4 hours or more?

MoominJ

Reaction score
The midwife said that I had to wake baby every 4 hours for a feed if he didn't wake himself (never been a problem as he's a little and often kinda guy every 2 hours) but just recently he's been goin longer....

He's nearly 9 weeks, do I still need to wake him after 4 hours? If so when can I let him sleep longer?

Interested to hear also...

When I had DD1 she sometimes slept 4-5 hours without a feed. I am wondering now if I should have woke her at regular intervals and how long I should do this for.

I didn't do well BF DD1 (6 weeks) so hoping to do it much longer this time wtih DD2.

If baby is back to birth weight or heavier and breastfeeding is going well, you can stop waking to feed and just feed on demand unless baby has another health concern they're basing that off of. You wake in the beginning in case baby is too tired to wake up for hunger, is lethargic from undiagnosed eating problems, and to help make sure a mother's breast milk supply gets sufficiently established.

I had to wake LO to feed every 3 hours for the first few weeks because she was jaundice and took a while to get back to her birth weight. Now she has passed her birth weight and gaining weight steadily and the jaundice has cleared up so I don't wake her anymore. She has slept a 6-7 hour stretch at night recently and still gets her 8 feeds in 24 hours, I guess she knows to stock up during the day now.

X

I wouldn't as long as his weights have been OK. DD1 started STTN at 9 weeks so she defo went longer at night but would feed more in the day. DD2 is more like every 4 hours still but will go 5 sometimes :thumbup:

Oh thanks everyone!

He has no weight worries except the fact that even the doctors are impressed with how big he is for a breastfed baby lol
He's 9 weeks on Sat n he's in 3-6 month clothes and he was only 7lb5 when born haha I think I'm producing full fat milk :)

When my son started sleeping very long hours, it caused problems when he woke. Sleep was fine, but he was so painfully hungry when he woke he couldn't stop screaming long enough to eat.

I wish DD2 slept 4 hours in a row!!! She still wakes up at least 3-4 times a night, and now it's worse because she rolls on her stomach and freaks out because she's stuck. As long as your LO is gaining ok and having enough wet/dirty diapers let him sleep:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->