• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

37 or 38 weeks?

ab75

3 Gorgeous Kids
Reaction score
I have been told by my consultant that I can have a home birth as long as baby comes after 37 weeks. When midwife phoned last week she said she will be out to see my some time this week and that I will be allocated an on call midwife for home birth from 37+6 as I can only have a home birth from 38 weeks. I plan on querying it when she visits this week but just wondered if you ladies had any advise, experience xx

I think its usually from 37 weeks with the NHS? Complications over 37 weeks are very rare, especially if you go into labour naturally. There is a slightly higher risk of baby having problems at 37 weeks if you are induced or have a CS but you don't usually go into labour naturally until the baby is ready. I have an independent MW and she is willing to deliver at home from 36 weeks. She is very experienced and I trust her judgement so as long as there are no extra complications I'm happy to stay at home from 36 weeks. Even with the NHS I'd probably choose to stay any time after about 36+5. Ultimately its your choice, they can't make you go to hospital. Of course its good to take medical advice into account but if you are getting two different sets of information just go with what makes sense to you.

Thanks for your reply. Both my previous labours have been spontaneous and problem free. Dd1 34+5 and dd2 38+5. I would stay at home anytime from 36 weeks, was just more concerned that she said I would only have access to a midwife from 38 weeks. I will definitely be speaking to her about it when she comes out this week. Thanks again xx

You are in the UK aren't you? In which case it is their legal responsibility to support the choice you make. If you stay at home and ask for a MW they have to send one. Of course under extreme circumstances when they are understaffed it could be tricky but in theory they can't tell you there won't be a MW available.

Yes I am in Scotland. Thanks I will definitely be pushing for it xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
amama
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->