• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

5 year old eating

Unfortunately we have tried the 'leave him to it' and all he ate all day was one satsuma :(

This never worked for us, even offering snacks doesn't work, we have to schedule 2 proper nutritious meals, and to space them out.

I would scrap the milk in the morning, my kids when they were nursing would be full for hours after milk in the morning.
You could either cut it down gradually or water it down and offer porridge or cereal or yogurt with fruit etc.
Then try meals but not too big a portion and make sure there is something they like on the same tray even if it's fruit.
No fixing them something else because they haven't eaten it.
I'd offer a cup of milk at bed perhaps with a small snack if it is well spaced from the evening meal.
If my kids refuse a meal and I know it's something they eat and I know they aren't unwell then they get it reheated to eat later.

Or if you think grazing might help you could leave some healthy snacks on a tray somewhere accessible.

X

All I can offer is the knowledge that we're gone/going through the same thing, but remarkably for last 3 months my ds has got lots better. I think I've just been more laid back as my toddler now weaned eats well and I'm telling myself its not my doing with my ds, if that makes sense, that there's not much I can do. I was relying on him being weighed at school at 5 to flag up his weight as an issue but it didn't, he just came home with a letter saying he was at top of the 2nd centile. So annoyed as well as they weighed him on a dress down clothes day so he was wearing jeans! Hes only 19kg (but tall in 6-7 clothes for months, say about 122cm) and jeans alone will have added loads of weight, lol! GP has never been bothered that hes skin and bones and hes had two minor ops and nobody has ever commented on his weight.

He can't have snacks between meals as a snack size for most kids is meal for my ds. I stopped trying to ram 5 a day down him and the recommended protein portions etc and concentrated on what he will eat and hes suddenly been more open to trying new foods. I now always say to him if he cant eat his tea (even if its meant to be a favourite food) he can have a sandwich and piece of fruit. I know a lot of people say if they're hungry they wont starve themselves and you shouldn't panda and make separate meals, but you know what, going against all the advice and not being so stressed has actually made things better. Oh and the big no no of bribing, well my ds knows he'll get a pudding if he eats all his tea. Sometimes now he's too full for pudding. If he has a rough period of eating I give him pediasure shake, as suggested by gp, who really wasn't concerned.

Unfortunately we have tried the 'leave him to it' and all he ate all day was one satsuma :(

It doesn't work instantly.
Each day I would offer him meals and snacks I knew he would eat. And yes there were days he didn't eat but he did eat over the course of a few days .
He still has days where he hates everything and will only eat a banana but then the next day he literally will not stop eating.
My youngest on the other hand is a dustbin and will eat/try everything you give her.
Good luck and try not to stress. Which I know is easier said than done.

Thanks - I'm def relaxing more about it. Not totally! But relaxing a bit. For the first time in ages tonight he said he was hungry! I was shocked!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cnewt116
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->