• Welcome back! The Xenforo Cloud migration is now complete. Thank you for your patience! NOTE: please make sure to report any issues to our Technical Support forum and we'll review ASAP.

39 weeks pregnant with severe aneamia. Help

Jembug

Reaction score
Hello, im 39 weeks pregnant and my iron levels have just come back at 8.8. Im seeing the doctor in the morning but Im now worried about the health of my baby??? Anyone have any experience on this? Also, anyone know what will be suggested on getting my levels up at this late stage? thanx to anyone who answers.

Thanx to everyone who replied, just thought Id update. The doctor has put me on stronger iron tablets and to be taken twice a day. The doctor gave me a copy of my blood resuts to take into hospital when I give birth. There was no talk about a blood or iron transfusion after I give birth, but I will keep an open mind, just in case? Thanx again ladies x x x

i got diagnosed with anemia 2 weeks ago.. my level was 9.9.. i got given iron tablets to take 3 times a day.. ive been told a quicker way to absorb iron is to take the tablets with pure orange juice..

Im not sure how it affects the baby.. im sure the baby takes as much iron as it needs too.. im also interested in how long it takes for your iron count to get so low.. i did ask my midwife but she never really said much about that..

hope you feel better soon.. you must be exhausted.. i know ive been sleeping a lot more recently from it.. xx

with my last pregnancy hun mine were 8.5 all the way from 28 weeks to birth Dr kept changing my iron tabs nowt worked they spoke about iron injections but it never happened, I got my bloods back last week low iron (Been fine all pregnancy) And MW said no point in starting tabs as they take 2 weeks to start working and i will more than likely not be pregnant then been advised to eat iron enriched food xxxx

Mine is very low too. Make sure you take the iron with orange juice or water as someone suggested, never with tea as it cancels it out. Try lots of greens and dark chocolate. x

ive got anaemia found out last week on tabs at mo,try eating these foods migth help:
* Liver
* Red meat
* Seafood
* Dried fruits such as apricots, prunes and raisins
* Nuts
* Beans, especially lima beans
* Green leafy vegetables, such as spinach and broccoli
* Blackstrap molasses
* Whole grains
* Iron-fortified foods like many breads and cereals (check the label)

I think it effects you more than the baby because the baby has probable took what she/he needed and has left you with low iron levels... I have low iron levels...i have suffered with them since I was 2... they will probably give you iron tablets...Ive also found also taking pregnancy vitimins that contain iron help as well =]

xx xx xx

I wouldn't class that as severe they will probably just give you iron tablets to take maybe 3 a day - every time you take one drink a big class of pure orange juice to help the iron absorb. If it was severe they would do a transfusion.

Many women get low iron levels in pregnancy and afterwards so make sure you keep taking the tablets as well as eating lots of foods that contain iron

xxx

8.8 is low at 39 weeks pregnant. The risks are more to you than to baby. If you lose a large amount of blood in delivery it would obviously send your iron count even lower. I'm not sure what they would offer at this stage, possibly iron injections or a transfusion following delivery depending on your blood loss. Try not to worry too much though, the baby takes what it needs from you, and you may not lose a lot of blood at delivery.

get some spatone - it is absorbed intop body quicker than tablets and cos it's natural can take more. i took 3 sachets a day in the morning in a glass of orange juice - 45 mins before brekkie and got my levels up significantly within about 10days. MWs were impressed. gogole it and you will see how good the stuff is. xxxx

my iron level is 7 and was put on 3 tabs a day nearly 2 weeks ago, they wanted to start me on iron injections but i said no, i had them after the birth of my second dd as again my iron was very low and i lost a lot of blood they wanted to give me a transfusion but i said no to that and started the injections and didnt have a good experience so i went for 3 pills a day when i found out a few weeks ago, but it is late in your pregnancy to find out its that low as it takes tabs 2 to 3 weeks to show any rise in iron level on bloods, if they do offer you the injections i would advise you to have them as it is a fast way of getting your level up i was just unlucky and got a bad midwife treating me which put me off but it aint that bad,

get some spatone - it is absorbed intop body quicker than tablets and cos it's natural can take more. i took 3 sachets a day in the morning in a glass of orange juice - 45 mins before brekkie and got my levels up significantly within about 10days. MWs were impressed. gogole it and you will see how good the stuff is. xxxx

Yeah this stuff is amazing, just make sure u dilute it with enough OJ though otherwise all u can taste is... well.. iron lol Tesco do 3 for 2, can get a bit pricey, maybe try hinting at getting it prescribed.. my levels werent low enough to warrant a prescription but i am gonna carry on taking spatone after pregnancy, didnt realise how bad i felt before i took this!

If you lose blood in labour you might need a transfusion afterwards, I needed 2 units put back in as I was anaemic and then had a post partum haemorrhage. I don't think PPH's are that common though so don't panic :hugs: Try not to worry, as others have said your baby will have taken all the iron needed and will be fine. A transfusion isn't as awful as it sounds either, I had mine while eating my lunch lol, they just put a drip into your hand attached to a bag of blood, it stings a bit but it was fine xx

I finally had my labs drawn 2 weeks ago and my hgb came back at 8.9. I was pretty symptomatic too. Lots of dizziness and feeling like I was going to pass out. I got sent to labor And delivery to see if it had gone any lower and decide if they wanted to transfuse. They didn't as they normally transfuse when it hit 7. They took me off work and I was told to take 325 my fes04 3 x/day. I'm pretty sure once I give birth though I will most likely need a transfusion as after I had my son last time I ended up needing one. I suppose we will see this time around. Also doesn't help as my baby just turned 1 today and here I am 33 weeks preg. My ob said that it can cause premature labor.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mummynugs
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"