5w+6, twins, fetal poles but no heartbeats, bleeding and cramping...advice needed!

Nikoru0111

Reaction score
So on Friday I started bleeding with no pain, bright red. I got very bad cramping pain through Saturday but bleeding was just down to spotting. Sunday morning I bled again, bright red only for around 3 minutes then it stopped again completely. I went to the hospital on Sunday and they said the lo was still there. I would have been 5w4 days. They saw a gestational sac and a yolk sac. I was measuring at 5w 3 days. So that sounded about right. They said it could go either way and to go home and rest. No more bleeding on Sunday and pain went away. Monday had no pain in the morning but by afternoon severe pain and bleeding with clots. Bright red.

I went into the hospital again today (Tuesday) and they did another scan. it's still there...and there is another one too so it would have been twins! There is a big clot round one of them and fetus could be found in both however there was no heartbeat in either. I'm only 5w 6 days, 6 at most. They wanted to schedule a d&c today but I asked if I could wait a week . Probably one of them is lost, the bleeding is not good but maybe the other one might survive. What do you think? The doctor sounded absolutely certain that it was bad. But I told her I knew my ovulation date and I was only 5w 6days and then she agreed that maybe we could wait. I can't understand why she wouldn't want to wait just to be sure! She sounded really convincing as well so if I hadn't done any research I would have just let her do it.

I mean I'm not too positive myself and I think it's probably over but I want to know for sure it's over, plus two days ago they couldn't even see one of the sacs or the foetuses so maybe they just missed the heartbeats. I just want to be certain.

They didn't measure the larger sac (the one without the clot round it) but I think it looks bigger than it did 2 days ago and might be on track. The smaller one seems to say it's only measuring at 4w but maybe that's due to the angle?
The fetal poles are 2.7mm and 2.5mm so they said we should be hearing a heartbeat. But I read it can only be certain when they are over 5mm and no heartbeat plus only 2 days ago they completely missed one sac and couldn't see a fetal pole at all in the one they found so this indicates to me that maybe it has grown in the 2 days and we should wait a little more. But she also said at one point that the CRL was 4mm...I don't know how these measurements are taken, can they be that inaccurate to get 2 different readings within minutes?

What would you do?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 49
Sorry to hear that you are going through this. I would want to wait too. Good luck x

Sorry your having such a rough time I think you did the right thing by waiting a week that is what I would of done. Sending loads of :hugs: xx

I'd wait. When I was pregnant with my daughter they said I'd lost her and guess what...
I hadn't.

Most Dr's can't see a heart beat until 6 weeks onwards. It's why epu usually won't see you till 6-8 weeks.

If there is a clot that explains the bleeding as well.

I personally think it's worth waiting. I know it's going to be he'll but you never no xx

:hug:

You will be in my prayers !keep us updated ..praying for the best !

So sorry you're going through this hun...I'd definitely wait as long as possible. Is there a medical a reason to schedule a D&C? It's still so early and I feel that you one can't really be sure yet... :hugs:

Thanks everyone! No there is no medical need. I'm normally fit and healthy. I have a feeling that Japanese ladies aren't accustomed to going through much and just try to get it over and done with as soon as possible. I went for a blood test that they require before having the procedure though, for HIV. Anyway while I was there the needle they used was the tiniest thing ever and Japanese tablets are also so tiny. They just seem to make everything easier for people. However this time i don't think it is wise to proceed with the d&c quite this early.

Good thing to wait, thinking of you and hoping all goes well.

Goodness how stressful, I would definitely have opted to wait, good luck :hugs:

I'm so incredibly sorry <3 definitely wait and here's why:

1) bleeding is unbelievably common with twins. 50% of us bleed at some point in a twin pregnancy whether due to implantation that can come very late, increased risk of abruption and previa, etc.

2) we found out it was twins with two Hb's, one sac at 6+0 exactly. I went to the ER due to yep....spotting!!! I knew my dates for sure because I temped and did ovulation tests (Clearblue). Had I been even one day off, there wouldn't have been even 1 hb yet since 5+6 is really day 1 to hear it. You could be off by just a day so better to wait.

3) let's say the red blood indicates mc since brown is preferred. Vanishing twin where 1 doesn't make it happens 50% of the time in twin pregnancies, sadly. Therefore, you may just be losing the baby in the smaller sac, but her twin is going to be fine.

4) even though this looks like a frats scan, 30% of the time they turn out to be ID when DNA tested after birth. The smaller sac could be a baby who split 1-3 days AFTER her twin and thus, much smaller. Similarly, frats can implant up to a week apart with two different sexual encounters (frats are created by two eggs, two sperm)

I'll be praying for a good outcome for you <3 <3 you are absolutely doing the right thing and I won't be surprised at all if you return to say there's 2 babies with 2 Hb's.

I'm so incredibly sorry <3 definitely wait and here's why:

1) bleeding is unbelievably common with twins. 50% of us bleed at some point in a twin pregnancy whether due to implantation that can come very late, increased risk of abruption and previa, etc.

