3D/4D ultrasounds... what do YOU think?

MissJess0707

Expecting baby number 1
Reaction score
Hey everyone.

I let a close girlfriend know that OH and I were thinking of going to get a 3D ultrasound in January. OH works away from home, and there's only been one instance when he was able to be there for a scan, and he desperately wants to see our LO in action like I have. Plus the keepsake photos, CD and DVD of the session are things we can show LO, and keep always.
My girlfriend practically jumped down my throat! She stated that elective ultrasounds are wrong, and it's risk we do not need to take. That she wanted to get one, but once she realized that she was 'fine' without the extra, she would never put her baby through it.

What's your take on it? I've done some reading, and I have to say I'm still stuck in the middle. LO is kicking away right now, so I know (s)he feels strongly about it, but unfortunately LO can't talk yet. I know its the same technology and frequency as the ultrasounds from my OB's office. The only legitimate information I can see worrying about is the duration of the exposure.

Sorry for the long winded post. If you've had this service done, or if you never would PLEASE PLEASE let me know. I really want to make the right choices for my family, and I hate my OH being left in the dark until birth.

Jess

I had a 3d/4d scan on Tuesday and it was great! Baby wouldn't play ball though and kept his/her face hidden all the time. Our scan was done by a family friend, herself pregnant with her second baby. She uses the scanner all the time to see her baby, a perk of the job as she put it, so I don't think she would be doing that if there were serious risks!

It's really up to you and your OH to decide if you'd like to have one and I'd be pretty pissed if a friend of my voiced their opinion about my choices too strongly.

It's really up to you and your OH to decide if you'd like to have one and I'd be pretty pissed if a friend of my voiced their opinion about my choices too strongly.

I agree with that. It should be our choice. It did bother me a bit that she was so quick to enforce her opinion, but she's normally only forceful when it's something important to her. I just don't know now!

I'm planning to get a 3D/4D ultrasound later on and I'm already psyched for it. Don't let your friend ruin your plans. There are women who have to get ultrasounds every week because they are high risk and their babies aren't harmed at all.

I had one two weeks ago, I was struggling with not knowing the gender (also knowing, I'd need time to come to terms with the fact I prefered one over another).. I found it was an amazing bonding experience.. whilst my OH comes with me to the normal scans, things are so much more.. PERSONAL in 4D.. my OH cried, it touched him (and me) and I think your OH would love to know he's part of the babies life already.. even though it's not growing in him.

I got a disc with the photo's in, and about 20 printed off too, they were lovely, and over all made the experience so nice.

I'm glad I had one, I felt it helped me bond a bit better with the baby, and you also SEE it properly.. they show you the spine, skull, legs.. everything in more depth rather than quick NHS sizing scan ... I think it's a FANTASTIC idea especially as your OH works away.. it will be enough of a "high" for him to last a while.. he will feel touched for a long time rather than when he's home/around for any appointments,

My opinion anyway :) xxx

I'm planning to get a 3D/4D ultrasound later on and I'm already psyched for it. Don't let your friend ruin your plans. There are women who have to get ultrasounds every week because they are high risk and their babies aren't harmed at all.

This is true! Quite a few people have multiple scans all the time cos of baby issues... they are all fine :) xxx

I think my OH and I are the only people on the planet who think this way, but when we first saw 3D/4D scans we both said at the same time 'Oh my god those are so creepy!' That's the only reason why I wouldn't have one. If you want one, you go and get it! I think if there was seriously a risk then those place would all be shuttered (says the woman who is freaking out about an airport scanner, oh the hypocrisy).

Your friend is totally entitled to NOT get a scan when/if the time comes and it's her choice, you do whatever you want, she doesn't have the right to dictate to you.

My midwife said it should be fine - she warned against daily use of dopplers but she reckons ultrasounds, even if you have one or two more than usual, are fine. Even if you had an extra scan than normal it's not a regular thing, and the people who do them are very highly trained.

You hear a lot of scare-mongering when you're pregnant and I think it's about making choices that are right for you depending on your situation. There's risk involved in everything - even crossing the road! - and if you listened to every horror story out there you'd never leave the house or eat anything other than dry toast :) I'm trying to approach it in terms of there being very little actual risk in the vast majority of things you're warned against, and it's really about whether it would cause you more stress/worry than it's worth.

It sounds like it would also be a fab bonding experience for your OH and your little one, and as it's quite hard to keep the menfolk involved during pregnancy I'd say that would be a big plus. On the other hand, if it would cause you worry or stress then that's no good. Clearly your friend would find the whole thing much too stressful - but if you and your OH could have a scan and relax and enjoy it, and get something positive from it, then it's something to consider.

xx

That's how I feel about it. I know women go for way more scans than I do, and I know many women who have had the 4D done and were so amazed and felt so much closer to their LO. I think I should do it. OH was extremely emotional when I said that maybe we shouldn't. He already talks to LO every day, and is involved emotionally. We do just want him to feel included. Plus he's jealous now that I can feel LO moving, and he can't yet. You've been really helpful. I should just make up my own mind, and not worry about being judged by everyone around me. Thanks, ladies. I'm surprised no one has had any negative outlook on this yet. I assumed there'd be at least one or two voices on the negative team.

Sorry to double-post about this, but it's things like this which really get up my backside. Ask your friend if you can see her Grand Wizard Queen of All Baby Radiation Knowledge badge, and once she shows you that then, OK, maybe listen to her. Grrrr!

You hear a lot of scare-mongering when you're pregnant and I think it's about making choices that are right for you depending on your situation. There's risk involved in everything - even crossing the road! - and if you listened to every horror story out there you'd never leave the house or eat anything other than dry toast :) I'm trying to approach it in terms of there being very little actual risk in the vast majority of things you're warned against, and it's really about whether it would cause you more stress/worry than it's worth. xx

That's what I'm thinking about. There are risks associated with nearly everything!

Ask your friend if you can see her Grand Wizard Queen of All Baby Radiation Knowledge badge, and once she shows you that then, OK, maybe listen to her. Grrrr!

This made me laugh so much! I should ask her for that! :haha:

My OH won't have one as he said it's cheating!! Lol
He does have a point!

I plan on finding out the gender at my anatomy scan anyway, so I guess if I already cheat, I can't be faulted for cheating on the same thing twice!

Put it this way if they were that dangerous it would be a well known fact like smoking is and the private scans wouldn't be offered, they offer high risk babies lots of scans so if it were that dangerous would they put the more vunerable at more risk? I think i couple of etra scan are compeltely fine, and your friend has her opinion but she should atleast let you make your own opinion too :) I'd go for it if i were you especially for your OH. I'm having one the 10th of december :) x

My OH won't have one as he said it's cheating!! Lol
He does have a point!

This is kind of how I feel - I'm only finding out gender because it makes things easier for my family back in the States, so I want to leave a little mystery. Plus I'm too scared I'll see a little '666' on the baby's forehead!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelMom1012
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->