36 week appointment?

WndrlndsOwl

Mom of Jocelyn
Reaction score
Good morning ladies. My doctor said at my upcoming appointment for 36 weeks they were going to check my cervix and do a culture...do you know what the culture is for (I kind of missed exactly what she said). I do know if they said I tested positive that I would have to have a shot before I deliever to not pass it on to baby... and do they have to check me? There's no point, correct?

For the shot thing if I am positive...last time I was pregnant I hadnt made it that far (had an e-c section) at 33 1/2 weeks, my baby didn't get anything from me, does it change from pregnancy to pregnancy?

Thanks everyone.

Would it be group B strep? If you have it you can really only give it to bub as they pass through the birth canal and vagina. The needle during delivery protects them :)

Good morning ladies. My doctor said at my upcoming appointment for 36 weeks they were going to check my cervix and do a culture...do you know what the culture is for (I kind of missed exactly what she said). I do know if they said I tested positive that I would have to have a shot before I deliever to not pass it on to baby... and do they have to check me? There's no point, correct?

For the shot thing if I am positive...last time I was pregnant I hadnt made it that far (had an e-c section) at 33 1/2 weeks, my baby didn't get anything from me, does it change from pregnancy to pregnancy?

Thanks everyone.

its culture and sensitivity test done anywhere between 35 to 40 weeks ...they take a vaginal swab and test it for any kind of infection (that is in your vagina or rectum area ) ....if you test positive they give you a shot of antibiotics ....cause if baby contracts it while coming out it can be life threatening to their vulnerable system ...

since you had a c the last time there was no way for baby to contract it as baby did not pass through vagina as normal delivery...

I was told it was a strep culture. They want to make sure if you have it that they take precautions before delivery so you do not pass anything on to baby in the birth canal. My OB did both a vag and a rectal swab, and I have a scheduled C-Section on June 21st. The reason they check at my OB, even for those with Sections, is just in case the baby is born vaginally before a Section can happen (and she says it has happened more often than people think!). I had the same thing done with my last pregnancy, everything was negative, so I anticipate it will be this time as well. They simply want to be prepared, and I was cool with that.

Yup, it's a strep b culture, a very simple test that can save a baby's life. They will just give you antibiotics if you are positive. As for a cervix check, that's your choice if you want it. Some people are curious, others would rather not. It doesn't mean much, but I usually have him go ahead with the check.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->