37 wk growth scan (bit of a long rant, soz!)

AngieBaby

Proud mummy of Sarah Mae
Reaction score
Well I had my growth scan today at 37 weeks (I was referred at the begining of the PG as I am am on tablets for high BP, although I haven't had high BP throughout the pregnancy) and when I asked how it had gone the MW said everything looked fine: baby was in the correct position, the aminio fluid levels were fine and everything looked normal.

However, when I saw the consultant afterwards he said it was inconclusive - what the heck does that mean?? He wants me to have another scan in 2 weeks time (39 weeks) to make sure everything is OK??? Whan I asked if he wanted to do this because he thought the baby was too big or too small, that was when he said it was inconclusive. I am now really worried that he thinks something's wrong and he's not telling me. :cry:

Later, when I looked at my notes, they haven't put the form in like they did at the 32 wk growth scan so I can't make any comparisons between the two scans. However, when I look at what he's written in my notes he's put the fetal length in at 41cm for 37 weeks - so that must be what he is concerned about - why couldn't he just tell me that! Also, I was just measured at my mw appt on Thursday and she measured me at 36cms for 37 weeks (which is what I have been all the way through, i.e.. -1cm). So how come in 6 days I've leapt 5 cms?? Impossible - he must have measured me incorrectly.

On the plus side, the consultant has said that I will be induced on my due date if the baby hasn't come before then and I'm pleased about that, but he has worried the hell out of me in the process!!

Sorry about the length of this - I needed the rant!

I also have high BP and am being monitored too as was told the main problem with high bp is small babies/restricted growth (and pre-eclampsia of course!).

I would think maybe he's just being careful but that he is happy to leave it another 2 weeks before you are scanned again must be a good sign?

Try not to stress :hugs: ...The mw measures ur fundal hieght not your baby and the scan will have measured the baby and that seems a little small but nothing to worry about as my babys are all small but perfect :cloud9:

Try not to stress :hugs: ...The mw measures ur fundal hieght not your baby and the scan will have measured the baby and that seems a little small but nothing to worry about as my babys are all small but perfect :cloud9:

The consultant measured the fundal height too (with a tape measure on my tummy) that was the '41' entered in my notes. I don't know what the scan said about the actual baby's size as I didn't get the sheet with it on like I did at the 32 week scan. When you say it seems a bit small - did you mean the mw's fundal height of 36cm? It's just on the graph I have, it's just about where I should be - if he had put in the 41 it would have leapt off the scale!

I'm trying not to worry - but the more I think about it the more scared I become!! To think I was looking forward to the scan today too, before this!

aw hun! what alot of stress! Can you call up tommorrow and voice your concerns? Try to relax hun as if something was serious they would have you back much sooner!! xxx

The consultant measured the fundal height too (with a tape measure on my tummy) that was the '41' entered in my notes. I don't know what the scan said about the actual baby's size as I didn't get the sheet with it on like I did at the 32 week scan. When you say it seems a bit small - did you mean the mw's fundal height of 36cm? It's just on the graph I have, it's just about where I should be - if he had put in the 41 it would have leapt off the scale!

I'm trying not to worry - but the more I think about it the more scared I become!! To think I was looking forward to the scan today too, before this!

I was thinking the 41 cm was length of baby via scan sorry ...Fundal height can vary lots due to babys postion and things i wouldnt worry xxx

aw hun! what alot of stress! Can you call up tommorrow and voice your concerns? Try to relax hun as if something was serious they would have you back much sooner!! xxx

Ahh, thanks hun.

I am going to ring my mw tomorrow and ask her. I'm not sure how much she will know as it was the hospital who did the tests today, but I have to ask or this will drive me insane with worry!

I'd do the same I'm stressed about something just now too and really annoyed cos i saw my midwife yesterday if i'd only thought about this yesterday!! At least the midwife can try and find out for you if she doesnt know the answers! Let us know how you get on! xxx

I'd do the same I'm stressed about something just now too and really annoyed cos i saw my midwife yesterday if i'd only thought about this yesterday!! At least the midwife can try and find out for you if she doesnt know the answers! Let us know how you get on! xxx

Will do - thanks a lot ladies - again! :hug:

PS, ring your mw and get answers to whatever is worrying you too :hug:

p.s dont you be thinking about this whilst youre trying to get to sleep!! The lack of sleep and stress isnt good for either of yous! :) xx

p.s dont you be thinking about this whilst youre trying to get to sleep!! The lack of sleep and stress isnt good for either of yous! :) xx

I'll try not to. I'm going to bed shortly. Feeling really tired now, probably cos I'm worried lol!

Take care :hug:
Ang

Well I had my growth scan today at 37 weeks (I was referred at the begining of the PG as I am am on tablets for high BP, although I haven't had high BP throughout the pregnancy) and when I asked how it had gone the MW said everything looked fine: baby was in the correct position, the aminio fluid levels were fine and everything looked normal.

However, when I saw the consultant afterwards he said it was inconclusive - what the heck does that mean?? He wants me to have another scan in 2 weeks time (39 weeks) to make sure everything is OK??? Whan I asked if he wanted to do this because he thought the baby was too big or too small, that was when he said it was inconclusive. I am now really worried that he thinks something's wrong and he's not telling me. :cry:

Later, when I looked at my notes, they haven't put the form in like they did at the 32 wk growth scan so I can't make any comparisons between the two scans. However, when I look at what he's written in my notes he's put the fetal length in at 41cm for 37 weeks - so that must be what he is concerned about - why couldn't he just tell me that! Also, I was just measured at my mw appt on Thursday and she measured me at 36cms for 37 weeks (which is what I have been all the way through, i.e.. -1cm). So how come in 6 days I've leapt 5 cms?? Impossible - he must have measured me incorrectly.

On the plus side, the consultant has said that I will be induced on my due date if the baby hasn't come before then and I'm pleased about that, but he has worried the hell out of me in the process!!

Sorry about the length of this - I needed the rant!

Well, my MW rang today to say the reason the consultant wants another scan in 2 weeks time is because the baby measured 3.3kgs (7lbs) on the growth scan at 37 weeks - why the heck could he not have just said that, I've been worried sick!!! MEN!! They think the baby will be "big" at around 8.5 lbs at my due date - what's wrong with that?? I was really enjoying my pregnancy up until the scan - now I feel like all the shine has been taken away as the medical staff are so worried about something that I wasn't worried about at all! :cry:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvi.H.
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->