5 year old bed wetting

1sdrfa

Reaction score
Hi everyone just wondering if u all have any tips. My little one (SD) has started wetting the bed every night for the past 3 weeks she had been dry and was doing really well for a while but its started again I should maybe say that before it was just the odd little accident! She has always left going 2 the toilet until the last min we would ask her does she have 2 go 2 the toilet she will say no but 5 mins later she is busting 2 go.
We also have issues with her mum who seen her at christmas for a few mins promised 2 come pick her up some day and hasn't bothered 2 even answer our calls when we try 2 contact her. She has just stopped all contact the past few week LO is asking why she said what she did and didn't call over 2 c her or pick her up so makes me think that the bed wetting is maybe happening because of this. I do have a doc appointment 2 c if this is something 2 do with her bladder or if they can help get 2 the bottom of it I work for a lady who is a health visitor and was asking her and she said about giving her most of the drinks during the day like she was on a course last week they said try giving 40% in the morning 40% in after noon and 20% in evenings tho she never really takes much at night just a wee mouthful if she needs it. She goes 2 the toilet before bed every night on sat night we had a family party and she was in bed late so I was kind of hoping her going 2 bed later would mean a dry night and not having 2 wash sheets again lol but was quite a big puddle in the morning. She trys 2 keep it from us aswell unless we check in the morning she will say nothing even tho for a long time we have always said as long as she tells the truth she won't get in any trouble not that she gets it 2 bad more that we will take things away like the DS or something like that! She knows she can talk 2 us there are somethings she likes 2 come 2 me about and others she goes 2 dad. So I dunno has anyone had anything like this with there little one? We just can't seem 2 crack this!

I am sure people with children who have been through this secondary bed wetting phase will be along shortly but I would suggest there may indeed be a link with her feelings about her mum. Also I am pretty sure the accepted approach is not to sanction in ANY way if they do wet the bed. Since it is highly unlikely to be deliberate she would be being punished for something she can't control which adds to her stress and creates a vicious cycle. Se may well fib about it if she senses your displeasure so also consider that.

Apart from that, an alarm may help and of course a trip to GP,to rule out waterworks infections etc

Yea I have an appointment on for tomorrow and we live a bit away from her dr so she is getting the day off school which she is delighted with. We don't punish her anymore as we realised there was more 2 it cause when she was doing it u could see that she was upset with herself so I new she was trying. She is a wee pet and. We couldn't have a better behaved (she has her moments like all kiddies) and so kind so I do find it hard 2 punish her it doesn't happen 2 often she has an old head on her shoulders....which prob has to do with all she has been through.

We are still going through this, DD1 was fully totally dry day and night for months before DD2 came along then BAM she started wetting again, the day time stopped v soon but the night time is still going :dohh: it's not every night, at the mo it's probably less than once a fortnight and I do find she tends to wet the bed if we have had an argument or if I've told her off about something shortly before bed!!

We use the pampers dry night sheet things under her bed sheet and they are fab at soaking up the wee and it doesn't affect the mattress at all :thumbup:

We tried a reward chart (worked for a while!) ignoring it (didn't work at all) took her to the docs and tested her urine, she didn't have an infection but doc gave us some antibiotics just incase she had a little something - this worked!! But a few days after stopping she started wetting again :dohh: so we used a plasibo (actimel!) and this worked well - it was like she needed something (anything) this worked so well we stopped, now we still take her to the toilet at 10/11/12 at night and she will occasionally wet the bed, but I try and give her a 'treat' randomly for not wetting the bed, but I don't say if you don't wet the bed for the next 5 nights you get xyz as she will get to 4 nights then wet the bed! So now I ask her if she would like to chose an activity to do this afternoon as she has been great at not wetting the bed and this *currently* seems to be working the best xxx

Oh and we tried an alarm to wake her up to go to the toilet in the middle of the night but she just slept through it and it woke me instead :rofl:

We tried treats as well didn't work. Personally I think its the upset the wee pet has from her mum stopping all contact. I had her at the GP 2day and we have a urine sample left in 2 c if it is a wee infection and if not she will be refered 2 the health visitor again 2 c if it is something that she is worring about or upset about! I have 2 say I did think they were going 2 brush us off but he was great and I think LO is a lot happier that she knows that we know its not something she could help. I shall take myself right now and get some of those dry night sheets!

Thank u ladies for your replies its really helpful isn't it great 2 have so many agony aunts at the touch of a button?? Lol oh and my SD would be the same with the alarm I'm the light sleeper in this house lol xxxx

:hugs: bless her, I did tell my DD after the antibiotics had finished that I called the doctor and she said that if she had one mouthful of actimel it was the same as the medicine she had - this worked fab, it seemed to be just what she needed, something that meant it wasn't her fault. Those sheets are a god send, sometimes I get away with just washing her bottom sheet! Xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->