35wks 0 days: Apgar 1, glucose IV, trouble feeding, phototherepy

By the way, did anyone here ever get an MRI only to find out that their baby was A-OK -- no problems whatsoever? That would be great to hear too, right now.

My lo was born at 25 weeks. Her agpar scores were 1, 4 & 7. She had no heart beat so was resuscitated. Her birth notes in her discharge summary Is awful to read! She also had a grade IV ivh. Despite all this she is walking, talking and meeting all her milestones for being 17 months corrected.

I hope everything goes well with your lo.

Niamh was given an ultrasound to check for a possible bleed but there was nothing.

my daughter was born at 27+1 at 3lb 4oz with an apgar score of 2 then 7 she is now all caught up on everything except weight

We just got done with feeding. He's not getting better. He sleeps. He contorts his face and body. I'm in pieces about this. I think that he may have been hurt -- it's looking a lot like CP.

to be honest most babies get tierd easily when trying to feed and some are simply not interested in eating, i think your LO is fine and in time he will show more interest

We just got done with feeding. He's not getting better. He sleeps. He contorts his face and body. I'm in pieces about this. I think that he may have been hurt -- it's looking a lot like CP.

the contortion of the face may be a sign of reflux, my son had reflux and we went home on medication

Thank you for posting and saying that you think he'll be fine.

Hi TCB, congratulations on the birth of your little one! My son was born 14 years ago at 32 weeks weighing 2440g (5lb 6oz) and was kept in SCBU for 4 weeks, he did not feed until he was 4 weeks old and once he did they let us go home. When he was born they thought his intestine wasn't properly formed but it was fine, he had severe jaundice to the point they were considering doing a full blood transfusion to get rid of it but after 2 weeks phototherapy treatment it started to clear up on its own. He wasn't the healthiest baby in there but by no means was he the worst!
Fast forward 14 years my son is now a healthy and happy year 9 who excels at science and history and amazes me every day with his insight, compassion and intellect :)
Keep your chin up, I know how hard it can be in SCBU as there is so much worry and stress during this time but you will get to take your baby home soon!
xx

I thought I'd let you know that we got the MRI results back and the doctor says that there seems to be no major issues. I hesitate to say this out of respect for my baby, but the doctor did say that she noticed some small white spots on the MRI that could have been caused by lack of oxygen at birth -- but these spots are probably nothing to stress over, and many people have simmilar spots. That said, the doctor wants to check on the baby ocasaionaly over the next year to be sure. So, all and all, the tests came back clean and we were relived.

But he STILL won't eat!!! Tomorrow he will be 37 weeks gestational age and he will only eat about 20-35cc per feeding (some of that is BF some of it from a bottle). He sleeps as soon as he gets a taste of milk. And he sleeps a lot in general. It is driving me crazy. And all I can think about is "maybe the MRI isn't showing the whole picture" or "maybe those tiny white spots are in the most crucial places"!

One of the nurses -- who looks like she's been around the block a few times -- tells me that I need to be patient and my boy will be feeding properly soon. I'm trying but I HATE THIS.

Just be patient... Remember your baby is full term in 3 weeks, not now. It's really hard, but it's a good thing to remember. My baby went home at 28 weeks, and that last week was HARD with him doing ok, then refusing to wake for the feed AT ALL. Having that much each feeding is awesome. They defintely tend to wake up after full term age in most cases :)

Little boys are notoriously lazy! My son only started feeding when he was 5 weeks old (would have been 37 wks gestation) and after a couple of no problems feeding we were allowed home. Remember, whilst they are sleeping they are growing and getting stronger! x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->