2nd time around...can I HB if....

traceyann1980

Reaction score
I am under consultant led care? I have yet to see a MW, only my consultant, due to problems with DS birth. I have just been told I have GD due to having a large baby previously. I had a 4th degree tear but have had no incontinence problems over 6 years until this pregnancy (slight accidents starting to happen :blush:) plus DS was over 4kg and i had PPH following forcep delivery after 23 hours in labour as he had turned (or was already transverse and not picked up before) I had such a horrible time with DS and have been scared by consultants saying I may need a CS or induction if growth scans show LO is big. I've read up on growth scans and there is a 10% error margin so they are not exactly accurate! My OH is scared that if I had LO at home and history repeats itself I could have a lot of problems especially with the PPH. I lost a LOT of blood and it took 2 hours to stop me bleeding. I didnt see DS for 3 hours. He wants me to do whatever the doctor tells me to do....am I being naive for thinking I could do things my own way...if not HB then at the least a water birth or something equally as natural instead of being stuck on a bed. I only had an epidural last time because the told me if I didnt have it I would be too tired to push and I needed sleep as my labour was so long so I was doing ok without any pain relief until I was bed riddden (gas and air made me sick!) Any advice would be appreciated

I think it would be worth de briefing your birth. You may be able to work out why it went the way that it did. Interventions often lead to more interventions and on a very basic level the interventions may have contributed to the outcome. There is no reason you shouldn't be considering a home birth. Even women who consultants feel are very high risk are perfectly entitled to have a home water birth. A water birth in hospital may be much more difficult to negotiate but not impossible. It's worth checking out your local home birth group and I'd recommend getting your notes back from yiure previous birth from the medical records department at yur hospital. You could arrange to go over them with an independent MW or doula who can help you decipher which interventions put you are risk of forceps and PPH. once you understand your previous birth with someone who is not affiliated with your consultant or hospital, you can make a more informed and objective decision in whether home birth is a good option for you as an individual x

Unfortunately my previous notes I already know have been doctored...I remember reading them on the drive home and they had said it was ventouse when it was forceps....that my waters were clear and only went just before pushing when it was 4 hours before pushing and had muconium (DS caught an infection) plus they made a load of stuff up about my transfusion as it was actually me who limped to the nurses desk to ask to see my blood test results 2 days after giving birth as I felt weak and you could see through my skin...I then noticed my Hb level was stupidly low and thats when they ordered the blood (i had done 2 years nursing degree) after trying to tell me I was weak because of the spinal block wearing off (I had been prepped fpr an ECS). So I dont thimk my notes will help much! Thank you tho and I think I will have a chat with the MW at my GP surgery.

birthing a big baby isnt a reason why you should have trouble again and if you were on your back to me that would explain the forceps delivery as its harder on your back the bigger the baby is in my own experience

ds1 was 9lb 10oz and i was on my back it was ventouse delivery, ds2 10lb 12oz and i was on my side, i did tear but not any more than the lenght of the episiotomy from ds1 lol this one i know is gonna be big again and plan to waterbirth this one ( was my intention with both boys but didnt happen for different reasons each time ) and i'll be doing this one at home, i have shared care consultant, MW and GP and have yet to discus my wishes with them as i hope to know within the next week or so if we are moving areas before baby is born which would mean changing MW and GPalthough id still be going to the same hospital

Even without the notes your recollection told to someone imapartial will help you make sense of things. Unfortunately mws are bound by NHS procedures and protocols so might not give you the full unbiased picture.....which is why going to a local home birth group will be good as there are usually independent mws and doulas there who you can pick the brains of for free!

Even without the notes your recollection told to someone imapartial will help you make sense of things. Unfortunately mws are bound by NHS procedures and protocols so might not give you the full unbiased picture.....which is why going to a local home birth group will be good as there are usually independent mws and doulas there who you can pick the brains of for free!

Would a doula or IM do a one off visit to go through your notes even if you wernt pregnant? I really want to go through mine but not with one of the MW from the hospital since they will try to make reasons that arent vaild for what they did.

Definitely Lozzy. A full debrief and an unbiased objective look atbyour notes. The Northern Doula network or Durham Doula might be a good place to start. They will be able to point you at IMs in your area so you could have either.

What do you think they would charge for a one off visit?

Eta, One does a debrief for £60, a Rebecca Wright. Just wondering if you have bumped into her at some point? IE is she any good lol

She is simply amazing. Honestly Lozzy I'd have her as my own doula in a heartbeat. Very wise, very knowledgeable woman. I posted an article of hers on my Facebook page yesterday actually.

Thanks, Dont think i have you on FB.

I think il email her when iv got a copy of my notes, Just need to get OH to give me the money to get that, this should be fun:wacko:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->