4 days old, too late to introduce bfing?

DreamCatcher_

Reaction score
I've also posted this in breastfeeding but I'm also putting here as I'm desperate for advice, I hope that's okay!

My DS is 4 days old today and has been bottle fed since the hospital. I tried to bf for 4 straight hours after my elective c-section, however nothing, and I mean nothing, came out either breast (not even when trying to hand express). My poor baby was starving and the bottle helped.
He had a great latch though, despite my issues.

He ate 2oz every 3-4 hours and was brilliant from the get-go.

I did want to breastfeed and although slightly down in the hospital about it, I knew it was best to bottle feed as I had nothing to offer.

First day back home, bottle fed and he stuck to the hospital routine, absolute dream baby.

Yesterday my boobs exploded and I decided to attempt to bf at his 6pm bottle feed. He happily fed for 40 minutes and then fell asleep. He woke up an hour and a half later but wouldn't go for the boob and then only took 1oz of formula.
This then affected his 10pm and 2am feed. He became inconsolable and wouldn't latch at all, he ended up taking 2oz at 10, 2oz at 12 and 2oz at 2 before sleeping through until half 6. Both OH and I were frazzled, DS was upset and it was so completely unpleasant.

When he woke this morning he fed for 40 minutes with a great latch, nodded off and only woke up at half 10 (a good 2.5-3 hour sleep).
We then decided to bath him, change him and then I settled down to feed. He fed for over an hour from one breast before coming off, he still had his hungry cues so I tried the other breast as he refused to relatch to the original. 20 minutes later he still hadn't latched and was becoming increasingly agitated, so OH made a bottle and he happily took 1oz before sleeping.
By this point he had been up for almost 2.5 hours and finally seemed content.

Is it too late for me to try and replace bottles with breast?
Am I only going to manage one or two good bf feeds a day?
Am I doing him any harm in combination feeding just now?
Should I lose the bfing as he was content with the bottle, had a routine of sorts, and now I've put it out of whack?

I know breast is best, however I also know a happy mum is the most important thing as long as baby is being fed.
In the hospital I was tok overwhelmed to think properly but since being home I've almost been in tears from feeling like a failure over not breastfeeding (as I wanted to), to being accepting of our routine to being upset over breastfeeding again to being upset over feeling like I've confused and broken my baby with these mixed signals.

I found when DD was tiny her latch was hit and miss it took a few weeks for her to really get the hang of it consistently. I'd imagine he's used to getting instant milk from the bottle they can get very frustrated if they can't latch to the breast within a certain amount of time because they're still learning. Have you tried expressing breast milk to give in a bottle? Sometimes I found I just had to persevere through the frustration or calm her down (and myself!)and try again, she would latch on eventually I think the longest was nearly 90 minutes though! When she got to about a month old she would latch almost straight away every time. I think her quick latches before then were just accidental while she learnt what to do. Is breastfeeding comfortable for you? I was in pain and the feeds were very long, it turned out that DD had a severe tongue tie and was having to adapt her own special way to get milk from me

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->