2nd time mom attempting VBAC and worried!

BettieB

Reaction score
My DD was born at 35 weeks via csection due to severe preeclampsia. This time around I am attempting a vaginal delivery and I am completely clueless as to what to expect.

At my 39 week appointment yesterday my doc said that baby STILL had not dropped into my pelvis. She was going to try and sweep my membranes but couldn't because baby is still too high up. Is this normal? I'm afraid at this point I'm going to go over due and be forced to schedule another c section :(

I wasn't sure if I would go into labor like a FTM or an experienced one.
BTW I am 1cm dilated an 70% effaced

2nd ( and consecutive ) babies often don't drop until labor actully starts, so that is not unusual. As far as if you'll be overdue or not, only time will tell. Regardless of what # baby ur on doesn't really mean anything as far as when they come. I'm pg with my 5th, and I've been induced every time. My last baby, I was 41 wks, and they induced because my bp was high. The others were elective inductions. I'm hoping to go 100% natural this time! but we'll see.

2nd ( and consecutive ) babies often don't drop until labor actully starts, so that is not unusual. As far as if you'll be overdue or not, only time will tell. Regardless of what # baby ur on doesn't really mean anything as far as when they come. I'm pg with my 5th, and I've been induced every time. My last baby, I was 41 wks, and they induced because my bp was high. The others were elective inductions. I'm hoping to go 100% natural this time! but we'll see.

Ok. I was curious about it since I had a csection the first time baby never actually dropped into my pelvis ever and I didn't have a vaginal delivery. With VBAC's an induction is not possible either so my only options are wait it out or have a c section. An I do not want another csection gahhh!!

Ok. I was curious about it since I had a csection the first time baby never actually dropped into my pelvis ever and I didn't have a vaginal delivery. With VBAC's an induction is not possible either so my only options are wait it out or have a c section. An I do not want another csection gahhh!!

Induction is not impossible, it's not recommended using pictocin or cervical ripening gel, but they can use sweeps to encourage and foley blubs to induce.

I will be (hopefully) in your shoes in about 31 more weeks...(lol). I was induced and labored for 36 hours before my c-section (also due to severe pre-eclampsia) but I was only 33+5 and never got past 5cm. So I did dilate (somewhat) and have contractions for a while...And the foley blub was the most successful part of my induction. My OB preferred it to the gel/pessary types, they put a foley bulb in and inflate it, and it puts pressure on your cervix like the baby, the idea is that once you are 3-4cm along, your body will keep going. Mine kind of did. It caused irregular contractions for me (before they started the pictocin)

Induction is not impossible, it's not recommended using pictocin or cervical ripening gel, but they can use sweeps to encourage and foley blubs to induce.

I will be (hopefully) in your shoes in about 31 more weeks...(lol). I was induced and labored for 36 hours before my c-section (also due to severe pre-eclampsia) but I was only 33+5 and never got past 5cm. So I did dilate (somewhat) and have contractions for a while...And the foley blub was the most successful part of my induction. My OB preferred it to the gel/pessary types, they put a foley bulb in and inflate it, and it puts pressure on your cervix like the baby, the idea is that once you are 3-4cm along, your body will keep going. Mine kind of did. It caused irregular contractions for me (before they started the pictocin)
My doc is going to sweep my membranes as soon as she can since I hit the 39 week mark. Just waiting on baby to drop :( not trying to sound Whiney but I'm just very tired in a lot of pain and worried I will get stuck with a csection again which was an awful experience!!

You could try doing squats or use a birthing ball to open your pelvis and encourage baby to engage. Evening primrose is popular for helping soften the cervix. I use it, but I don't know about ladies who've had a c-section.

I had the same thing happen to me, 35 weeks and severe pre e with my first that resulted in a c-section. With my 2nd I did have a vbac, I had a sweep at 38 weeks and she was born 3 days later. This is my third pregnancy and as of today I've had four sweeps starting almost 2 weeks ago due to high blood pressure and added to that I have bilateral notching on my uterine artery.
The OB tried to get me to go for an induction today, but the hospital was too busy and as of right now I'm not high enough priority. If I don't go into labour on my own I will be induced with oxytocin and if that fails it's another c-section.

I had the same thing happen to me, 35 weeks and severe pre e with my first that resulted in a c-section. With my 2nd I did have a vbac, I had a sweep at 38 weeks and she was born 3 days later. This is my third pregnancy and as of today I've had four sweeps starting almost 2 weeks ago due to high blood pressure and added to that I have bilateral notching on my uterine artery.
The OB tried to get me to go for an induction today, but the hospital was too busy and as of right now I'm not high enough priority. If I don't go into labour on my own I will be induced with oxytocin and if that fails it's another c-section.

Thank you! Your answer gave me some of te insight I was looking for. And I will be keeping my fingers crossed for you that you don't need a c section! Hope lo arrives soon for us both!

BettieB I'm largely in the same boat as you. A failed induction last time resulted in an emergency section for me, desperately hoping for a VBAC this time.
Unless something happens naturally (which is what I'm hoping for!) the plan in place for me is to have a sweep at 40+2, if that does nothing I will be asked to go into the day assessment unit at 41 weeks so they can have a good look to see how favourable I am. If I am favourable, they may take me to the labour ward to break waters in order to induce, I'm not sure if they can do the pessary if I'm a VBAC.. but anyway if I'm not favourable they will schedule a csection.
Dreading another section so I'm desperate for this little lady to do her thing!

Im in the same boat too. Plan is to sweep me at 39 wks and again at 40 wks if nothing happens. If I get to 41 I will be seen by my consultant who will sweep again and book me in for a elcs at 41+3.

I had an emcs with dd after a 43 hr labour where I failed to progress, even on syntocinon. I made it to 8 cm but DD went into fetal distress so it was an emcs. I really don't want another section and im really hoping for vbac. The consultant wont induce and wont let me have synto again so if I do labour spontaneously she will give me 12 hours and if I haven't progressed then its an emcs.

Good luck ladies who are attempting vbac! I will let you all know how my experience goes. I've been more tired and crampy this week. My next appointment isn't until my due date next week. Hoping that I have made some progress and that we can do a sweep. I sure hope!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->