5 week old vomiting, please help!

MEPride

Reaction score
My DD is 5 weeks old today.

Yesterday DH, DD, and I spent a long while out and about. We had chipotle for lunch. When we got home DD was whiny and fussy for hours... I thought she was overstimulated so I nursed her a few times to calm her down. She eventually did. Then about an hour ago she spit up a bit (2+ hours after her last feeding). I went to change her diaper and she vomited. It was so scary! Came out of her nose.... her eyes grew wide and she wouldn't breathe for what felt like forever though I bet was probably just seconds. And then she screamed. And held her breath again and screamed. Then there was a lot of swallowing and saliva. I got her calmed down and gave her a bottle of expressed milk from a different night. Then pumped and dumped.

I feel so guilty and think it was the chipotle. She had a similar reaction to tacos one other time though not as severe. But I can't be sure.

How long does it take for food to reach breast milk and for it to leave breast milk? Anything I should do? I'm afraid to sleep tonight for fear of her having another episode in her sleep and choking or aspirating without me knowing.

You said you nursed her a few times, is it normal for you to do that? When my dd was a similar age I nursed her twice in a short time because she was due to have a procedure later that day and there was so much in her tummy she brought it up when trying to burp. She only ever did it the once but we were both soaked! It's scary to see that much come out but she was absolutely fine, just a looked a bit confused to be sat in the shower while I made sure nothing else was coming!

You said you nursed her a few times, is it normal for you to do that? When my dd was a similar age I nursed her twice in a short time because she was due to have a procedure later that day and there was so much in her tummy she brought it up when trying to burp. She only ever did it the once but we were both soaked! It's scary to see that much come out but she was absolutely fine, just a looked a bit confused to be sat in the shower while I made sure nothing else was coming!

It was more comfort nursing we did. And that was hours before this vomiting episode. Lunch was at 11:00am. I nursed her at 12:30 pm, 2:45pm. She started getting fussy about 3:30pm. I did a couple short comfort nursing sessions from 3:45-5:00. She slept until 7:00pm and I nursed again because she acted hungry. She was still a bit fussy at this point. Then I nursed again about 9pm. Then I changed her diaper about 11:15pm when she started spitting up then vomited. I pumped and dumped, gave a bottle of expressed milk. She slept until 3:00am and was acting better and was farting up a storm. I just tried nursing again but not a full session.

I also checked... no fever.

Does that sound like too much milk too close together? She usually goes about 2 1/2 hours between nursing sessions.

For the first couple of months my DS was horrible for gorging himself on breastmilk and then barfing it all up, it would be streaming out his nose and mouth in a giant gush. Sometimes he would bring it up with a burp an hour or more after eating. It never made him cry, but we would both get soaked. I wouldn't worry too much about it, babies throw up sometimes and it always looks like a lot more than it really is because it's mixed with saliva.

dont worry it could have just been a little tummy bug or been a little greedy just continue to bf on demand you can never overfeed a bf baby and keep an eye on little one if it continues for a few day go to the docs xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->