2) we found out it was twins with two Hb's, one sac at 6+0 exactly. I went to the ER due to yep....spotting!!! I knew my dates for sure because I temped and did ovulation tests (Clearblue). Had I been even one day off, there wouldn't have been even 1 hb yet since 5+6 is really day 1 to hear it. You could be off by just a day so better to wait.

3) let's say the red blood indicates mc since brown is preferred. Vanishing twin where 1 doesn't make it happens 50% of the time in twin pregnancies, sadly. Therefore, you may just be losing the baby in the smaller sac, but her twin is going to be fine.

I'll be praying for a good outcome for you <3 <3 you are absolutely doing the right thing and I won't be surprised at all if you return to say there's 2 babies with 2 Hb's.

Thanks Lucy! That's really lovely to hear, even if it doesn't end well, which I am preparing myself for, I think I just need to hear a little bit of positivity right now. Although the cramping was my main worry. It was super super painful. Along with red blood is not normal I guess.

I wish I was well enough to go to the shrine and pray but I think bed rest for now is best. My husband really really wanted twins and I had two twin dreams earlier on when I found out I was pregnant. Also I just felt like it was which was weird because I had no real reason to other than getting a quite a good positive on a 50miu pregnancy test at 9dpo.

The doctor thought I was crazy for wanting to wait but I knew I had to ask. I have a weird way of just doing as I'm told but something urged me to speak up this time and hopefully it was the right thing to do.

Thank you everyone else for your comments! X

I had spotting at 6 weeks and again at 7 weeks, i had bad cramping and all sorts... got my scheduled FS scan at 9 weeks (wouldn't see me any earlier even with spotting) to find twins and they said it explained all my pains and spotting. I agree you should wait a week or two and get another scan. Mine initially were 4 days difference at 9 weeks (9+3 and 8+6 and even then the smaller one was difficult to find the heartbeat initially) position made it hard to measure so i would agree you should definitely wait it out a bit!

my two caught up and over took a week and i had my due date moved and they are spot on with there new dates at 24 weeks - have hope xx

Bad cramping is also very common with a twin pregnancy. Can't even tell you how many times I visited Labor and Delivery for it...I had 50 scans in the pregnancy and 39 L&D visits.

Continued prayers and well-wishes. I'm so sorry they've jumped the gun so much, I agree it's the different culture. Wanted to add that twins are pretty uncommon in Asia in general. In fact, that population is the least likely to have twins (Nigeria has the most due to cassava yams of natural frats). I honestly just think they don't see them too often and don't understand how common the bleeding and late blooming Hb's are ;)

I'll be following your story as I really hope all turns out well for you, as everyone has said I think you are doing the right thing, and I really hope you see something more positive at your next scan xx

Natnee- how did your Scan go? Hope it went well!

Twin mamas how long do you think I should wait then to be on the safe side? I was thinking of waiting until at least next Wednesday where I will be 7 weeks exactly. I could wait longer if there is some improvement though.

If there is no heartbeat, is the embryo likely just to stop growing? Or will it continue to grow abnormally? I've promised to make sure I don't do any more googling. I'm worrying myself sick.

Lucy, do you have any good reliable sources of information for people expect twins in the early days? Would like to read up on what's happening to me if possible.

Twin mamas how long do you think I should wait then to be on the safe side? I was thinking of waiting until at least next Wednesday where I will be 7 weeks exactly. I could wait longer if there is some improvement though.

If there is no heartbeat, is the embryo likely just to stop growing? Or will it continue to grow abnormally? I've promised to make sure I don't do any more googling. I'm worrying myself sick.

Lucy, do you have any good reliable sources of information for people expect twins in the early days? Would like to read up on what's happening to me if possible.

Hi, I went to hospital but didn't get to have a scan, not good news. I won't post it in your thread, my update is in my thread. xx

Hey Nicole, sorry you are going through this but it's WAY too early for a D&C. I've read so many stories on here about ladies who couldn't see heartbeats at 6 weeks and they could at 7. I was stunned when I read they wanted to D&C already. Just wait to make sure so there is no doubt. :hugs:

I would wait at least until 7+5, maybe even 8+0 if they'll let you. With my singleton miscarriage, there was never a heartbeat and I waited until week 8 to be certain, had two more scans to be sure the baby was re-absorbing :cry:. Only then I took cytotec. It is a tough wait when you want closure either way...but I think in your case, you truly will see 2 healthy Hb's in the end <3

Exactly. It's so early that the embryo will stop growing. Your due date would be pushed back a week or two :( our bodies begin to re-absorb when it's this early. You would still see a tiny embryo in sac during the mc :cry:, but you yourself will suffer no future effects physically from that process other than the mc itself.

There are some great groups on fb. I administer the modi twins fb group with 19 others who all have or lost modi twins. I'll pm a few resources...<3 all the best <3

I would so wait until 8 weeks. Following and hoping you get a happy answer =)

I urge you to wait...give it at least 1-2 weeks.

Thinking of you and hope this ends positively for you!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AnneMariena
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->