4 1/2 weeks - Still Spotting, Advice Please!

Marqelle93

Reaction score
I tested at 11 Dpo and got a BFP. Blood test confirmed at 12 dpo with hcg of 40. Two days later my follow up hcg showed 148,so the doctor was happy about that number. It's not been 3 more days (17dpo today).

I had dark brown spotting very lightly for a couple days around 12-14 dpo. I also had ligh, period like cramping. Then the spotting went away. Now today, 17dpo, I had a drop of more of a rust colored blood and the light cramping never went away, it's still pretty consistent. Dull, but there.

I'm really nervous because most of what I read says this is way too late to still be having implantation bleeding, and that only 25% of women have spotting or bleeding during the first trimester.

I don't have an appointment until I'm 8 weeks, in a month,and I don't know how to make it that long thinking I'm still pregnant if I'm really not.

Am I overreacting to one drop of dark blood and continuous cramping?

I'm sorry, it must be so worrying for you :hugs:. Unfortunately, there's not much you can do atm but wait it out. Are you having cramping at all? If you're still spotting around 6 weeks, you could go to emergency for a transvaginal u/s just to rule out ectopic or mc. Before 6 weeks they won't be able to see much. You could also get a couple more betas in the meantime to make sure your levels are still doubling.

Last edited:
I'm sorry, it must be so worrying for you :hugs:. Unfortunately, there's not much you can do atm but wait it out. Are you having cramping at all? If you're still spotting around 6 weeks, you could go to emergency for a transvaginal u/s just to rule out ectopic or mc. Before 6 weeks they won't be able to see much. You could also get a couple more betas in the meantime to make sure your levels are still doubling.
Am I allowed to request additional betas? They did not mention scheduling any addition blood work until my ultrasound at 8 weeks, but can I just ask for one?

Am I allowed to request additional betas? They did not mention scheduling any addition blood work until my ultrasound at 8 weeks, but can I just ask for one?
Yup you can ask, just explain you've had spotting and want to make sure things are progressing.

Hi hon I had spotting at 14dpo and then I had it on and off untill 7 weeks.
I also had a bleed at 6 weeks.
I've had 2 ultrasounds at 6+1 and another at 8+1 and baby measuring 2 days ahead and a lovely HB.
I'm now finding babies HB on my dopler at 172bpm.
Not sure what the bleed or the spotting was but my midwife said it's very very common in pregnancy esp first trimester.
And it can be implantation as that can go on as late as 8 weeks.

I wud say ures is definitely implantation as it sounds the exact same as I had at 14 dpo.
Was rusty color.

All my other spotting was pink and the bleed was a dull red.

I know its hard but try not to worry I'm a fine one to talk because I've done nothing but worry and seeing any blood makes u worry.
I'm sure it's just bub getting snug tho.

Have u tested again?

I haven't tested again because I felt like even if I was miscarrying, the test would still be positive since it would've happened yesterday, right?

The blood is definitely not red, its dark. It was brown the first couple days after I got my BFP, and yesterday's was a tad lighter, like rust. And it was one drop. I haven't had anymore since that drop.

My main worry is I've had very light period type cramps ever since I found out i was pregnant. I still feel them now, and they never really go away for long.

Hi hon I had spotting at 14dpo and then I had it on and off untill 7 weeks.
I also had a bleed at 6 weeks.
I've had 2 ultrasounds at 6+1 and another at 8+1 and baby measuring 2 days ahead and a lovely HB.
I'm now finding babies HB on my dopler at 172bpm.
Not sure what the bleed or the spotting was but my midwife said it's very very common in pregnancy esp first trimester.
And it can be implantation as that can go on as late as 8 weeks.

I wud say ures is definitely implantation as it sounds the exact same as I had at 14 dpo.
Was rusty color.

All my other spotting was pink and the bleed was a dull red.

I know its hard but try not to worry I'm a fine one to talk because I've done nothing but worry and seeing any blood makes u worry.
I'm sure it's just bub getting snug tho.

Have u tested again?

I just took a test (4:00 pm here), and the test line came up immediately, like within 2 seconds, and it was very dark. Way darker than the other line and way faster.

