37 weeks and separate beds :(

MrsJones1986

Reaction score
So after having a pretty easy ride with regards to sleep, it is now becoming a constant battle. I am up several times in the night to go to the loo, need about 6 pillows surrounding my body just to get comfy, I toss and turn, I snore, my back and hips ache....the list goes on. So much so that neither of us get any sleep and my husband and I have recently resorted to separate beds. This is a huge benefit to both of us as we actually get some sleep, however I'm worried we might get used to it and once baby comes this could be a permanent arrangement!

A few people I've spoken to tell me we've done really well to have got to 37 weeks without a night apart. But I just wondered what other people's thoughts and sleeping arrangements were while heavily pregnant and what happened once baby arrived? X

We have to sleep apart some nights as I just can't get comfortable or because my 3 year old decides she does not like her bed and wants to come in with me. It is a passing phase and you will have some nights apart over the next few months but it should not become a regular thing. I found it important the first time round to allow husband to sleep so at least there is one semi functioning person in the house to do all the other stuff while you recover and look after baby.

My hubby and I never slept apart and I have 2 kids soon to be 3. However I remember on vacation pregnant 28 weeks with my first we slept in separate beds bc I just needed to be alone and the bed was too small etc. it was great! Once we went home to our king size we went back to sleeping together. Don't worry it won't become a habit after if u don't let it xx

We wouldn't sleep apart but that's just us, I've only been away from him about two weeks overall in eight years!
We have a king size bed though so even with being uncomfortable there is enough space. We had a double last time and I felt much more uncomfortable!
Baby slept in our room until six months, we stayed in same bed, we had no spare to sleep in then!
If you have to sleep apart get actually get some it's no big deal!

I've slept separate since 35 weeks. I'm so uncomfortable, constantly up to the bathroom and needing pillows for support. Hubby gets up for work at 445 so I felt bad always waking him up. It's not an ideal situation but I can roll around, moan and groan without worrying about waking him :haha:

As I was reading your post, I was jealous that you made it to 37 weeks. I have been sleeping in the spare room essentially the entire pregnancy... I hate it... but my OH is the worst sleeper in my house...he has a lot of problems with insomnia and if I get up more than 1 time per night he is up ....

I have been making a big deal about it.. that he's just going to have to deal with it once baby gets here!! since the spare room is the baby's room and I don't think that she should have to share her room!! So the plan is once baby is here back in the same bed!

I would suggest talking about it and putting together a plan that it not be permanent. But right now you'll probably sleep better on your own :)

Kim

When I was pregnant with dd I had reflux and heartburn so bad that I would choke in the night and choke so bad I'd end up vomiting in the bed (did this 3 times before realizing something had to give ) I started sleeping in the recliner so I was elevated. I had the same fears as you and after dd was born (I had to have an emcs) our bed was too high for me to climb into because it hurt so bad, so for the first 3 weeks I slept on the couch with dd next to me in her bassinet. After those three weeks and I could move easier without so much pain I started sleeping in our bed again and it's been fine ever since!! Don't worry .. you have to do what you have to do, just make sure you both understand its not permanent and not to get used to it!!

Don't worry, it won't become a regular thing. It's just important for you to get your sleep now, while you can. So do what you have to do...and when baby comes, reevaluate :) I also made it to 35 weeks, and the past few nights have been challenging. I've debated going into the other room to sleep, but quite frankly I'm too exhausted to move haha.

So don't stress!

I wish we slept apart these last few weeks!!!!! I've been so physically miserable at night and go pee every hour !!!! I just felt bad and didn't want to kick him out. I have tons of pillows too and he ends up sleeping in the edge of his side of bed. We have a queen. Tonight's last night before I go to hospital so maybe I'll kick him out tonight so I can't get a more decent sleep.

Do what you can to sleep! You'll be back in same bed eventually !

Sleep is the most important thing! And when the baby comes you'll probably find you'll spend some nights apart so at least one of you can get some decent sleep. I worried about it too, but it is a passing phase :)

I've never done it while pregnant, however we have if one of us our sick and constantly coughing, etc. We also slept apart when he broke his rib and he had to sleep in the recliner for about a week or two. Just tell him how you really feel, I know if it this were me and I told my OH how I feel he would probably laugh and say that is adorable that I'm worried it would be permanent. I'm sure you will be fine. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->