5-6 weeks, no heartbeat…

KC0620

Reaction score
Hey everyone. So I am a complete emotional wreck. I had my first appointment, with ultrasound. According to my LMP, and temping for ovulation & pregnancy, I should be exactly 5 weeks & 5 days. The ultrasound showed 6 weeks & 3 days, the sac, yolk & fetal pole.. but no heart beat. Doctor told me I’m having a miscarriage because “there should be a heartbeat by now”. I even asked her if there’s anyway it’s just too early and she said “telling you that would just lead you on, and I’m almost 100% sure you’re having a miscarriage”. And she’s already wanting to schedule a DNC for next week. I left and said I would call to discuss that because I really need a second opinion. I have been pregnant before and I know 5-6 weeks could still be early for a heartbeat, plus all other signs of viable pregnancy are there, why would she be so sure I’m miscarrying? I have no cramping or bleeding at all. I have all of my pregnancy symptoms which have not lessened what so ever, and continue to get progressively more & more sick each day (suffered HG in previous pregnancy). This has put me into such an emotional rollercoaster, I can’t stop crying.. I don’t know what to do or believe. Could she be completely wrong?

Oh I’m so sorry!! I think the ultrasound tech sounds like a nutter to be honest. Ultrasounds at best have a +/- 3 day inaccuracy rating, with early pregnancy inaccuracies up to 8 days either way!!

If you were tracking ovulation I would definitely go by your dates in which case it’s too early to see a heartbeat. Remember that the baby is millimetres big - a fraction of a movement of the tech’s mouse can change the baby’s size/dating by several days. I wouldn’t give up hope at all, can you reschedule another ultrasound next week? You should be able to see a heartbeat by then!

Exactly! CMs at this stage can change the measurement by days. You should ask for a beta and repeat it in two days. She should be booking a repeat scan in a week not a dnc, especially if by your lmp you’re max 5w5. I was 5w3 with DS and didn’t even have a pole! Hang in there love

It's definitely too early to know for sure yet. I had a scan at 6 weeks with my DS and the midwife said it could go either way whether we saw a heartbeat at that time or not because it was so early.
I've got everything crossed for you :hugs:

Hello. I'm so sorry for all of this. The waiting and not knowing is torture, I know. I just went through a miscarriage, which took a couple of weeks to confirm. Basically, I had three weeks of scans to make sure that it was indeed a missed miscarriage. At a scan, I had a fetal pole measuring 6w, and my Dr commented that "50% of the time I see a heartbeat at this point, 50% I dont". So I had to go back in a week to see what changes had happened in that time. It was an awful week of waiting, but by the next week, it was clear what the outcome was. From 6w to 7w, I would either see the heartbeat appear or have a clear answer that I was miscarrying, as that development wouldn't happen. I got bad news, but also had the peace of mind that that is definitely what was happening. In my case, it just was what it was and nobody could've done anything to change the outcome. You clearly are worried that you may have been given poor advice from the dr- if I were in your shoes, I would not do a d&c or anything else until another 7-10 days passes. The difference between this scan and a new scan after a week should let you know what has happened for sure. I absolutely wish you all the best, and hope that you can get a follow up scan that gives you good news. If there's no medical reason you would have to rush to a D&C, then ask to wait and rescan so that you can go forward knowing for sure. The waiting is awful, but you will either get good news, or get closure. Good luck- please let us know how you go xx

Outrageous to say that to you. This baby I went in at 5 weeks and there was nothing there! Not even a sac. Told me I was having an ectopic. Cried my eyes out for days. They re-scanned me 3 days later, there was a sac and fetal pole but no HB. Still sent me home saying miscarriage. Then I paid for a private scan 3 days after that and there it was, a baby with a HB. I was just measuring a few days behind what I thought. They caused me all that worry without really knowing. Try not to panic yet, my experience shows it isn’t always bad news x

UPDATE:

Paid for a private ultrasound as my new doctor can’t get me in until next week & the anxiety of waiting was killing me.

WE SAW A HEARTBEAT!!! Saw & heard it myself, baby was measuring a week bigger than last week so seems to be growing perfectly. Heart rate was 135. ❤️

Still in shock how completely wrong that doctor was.. the stress and worry she put me through was outrageous. Would you suggest I file a complaint against her?

I probably would because I’m a grudge holder, and that wasn’t appropriate for her to say at all. I also feel like if they said it to you then they’ll say it to others unless someone complains/forces them to think twice. Especially if you had believed her and ended a perfectly healthy pregnancy. Flipside, nothing wrong with just enjoying your pregnancy and letting it go.

I’m so glad that baby’s doing well!

That's amazing news! So happy for you!

I would definitely file a complaint. If you hadn't had that private ultrasound you could've gone for that dnc next week and that's just heartbreaking. I'm sorry I know that sounds horrible, but she was in the wrong to make a decision like that so early on and if she is doing that on a regular basis then this is not good.

What amazing news! I hope you have a peaceful, and straight forward rest of your pregnancy! :)

Yes, I would file a complaint. I'm not a complaint filer in general.... but there really should be more due diligence undertaken to make sure that a pregnancy isn't viable if theyre talking about doing a D&C. Be brave and do it.

UPDATE:

Paid for a private ultrasound as my new doctor can’t get me in until next week & the anxiety of waiting was killing me.

WE SAW A HEARTBEAT!!! Saw & heard it myself, baby was measuring a week bigger than last week so seems to be growing perfectly. Heart rate was 135. ❤️

Still in shock how completely wrong that doctor was.. the stress and worry she put me through was outrageous. Would you suggest I file a complaint against her?

Amazing !! Congratulations !!

oh wow I would for sure be filing a complaint against her , which I don’t usually complain much (I just moan a lot haha ) but you could have went ahead and lost a healthy pregnancy !!

Fantastic news congratulations

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->