36 yrs old, automatic recommendation for Amniocentesis?

discohospital

Reaction score
I'm just wondering if any of you over 35 have had your OB recommend amniocentesis due to your age alone? And did you do it?

I had my 1st tri bloodwork/ultrasound recently and was told the risk for Downs Syndrome was less than 1%. That's all they said, so I assumed all else was fine.

I then made my appointment for my second tri bloodwork/ultrasound and was told to expect to be there 2 hours as I'd be receiving "genetic counseling" due to being over 35. My understanding was this would be lots of questions, more bloodwork and the anatomy scan.

Yesterday I got a letter from my insurance saying they have approved my OB's request for Amniocentesis. I wasn't aware he'd requested that so being the worrying type my first thought was they'd found something and wanted a closer look, but why wouldn't they have told me? Then I realized it was likely just my age.

I'm afraid of amniocentesis!!!

I've had 3 miscarriages and don't want to do anything that could put me at risk for another, especially now in the second tri.

I admit I'd want to know if there is a detectable chromosomal abnormality, but I really don't like the idea of puncturing the amniotic sac. I'm not a doctor and I don't know best, I'm just talking about fear; I'm terrified of losing a healthy baby if something goes wrong during the procedure.

I will of course discuss this with my OB asap, I was just curious about other's experiences, and whether many people opt to go through with it or skip amniocentesis.

I've never heard of an amnio being done without a necessary reason because if the miscarriage risk. Seems crazy to do one on your age alone. I'm 36 and they said risk from 35-40 is pretty minimal, it's over 40 that is shoots up. If you are worried you can have the Harmony/NIPT test which is totally non invasive and is just bloods but is 100% accurate for downs etc. I would speak to your OB and see why it was requested, seems a bit strange to me and I would refuse if it's for age alone xx

im 38 and will be 39 when I have this one and haven't been referred for an amnio x

I'm 37 tomorrow and was not offered an amnio. There is absolutely no way I would have one. My chance of Downs based on my bloods and nuchal thickness was about 1:700 which I decided to take. If it had been higher I would have gone for the Harmony or one of the other tests where they can do a fetal karyotype from a maternal blood sample.

I think amnio will disappear pretty quickly from the battery of tests offered now that the non-invasive testing methods are available.

I'd be pretty angry if I were in your position - sounds a bit like your OB has requested a high risk test without appropriate counselling in order to get more money from your insurance company.

That test scares the life out of me too! If you're low risk and you don't want to do it - don't! There are less invasive tests and it sounds unnecessary to me. I'd call your doctor first and give him the benefit of the doubt though - who knows, maybe it was just a mistake.

There's no reason to do an amnio if there are no indications to have one - age alone is not a reason to have one done. I would refuse unless your doctor has given you an actual medical reason that indicates need.

I haven't been able to get a straight answer yet as the doctor is busy today, but the office seems to think it was ordered "just in case", but I wouldn't be doing it unless there is some need (that has yet to be determined).
Hopefully the doctor can confirm that soon enough, they scared me!

And thank you for sharing your experiences, it did help sort of set me up to be comfortable saying NO if there was no good reason to do it.

I would not. I am 36 and as with prior pregnancies was given the various options.
I have noticed though that an OBGYN may put orders in ahead of time... well i have noticed this with like bloodwork, glucose screening, etc. when they did that, i thought
"oh they are on the ball" but those are routine tests, that are highly recommend for all. I am wondering if he was trying to think ahead and just putting it in the system? Just curious but honestly it was probably unnecessary for him to do without seeing if it was anything you were interested in at all.

And in all honestly, I would not do that test.
You'll know what is best for you and baby :)

I was 36 last year when pregnant with my son and no one ever mentioned an amnio or anything at all to do with my age!

On my notes I'm a 'geriatric mother' :haha: have only just turned 36 😂

No way I would have one unless i absoloutley needed one.

I had the NIPT and was happy with my results from it, if they had suggested amnio based on low risk results I'd have refused.

No, definitely not. I've not even seen an OB thank god! I'm 37. My pregnancy hasn't been treated any differently this time than my previous pregnancy (when I was 32). The only slight difference was I got offered the GTT if I wanted it because I'm about 10 lbs heavier this time than before. I declined it though as I can't see how 10 lbs makes any difference to me getting GD when my lifestyle is otherwise the same as it was 10 lbs ago. But no, personally I wouldn't have an amnio done even if offered as it wouldn't tell me anything I especially feel like I need to know that I couldn't find out through other investigations. Even if I did flag up as high risk for something, I'd be more comfortable relying on ultrasound scans and other tests than taking the same chance of having a mc with an otherwise healthy baby.

I’m 37 and almost 26 weeks pregnant. I see the midwives, however the OB who reviewed both my NT and anatomy scans offered me the option of invasive testing for chromosomal abnormalities (amniocentesis or chronic villus sampling) because of my age (but did not push it). I opted to just go by the ultrasound and blood work, given both came out low risk. I would discuss with your OB, but ultimately it’s your body and your baby and you get to make the decision. I had my rainbow at 35 years old and she’s been super healthy. They offer those procedures to “older” moms b/c theoretically there’s a higher risk for certain issues, but plenty of women are having perfectly healthy children in their late 30s and early 40s. I hope you have a healthy rest of pregnancy!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->