3rd stage active management?

baskinps

Reaction score
I've discussed active management with my support midwife, but now I'm rethinking it. I don't really understand why it's so necessary. She told me I would get a jab in my thigh of oxytocin as baby is coming out to accelerate detachment of the placenta....I don't know, it kind of sounds to me like dealing with an issue that isn't there. I havent really been anxious about things going wrong during labour so being told that this is necessary is a huge WHY for me. I also can't help but wonder what this extra jab of oxytocin will do for my pain management, because I know induction makes contractions much harder. I think I am going to talk about it with my head midwife next week as I havent seen her in a few weeks and see if it's possible to opt for active management only if it proves to be necessary at the time. Does anyone have any experiences (good or bad) with active 3rd stage management??

thanks ladies!

This thread is worth reading both fr the information and members experiences :flower:

https://www.babyandbump.com/home-natural-birthing/596098-physiogical-v-managed-third-stage.html

I was induced, but not given Oxytocin until AFTER delivery. I really didn't feel anything from it. I plan to ask not to have it for my next delivery though. I want to breastfeed right after birth to get the natural oxytocin. I didn't have that option with Taylor as she had already passed. (I still would have opted for natural 3rd stage though, but they didn't ask me/ give me an option.

I don't understand why you HAVE to have it either, some hospitals just seem to do it as a matter of course, I wont be having it...

you dont HAVE to have anything, if you'd prefer natural 3rd stage make it very clear to them. they cant give you anything without consent.
ive had both, had the injection first time as i just though that was normal, i was asked first. i was vomiting after was horrible. when i was pregnant with freya i read more about letting the cord stop pulsating and about natural 3rd stage and was much better and no vomiting!! id definatly go natural in the future. xx

As ljo said you don't have to have anything but to be fair they don't quite couch it in those terms.....'I'm just going to give you this injection to help the placenta, ok?' just as youve given birth isn't exactly an informed decision. It's rare for it to be even raised before that moment. Obviously it makes their lives easier to not tell you all your options so that you chose the option they prefer.....

I was asked quite early on in labour with imm then again later was surprised they asked, this time I put it in my plan so she didn't have to ask. But I know as a nurse I would get in serious trouble injecting someone without consent and telling them what it is/why they need it so they can make an informed decision. If I told them I was going to give it and not let them make a decision it's actual bodily harm. When I had epidural with imm they came in with a list of potential problems on laminated paperand asked oh to read it and give consent! Wtf! I took it off him ha ha it's my body not oh's!!

I guess there's informed consent and informed compliance....and different ways of gaining both!

Unfortunately!

Eta about the compliance and the ways they go about it, not the consent lol. X

I had a physiological 3rd stage with my third baby, because the injection makes me very VERY :sick: and I just dont see the point? Also, theres a world of benefits to be had from waiting until the cord has stopped pulsating before cutting it. It took me an hour to push the placenta out (as opposed to 4 minutes of pushing my baby out :haha:) but the experience was a million times better than puking up for three hours after the injection and not being able to hold my baby. I would recommend a physiological third stage to anyone. Like you say, the injection is used when there probably isnt even going to be a problem! The hunan race would never have survived if all women bled to death on delivery of the placenta :wacko:

I opted for the active management with my dd as it was "standard of care" and that was what my dh and I decided we would do (more for his comfort as he was a little worried about having our baby at home so he wanted everything "standard"). The shot was given after my dd was born, I delivered the placenta easily and delayed cord clamping until it stopped pulsating after the delivery. I had no ill effects from it in regards to sickness or anything and held my dd for at least an hour before they did everything they needed to do :)
This time around I'm opting for the natural route but my MWs make it clear that if there are any signs of issues in regards to 3rd stage (i.e. hemmoraging, etc.) they have the shot ready if necessary (really go through this in our home visit discussion).

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->