39 TTC and Secondary Infertility

rubiemckinney

Reaction score
I am TTC with my new husband but we have been experiencing secondary infertility. I went to see my OB/GYN but she doesn't seem to invested. I have tried for 3 months with her--a year before with no results. I did 3 rounds of clomid days 3-7 50mg, 50mg and 100 mg. I stopped this month to take a break. The clomid, estrogen and progesterone made me gain 20 lbs in those 3 months plus other side effects. I do ovulate per the CBEFM and I still have normal 28 day cycles with 5-6 days of bleeding. I have a 3 1/2 year old also.

Do you think that I should go see another OB/GYN or move onto a RE? These last 3 months have been an emotional roller coaster and I am getting tired. This is disappointing and its taking a toll on me.

Hi :flower:
I think it's really important to have a doctor that is supportive of your concerns and that you are comfortable and happy with. So if your current Dr. doesn't fit the bill, then I'd try to find another.

I would skip the ob and go straight to an RE. In my experience, obs are great for womens health and pregnancy, but not so good for infertility. Plus an RE can be much more aggressive, if that is something you are interested in.

Thank you for that information. This just seems so weird since I O on my own. Again, thanks for the heads up. I am getting a referral to a RE now.

I would skip the ob and go straight to an RE. In my experience, obs are great for womens health and pregnancy, but not so good for infertility. Plus an RE can be much more aggressive, if that is something you are interested in.

I agree. I'm also 39 and time is not on our side for this one. :growlmad: I O on my own as well, but I'm taking clomid to try to help me out. :wacko: I have an appt to see my RE in July and we may try an IUI at that point. Have you had your FSH etc tests done at all? I asked my Dr to run the entire Day three panel for me. I get the official results back on Thursday...wish me luck. :thumbup:

Have you read the book Inconceivable by Julia Indichova? It's a great book written by a woman going through secondary infertility. She was at a total loss, infertility treatments were not an option so she went on her own self-healing program and wound up conceiving naturally. It's really inspirational.

Going to a RE is a good idea. I would ask for some baseline day 3 bloodwork. I also have secondary infertility, and am also 39. I often get discouraged too, but staying open to the possibility of conceiving again keeps me hopeful.

I would try a RE especially if you have not had a full set of tests run yet. Has your partner had a semen analysis? Especially important since he is a different factor in the equation!

Have you ever had a post-coital test? That would help you determine if your cervical mucus is keeping spermies alive. Also, clomid can thin your uterine lining, were they doing US to check?

I'm also 39 but I don't think there's such a thing as secondary infertility at this age. It's just plain infertility. Age is the reason. Not to bring anyone down. I am still in the game and am going for ivf, but just by the virtue of us being older makes us more inclined to being infertile.
Stay positive everybody!

I'm also 39 but I don't think there's such a thing as secondary infertility at this age. It's just plain infertility. Age is the reason. Not to bring anyone down. I am still in the game and am going for ivf, but just by the virtue of us being older makes us more inclined to being infertile.
Stay positive everybody!

Secondary infertility just means that you've had a baby before. Primary infertility means that you don't have any children.

Yep, age does play a big factor, but I have to say that it's not always the only issue. I had primary unexplained infertility at 24, but conceived easily at 27 and 31 (which is not old by any means, but it is older than 24). Just because you are young, you are not guaranteed fertility, and just because you are in your late 30s, does not mean you will struggle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->