4 Month old Refusing one side?

LaraSue

Two furry babies!
Reaction score
So, my LO is 4 months old, and he's breast fed when I'm home, but does take a bottle three days a week while I work. Lately, he will only nurse off of my right side for about 10 minutes, and he is constantly pulling away. Milk is coming out of that side just fine (I've checked and I pump also) so it's not that. I've also tried different positions to feed him in. At night he doesn't usually have this issue, and will feed off of both sides evenly. I called a lactation consultant briefly, and she has no other suggestions. Thoughts? I'm afraid it will start affecting my supply on that side if he doesn't eat at least mostly equally.

I don't really have much in the way of suggestions, but it's pretty normal to have less output on one side. Maybe lo is just getting frustrated by that? I would just keep offering left first, then let him feed from right, then try again on left?

What's your output like from each side when you pump?

When I pump, it's about even on both sides. Sometimes I get more on the left, sometimes more on the right. It balances out pretty much.

You might have a fast letdown. My DD1 used to refuse my right breast because of it and I had to prop her head on a pillow and that seemed to help. Hope you get it figured out. :flower:

I was going to suggest the output is different, but it doesn't seem that is the case. My LO prefered the left for a long time because the right would come out so fast it would choke him. But I had oversupply, and my right produces more than my left.

I'd just keep offering. Offer it first, if he refuses do the right, then reoffer the left.

My little one went through this stage - 2 things that helped me were:

1) switching positions - ie my LO preferred the left so when I put her on the right I'd feed her in rugby hold so she was laid the same way as if she was on the left.

2) I also would let her nurse from the favoured side for a minute or so to calm her, then switch to the other side.

She grew out of it eventually so try not to stress too much!

My little one went through this stage - 2 things that helped me were:

1) switching positions - ie my LO preferred the left so when I put her on the right I'd feed her in rugby hold so she was laid the same way as if she was on the left.

2) I also would let her nurse from the favoured side for a minute or so to calm her, then switch to the other side.

She grew out of it eventually so try not to stress too much!

This is also what I ended up doing. My DD went through this around 3 or 4 months.

We had the same thing happen, never figured out what the problem was. I would.just pump the side he was refusing when it got uncomfortable. It lasted for about a week.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->