5.5 month old distracted nurser.. Phase?

happynewmom1

Reaction score
So breastfeeding has been going well until recently when she is just too distracted to nurse. I've tried different positions but she wants to look around her while eating so she pops on and off constantly.. It makes nursing so not fun. She is definitely at the curious age.. I just don't remember if this kind of thing is a phase or likely to stay this way. I would try nursing her in a room alone to avoid distractions but with a 4 and 6 year old, it's not an option for me.

This started for me when Isla was 4 months old and unfortunately hasn't improved at all in the last 3.5 months. If anything it has gotten worse. I can only nurse her in her bedroom, with the lights off, and sometimes with the sound machine on. I basically have to cut her off from all other sensory input, lol. She will not nurse in public so I have to put expressed milk in her cup when we go out and she will take sips of that and then nurse like a mad fool once we get home. Sorry I don't have any solutions for you, I am still waiting for it to pass for us. We are going camping for 4 days next week and I am worried about how I will nurse her if I don't have her sensory deprivation chamber (which is what I call her bedroom).

This started for me when Isla was 4 months old and unfortunately hasn't improved at all in the last 3.5 months. If anything it has gotten worse. I can only nurse her in her bedroom, with the lights off, and sometimes with the sound machine on. I basically have to cut her off from all other sensory input, lol. She will not nurse in public so I have to put expressed milk in her cup when we go out and she will take sips of that and then nurse like a mad fool once we get home. Sorry I don't have any solutions for you, I am still waiting for it to pass for us. We are going camping for 4 days next week and I am worried about how I will nurse her if I don't have her sensory deprivation chamber (which is what I call her bedroom).

Thank you for your reply! I'm so sorry you are going through this too. I hate to do this but I wonder if I need to give her expressed milk during the day and nurse at night for now. It would seriously bum me out but she wants to keep nursing this way because all the on and off nursing isn't getting her full. She started solids recently and she loves it but obviously she is much too young to replace any milk yet. Siigh

Haha.. Love the name you gave her room. :haha: so true

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"