5.6 weeks and no fetal pole?

brandi91

Reaction score
5 weeks and 6 days pregnant today. Went for an ultrasound because of some red bleeding. They said the gestational sac is measuring right on track, but no fetal pole or heartbeat. They said you technically should be able to see one by six weeks. Chance that I’m too early? They said it may still be too early to detect, but I was wondering if anyone had similar experiences. Thanks!

I didn’t get a heartbeat and feral pole with both of mine till after 6 weeks x

I had a scan with my youngest at 5w1d (I know earlier than you) but saw nothing. Not even a sad. Went back at 7w1d and saw baby with heartbeat. So surely seeing a sac is good at that stage. Are they scanning you again love?

I have only seen a sac at this stage too. Whens your next scan?

Even one day can make a world of difference this early! I had a scan at 6 weeks and the nurse was careful to tell me they expect to see a gestational sac but it wouldn't be bad if we didn't see anything else. Some lucky mommas get to see more at 6 weeks, but every baby develops at their own pace. I would save my worry until 7 weeks, then you should probably be seeing something more. Good luck <3

Thank you, everyone! I go back Tuesday. I will be 6 weeks and 4 days then. They said we should definitely see one by then. We are certain about the dates because I did an IUI. I&#8217;m trying to trust that everything is developing like it should! It&#8217;s so hard to be patient. I&#8217;m glad to see that some of you had a similar experience that ended up okay.

https://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e26/brandiwiggins14/Mobile%20Uploads/7114165D-414B-4275-B02A-4781CDCF94FE_zpscyvk8obz.jpg

Chance that the little smudge is part of a developing fetal pole? I trust the experts lol. I&#8217;m just desperate.

I had a scan at what I thought was 6w1d but turned out I was 5w5d according to a later scan. My doctor did not see much on the scan, couldn't tell if there was a fetal pole or yolk sac at all. She said she saw something blurry that was possibly the baby, but she thought it should be much clearer by that point. Here is the photo of my scan, there really is not much there and looks pretty similar to yours (Its all crinkled cause my daughter got a hold of it.) She suspected it was non-viable but the scan a week later showed a healthy baby with a nice heartbeat. Try not to worry yet, its so early, even a day makes a huge difference at this point.

Attachments

• 20180721_120141.jpg
    20180721_120141.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 18
Thank you! That does make me feel better. I know they do all of this monitoring because I&#8217;m higher risk, but it&#8217;s almost not worth it! I hate the stress! I feel confident, though. I can&#8217;t really explain it. I&#8217;ve just been as tired as ever and feel like my body is working to make this little baby. I also had a dream last night that we went in and saw the fetal pole clearly. That made me feel so much better! I know it was just a dream, but it was reassuring.

I went in at 5 week and only a sac was seen. I went back at 7 weeks and we saw our heart beat! My OB moved my date back to 6+1. You could be a week back like me

Thank you! That does make me feel better. I know they do all of this monitoring because I’m higher risk, but it’s almost not worth it! I hate the stress! I feel confident, though. I can’t really explain it. I’ve just been as tired as ever and feel like my body is working to make this little baby. I also had a dream last night that we went in and saw the fetal pole clearly. That made me feel so much better! I know it was just a dream, but it was reassuring.

My RE used to call this "the curse of too much information". So true. I had an ultrasound at 5w5d and it was just a sac. I went back in at 6w5d and saw a heartbeat. My baby is turning 1 in 3 weeks! Fx for tomorrow!

Agreed. I&#8217;ve had many 5 week scans and been freaked out by the varying visible components. I believe with my last pregnancy I just had a yolk sac at 5w5d and freaked out and cried and was booked back in a week later and there was my little gummy with a hb :). Did they book a follow up? Sorry if you already said. They did do serial betas to check on the hog progression and it was doubling so I felt less anxious waiting for the next scan

Thank you for the replies, everyone!

Baby is measuring 6+1 today! I am actually 6+4, which we know from trigger shot and IUI date, but my doctor wasn&#8217;t concerned and said we are dealing with tenths of millimeters, and that a couple days&#8217; difference is completely fine. We also saw and heard the heartbeat at 113 BPM! The doctor seemed really pleased and said for me to come back in two weeks and then I will be off to a regular OB! I&#8217;m so relieved and thankful. I feel much less worried for my next scan.

Yay! Congrats!

Agreed with early scans they can be days off. My gyn said three different doctors measuring the same baby can get three different gestations when scanning before 7/8 weeks, and that even sometimes the same doctor will measure the same baby and get differences because, as you said, being off a fraction of a cm will change the days.

I know mine was a late implanter, which is why I "only" saw a sac at 5w5d and also always measured a few days "behind". (I was a trigger and IUI as well, but she just implanted late so the dates were a little off. She's completely healthy but definitely made me spiral a bit as my RE kept telling me my hcg was low or that we should be seeing more in u/s) She was just on her own schedule :)

Congrats on your healthy bean!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->