5-7 mins per breast?

Perplexed

Mommy of 2
Reaction score
Saw my baby's pediatrician today and asked him what I could do to reduce trapped wind issues. He said baby should nurse for only 5-7 minutes per breast and anything more than that is just air which would make baby even more windy, and then hold upright / burp for 10 mins.

I don't mind burping more often and for longer periods...but I don't think my LO is full after 5-7 mins of each breast. I mean sometimes she seems fine but other times she gets upset and still wants to nurse. Should I just keep re-offering her the breast and just burp more often?

Yeah, that doesn't sound long enough to me! At a minimum I might do 10 minutes on the first boob and 5 - 7 on the next boob but he'll be hungry again soon if I did any shorter than that!

Saw my baby's pediatrician today and asked him what I could do to reduce trapped wind issues. He said baby should nurse for only 5-7 minutes per breast and anything more than that is just air which would make baby even more windy, and then hold upright / burp for 10 mins.

I don't mind burping more often and for longer periods...but I don't think my LO is full after 5-7 mins of each breast. I mean sometimes she seems fine but other times she gets upset and still wants to nurse. Should I just keep re-offering her the breast and just burp more often?

What?!?!?!?! Last time I checked my boobs were NOT an air pump. :dohh: :dohh:

Your doc is talking out his arse.

Feed your baby for however long they want with regular breaks for winding. Try different winding techniques, bent forward, over shoulder, over your knees. Make she the pressure is on her tummy to move the air bubbles.

Don't resrict feed times, you'll have an unhappy baby and a deminished supply.

I don't think he really has any idea what he is talking about.

Pretty sure I've explained it worse than he meant it.

But I will go with my instinct and just wind her more often.

I did notice that she seems content after a slightly shorter feed if I've had a meal before it. Dunno if that makes sense.

Our pediatrician said to feed 10 minutes each side when LO was taking an hour or more for each feed, BUT I didn't really do that. LO was just too hungry for me to limit him like that. Eventually he got MUCH MUCH faster, but I think he needed that time. Anyway, I'd be scared to limit a baby's feeding. I'd find an alternative.

You are right. I do think some babies are faster than others, and some learn to be fast. I just don't think my baby is that fast yet so I plan to give her as much time as she wants and just wind her more often.

Thats terrible advice from a doctor. They need retraining. If you were to do that then baby wouldn't be getting alot of hind milk.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->