5wk scan and nothing to see

Ginag88

First Time Mommy WTT#2
Reaction score
They couldn't see anything during my 5wk scan. She said my uterus lining was pretty thick. She said there is the possibility of a miscarriage or an ectopic stop she took a blood test today n will take one on Friday to see if my hormones are rising. I'm so scared. I'm trying not to cry but I just feel so disappointed like I can't catch a break.

5 weeks is sometimes too early to see anything. I know of a lot of Drs that wont scan before 6 weeks for this very reason.
I hope for you that everything is fine and its just too early to see anything yet. Fingers crossed xx

It is waaaaay too early to say it's a miscarriage! Most people aren't going to see anything beyond a thickened uterus lining at 5 weeks! Please try not to worry too much about this right now, although I know it's easier said than done. Same thing happened to me with this pregnancy. Although the doctors were smart/kind enough to not tell me it was a miscarriage! I can't believe she'd say that right now.

Thanks ladies, it means a lot.. my DH n I have been down n out all day because of what she said...

That's way too early hun. My doctor always calls me in 6weeks to see for the baby.

Hi!
Please don't worry, I had two scans one at 5 week and one at 5+3 days and both times they saw absolutely nothing! I had another at 5+5 days after they did my blood and they only saw a sac and yolk sac (very faint) I wouldn't worry at all at this stage, I am going back next week with hopes to see a baby but as morning sickness has just kicked in (I am 7 weeks now) I am sure everything is going to be great!

I also panicked when I couldn't see anything but after a lot of googling (worst thing ever to do!) I found tonnes of women who had the same, even as much as being a couple of days earlier then you think can have a huge impact. Also remember your hcg needs to be above certain level (I think it's 2000) to see anything... At 5 weeks mine was only 806.. But don't worry about the number, it only has to keep doubling :)

I was shocked I had an early scan as this is my first so I am not sure why they gave me one, but I am sure with my second I will definitely not have one.. Too much stress and worry! Not good for you or the baby.

Big hugs x

I had my first scan at 4w6d... Saw NOTHING just thickening of womb... Doc said the same and gave me details of pregnancy of unknown location. Doc actually spoke to me about miscarriage, none development, medication to dispel and nature taking course..my hcg was 396, 2 days later hcg was 827.
I was re scanned last wed at 5w6d and only saw a yolk sac, but all was in the right place....
I paid for a private scan yest £60 as the docs were so adamant and there it was a nice strong hb!!!
The sonographer explained how they are unable to see anything on the scan unless ur hcg levels are 1500or more and if she would have seen me originally then she would have refused to scan me!
Your hcg levels are meant to double every 48-72 hours but as long as they have increased by 66% they will be happy.
Please don't worry, the fact they can't see anything is merely because they won't be able to, it's just too early. There is nothing to see really until a few more days... Average day hb is seen is 6w3d but even then it could be 7 weeks.
Try and stay positive!
H xx

Yes! I think it's impossible to put an exact timeline on exactly when we should all see things .. We are growing our little babies, they will take as long as they need :)

It's too early I really wouldn't worry- they don't take into account your cycle length/ovulation etc

Any local place round here (UK) won't even book you in for a private one till 6 weeks and it would be rare to be referred to the EPU at 5 weeks as there's not much to see/if the worst happened nothing could be done

Keep yourself busy and try and relax its very early x

5 weeks exactly?? The earliest I've seen one of my babies was 5w6d, and I was lucky to be able to see a beating heart in that early scan. However, many babies aren't visible at all until 6 weeks or a few days later, and many babies' hearts don't start beating until 7 weeks along.

If this was an internal ultrasound, there is usually a visible sac at this stage, but there may or may not have been a visible embryo. If your bladder wasnt full, you wouldn't be able to see as much as you would if it were full. If you're dehydrated at all, that could also affect the scan negatively. If it was abdominal, your uterus usually doesn't even poke up out of your pelvis this early. My docs are hesitant to do an abdominal scan before 12 weeks and try not to do an internal ultrasound until 8 weeks along. If they do any kind of ultrasound earlier than 8 weeks along, they give you lots of warnings of what you may or may not be able to see at the stage. This is just one of those situations where you have to wait it out and see what pops up on the screen next week.

How are you doing today?
Did you book in for a second scan? If you can wait a week or 2, more time for baby to get nice and big so you can see more.

Have a lovely weekend! X

Hey ladies. So I'm spotting right now. It's brown spotting. I had minor cramps this morning but none now. Is it too late for this to be implantation bleeding? I'm going to go to the hospital but I really fear that it could be a miscarriage.

It isn't heavy, n it is brown (sorry tmi)... I wish I understood the difference between miscarriage n implantation bleeding.

Hi Gina,

No I don't think it's too late, also brown isn't a reason for concern, bright red blood however can mean something is off but even some people have this and are fine.. It seems to be red blood that soaks through a sanitary pad every hour that can mean the worst.

Good call on going to the hospital, peace of mind is so important as you don't want to be stressed!

I'm sure everything will be just fine :) thoughts are with you x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->