36 week appointment - is that it??

BoBo

Mummy to 2. 14mths apart
Reaction score
Hi ladies,

Can anyone tell me what happened at your 36 week MW/GP appointment?

My appointment should have been with my GP, but as I had to go for a glucose tollerance test, my MW wanted to see me about the results.

My results were fine and all my other bloods came back ok. I had my BP and urine checked as usual and had my fundal height measured and listened for LO's heartbeat... but that was it... just a standard appointment.

The thing is, as I had this appointment with my MW, my 38 week will be with my GP and then I wont get to see my MW again until 40 weeks. So when will I go through my birthplan, or discuss what happens when I go overdue etc?

I am just a little worried as my baby is measuring large for gestational age and I dont have any info. I am starting to freak out about labour now as I have now idea how big my baby will actually be. I haven't discussed my options with her at all. She just asked me where I planned to give birth and then said "OK, well ring the number for the labour ward when you go into labour"... This is my first baby so I would have thought I would have been given a bit more info... is this all I get?

Sorry for the long post!

I was speaking about this to my MW last week, as I would have thorught they would be talking about it by now! she said we can talk about it at my next appointment, but I get the impression they're not really into birth plans up here! To be honest i'm pretty chilled, but there are a few things I want to ensure, such as pain relief, what happens if i end up wiht a c-section, that sort of thing...If i was you, I would personally make another appointment with your MW to discuss your concerns and birth plan as it wouldnt be good not to discuss before labour...Best of luck and take care of you and bump

Yeah they're just routine appointments I'm afraid and will be til you're overdue then you might be offered a sweep x

Did you not go to antenatal classes?

As above...they're only check ups. I've always had to bring things up myself if I have any problems.

Thanks ladies.

Yeah I went to NCT, I guess i'm just begining to have a bit of panic now! xx

I feel the same, thought they would tell me what to expect over next few weeks.
At 24 weeks she mentioned anti natal classes but I'm now nearly 35 weeks and hasn't mentioned any since!
I want a water birth too so do I just turn up at hospital n ask if the pools available? Lol
I feel like you don't get told anything
X

My mw discussed birthplan at 34 weeks. Perhaps you could book in with her before your 40th week to make sure you are able to ask everything you want to and put your mind at rest.
I think I may be lucky that I live in a remote area and the midwife doesnt have many people to see so she is freely available to me. However, midwife appts should be available whenever you want one!

xxx

I had an appointment with my midwife at 38 weeks and discussed my birth plan then - I thought it was a bit late but apparently that's standard for first pregnancies. Literally all she did though was ask me what I wanted, and put bullet points in my notes. I want a water birth too and she basically said 'that's fine, you don't have to book, just ring up when you're in labour and tell them you're midwife led care and want to have a water birth and they'll get a room ready for you if there's one free' - I thought the hospital would want to know more or something but apparently not. As far as any more appointments go - I had my 40 week appointment yesterday and it was JUST the same as every other appointment I've had - urine, BP, baby's heart rate, fundal height. Nothing at all about induction, as they apparently don't even consider that until you're actually overdue. I've got an appointment next week at 40+5 to 'discuss induction options' but I don't know whether they'll actually give me a sweep then or whether they'll just discuss the option of a sweep, then book me in for a sweep. From what the midwife said to me, they won't even book a proper induction in hospital until after 42 weeks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->