5 month old pooping 6-7 times a day!

Feronia

Reaction score
My daughter is EBF and is pooping like crazy! I've read that EBF babies generally poop less often, but she is seriously going 6-7 times a day most days. They're healthy poops, no discolouration or diarrhea, but it still seems weird. She hasn't been sick at all either.

She nurses multiple times in the night. Could that be a part of it?

Normal?

Abby went through a phase of pooping several times a day as well. I can't remember exactly when it was but I'm guessing sometime around 5 months!

It didn't last very long before it went back to the usual once every 2 days.

My little one went through the same thing. I agonized for months over his poops - I literally examined each poop closely to figure out if it was normal. For a while he had green poops but was feeding just fine and his behaviour seemed normal.

I think paying attention to poops can be beneficial, but it's also important to pay attention to behaviour. Your little one sounds like she's doing perfectly fine and thriving. I don't think you have anything to worry about as long as her behaviour seems normal and she's nursing regularly. :)

Way to go, mama! It sounds like you're doing a wonderful job!

Thanks! She has never once gone a day without pooping, and for a time it was 2-3 times, but it seems to have ramped up for some reason. There is no way this can increase when she starts solids... is there?

No green poops thankfully!

My guy pooped like crazy til we started solids at 6 months. He was still pooping 5+ times a day until then!

Josalyn was the same! She only recently cut back to only once per day a couple of weeks ago. The most she did in one day was 9, and the next morning her first tooth had cut through! After that it slowed down considerably!

She's also never gone a day without pooping!

Whew! Thanks so much, I feel better about it now. (Even though we're going on poop #2 by 7am.) :dohh: All of this "exclusively breastfed babies usually poop once a year" had me slightly worried. :haha:

Wow, maybe she'll cut her first tooth soon!

Found this site on google, due to the same issue, 5month old boy breastfed only. Poops 5+ times a day past two days only difference is there is a greenish tint to it aswell only in the past two days.

Found this site on google, due to the same issue, 5month old boy breastfed only. Poops 5+ times a day past two days only difference is there is a greenish tint to it aswell only in the past two days.

If it makes you feel any better, she isn't pooping that much anymore. Maybe 1-2 times a day now!

The green poop may be due to a foremilk/ hindmilk imbalance. That happens to DD sometimes when she feeds off of each side only long enough to get foremilk.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->