So that has to be a good sign at only 4 wks and 4 days right?

Uploading a picture of the test. 20210228_161044.jpg

I just took a test (4:00 pm here), and the test line came up immediately, like within 2 seconds, and it was very dark. Way darker than the other line and way faster.

So that has to be a good sign at only 4 wks and 4 days right?

Uploading a picture of the test. View attachment 1095294
That's a beautiful line! It's a great sign. From my own personal experience when I've had chemicals, the lines never got dark and they disappeared almost immediately. I've also read a lot of ladies who had miscarriages and it happened pretty quickly, the test started to show signs sometimes even before the bleeding started. Also the fact that the discharge is brown and not red, that means it's old blood. Even if it was red or pink, that's not always an indicator that something is wrong but the fact that it's brown is a good sign.

That's a beautiful line! It's a great sign. From my own personal experience when I've had chemicals, the lines never got dark and they disappeared almost immediately. I've also read a lot of ladies who had miscarriages and it happened pretty quickly, the test started to show signs sometimes even before the bleeding started. Also the fact that the discharge is brown and not red, that means it's old blood. Even if it was red or pink, that's not always an indicator that something is wrong but the fact that it's brown is a good sign.

I've been TTC for 9 years and I have never ever, not once, gotten a positive pregnancy test. So Im driving myself crazy every minute of every day.

From what I've read, once you bleed from a miscarriage, usually the baby has been gone for a little while, a few days to a week. So the tests won't have dark lines or they will start to fade quickly. And there's usually more than just a drop of blood. I can't help but freak out over everythibg because this all seems to good to be true still.

Oh don’t let the cramps worry you. I’m 10 wks and have literally cramped every single day since before my bfp. It’s normal stretching of the uterus. I’m cramping right now. It did start to calm down at about 8 weeks I think? But is most certainly still there. Also started spotting two days ago but can still hear baby happily beating away on the Doppler.

25% of women have bleeding in the first tri. That’s 1 out of every 4 women. That’s not an “only” number. That’s a huge number. It’s super common and can be completely normal. Also there is nothing wrong with calling your OB and requesting a beta. I did and they got me in the next day for one. They know you’re nervous and usually like to do what they can to make you feel better. Good luck and congrats!!!

Make sure you’re drinking plenty of water. Dehydration is super common in pregnancy and can definitely be the cause of consistent cramping.

Thank you for all of the advice. That makes me feel better. No more spotting since that drop. Went in and got a blood test today. Should have the results in a couple hours!

@Marqelle93 that line is very very good for 4 weeks I’m about the same weeks as you and my lines aren’t even that dark. Like others said the colour of the spotting is a good sign.

hope all goes well for you. I’m still cramping too since before I got the BFP

Your lines look great. I had bleeding in my second pregnancy, it seems to be quite common.
Good luck :)

Its actually very common to have spotting during the first trimester.

I have had with both pregnancies, and both times I had early scans done which confirmed everything was fine but said that it was more likely due to a cyst that had 'popped' and was nothing harmful! I also had the cramping alongside it which when it did subside was replaced by morning sickness!xx

Look at that line girl pass me the sunglasses. That's a blazing BFP hon and definitely a good sign.

The spotting sounds like implantation hon esp the colour. Mine was a rust colour at 14 dpo then the spotting after that was very very pale pink and just when wiping.

The cramps are normol to hon I had them to and I think its just everything getting ready to house a growing baby.

My blood test came back with hcg at 2700. My doctor said the level is rising like it should so we won't do any more hcg tests. I have my first ultrasound on the 26th and after that I think I'll be able to relax a little.

My blood test came back with hcg at 2700. My doctor said the level is rising like it should so we won't do any more hcg tests. I have my first ultrasound on the 26th and after that I think I'll be able to relax a little.

Great news! :D

I had that same bleeding with 2/3 pregnancies and my babies were ok :) It’s scary but extremely common

I know this post is now old but thanks for posting @Marqelle93 im in the boat you were in then and was worrying but I’m remaining calm. How are you and baby now?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->