4 and half month old ready to BLW ?

casann

mummy
Reaction score
Hiya
So my little girl is now 4.5 months and she can basically sit up on her own ( not all the time but others can sit up for well over 5 minutes and others fall over instantly )and keeps reaching for my food . She's had really good hand eye coordination for months . Everything from 1 month was straigtht to her mouth . Today she stole some cucumber form my hand an dtomotes and peppers and cryed if she dropped it on floor as slipped out her hand and so later i tried her with a banana and she love it,rolled it around her mouth for a bit and spat it out but them kept putting more in .

Shalol i start weaning her or is it too early ?
We weaned our son at 6 months

Thank you x

I personally think its a bit early for BLW but there are foods out there aimed for 4 months..like baby rice and some jars maybe, she sounds like she is ready for something!

She is a bit on the young side for BLW, but she does sound like she's ready to try. You could always just offer strips of banana and let her play with them while you eat. She probably won't swallow any, but it'll give her something to do. If she does eat them, you could always offer a few different fruits. We started LO at 23 weeks, so I don't think the 6 months is set in stone. I'd go very slowly and carefully with such a young baby though.

Although, the theory is that when she does eat, it shows she's ready to eat. I vote let her play with food under no pressure and see where she takes you :)

I personally think its a bit early for BLW but there are foods out there aimed for 4 months..like baby rice and some jars maybe, she sounds like she is ready for something!

I don't really agree with giving baby rice. You take the choice away from LO as to when they start eating. Allowing her to play in we own time means she's definitely ready when she does start. She might just be interested in your food and not interested once it's not a 'forbidden treasure' kind of thing.

Was planning on just giving her piece of fruit or veg to have each and day let her do what she wants with it . Wasn't going to fully start just yet until atleast 5.5 months but did't want to leave it too late . xx

Was planning on just giving her piece of fruit or veg to have each and day let her do what she wants with it . Wasn't going to fully start just yet until atleast 5.5 months but did't want to leave it too late . xx

I'd personally say that sounds like a good plan :thumbup: I don't think there's a worry of leaving BLW too late-babies will eat in their own time. If she is ready now at 4 months, but you don't start till 6, I imagine she'd just start eating more food quicker than a baby started at 6 months who was only just ready. The beauty of BLW is that it's hard to get it wrong, as LO does all the work!

She sounds a litte too young.

Hand/eye to mouth co-ordination doesnt always mean they have the co-ordination in their tongues and mouths to properly 'eat' food especially when BLW.

Evie had excellent co-ordination at that age but wasnt ready for BLW until after 6 months.

Also, most babies are not ready to internally digest anything other than milk at that age

I think i will continue to let her try things just piece of veg or fruit whilst we have dinner as she won't swollow just yet anyway and i'll let her decied when she is ready by telling me when she learns how to swollow properly . And until then she can have fun playing with it .

I guess you could always give her something to play with but it would be very limited, so no meat, gluten, wheat. Id also stay away from acidy fruit/veg so tomatoe, pinapple, pepper.

That said though i rubbed some cold cucumber on Willows gums earlier. Though obv it wasnt with the intention of her eating it.

I guess you could always give her something to play with but it would be very limited, so no meat, gluten, wheat. Id also stay away from acidy fruit/veg so tomatoe, pinapple, pepper.

That said though i rubbed some cold cucumber on Willows gums earlier. Though obv it wasnt with the intention of her eating it.

Was going to stick to things like broccoli , carrot sticks ( steamed ) and bananas and things ? Until she is over 5.5 months. I was giving m son asically everything we ate by 6.5 months . We eat very healthily x

She sounds a litte too young.

Hand/eye to mouth co-ordination doesnt always mean they have the co-ordination in their tongues and mouths to properly 'eat' food especially when BLW.

Evie had excellent co-ordination at that age but wasnt ready for BLW until after 6 months.

Also, most babies are not ready to internally digest anything other than milk at that age

Totally agree! The lovely thing with BLW though is that if her LO is given food to play with, she won't eat it until she is ready to digest it :) That's certainly what the book says-by the time a baby can physically get food to their mouth and chew it, their body will be ready for it.

I'd be surprised if the OP's LO eats anything yet, but in theory no harm can come of playing with a banana!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->