6 contractions on NST but sent home

AMB1216

Ethan's mommy
Reaction score
okay so I've got Gestational Diabetes and got a schedule to go get a NST two times a week. Last Thursday was my first one, I had a few contractions but nothing to worry about.

So today (I have them every monday and thursday) I go in and the nurse asked if I was on any medication or if it was just diet control. I told her just diet control. She was like "Oh well we don't usually have these until 40 weeks." What? 40 weeks is full term, and I was told that they may not even let me go to 40 weeks depending. While on the monitor for about 25 minutes I had approximately 6 contrations about 4 minutes apart and they were pretty painful, getting a lot of pressure and what not.

They took me into another room and checked to see if they were causing me to dilate, he said my cervix still felt closed but he could feel baby's head which could be causing some of the pressure. The nurse told me that when I came in Thursday if my sugars were still good then I wouldn't have any more NST's until 40 weeks or if my blood sugars spiked.

I'm still having contractions, have been having them for a little over a week and they are slowly getting worse and more painful over the last few days. Last Thursday I had a few contractions but couldn't even feel them, this time I felt all of them. Is it possible I'm in early labor? Like the very beginning stages or would I need to be dilated for them to even consider it early labor.

I just have this gut feeling that he's going to come within a few weeks. This is my first baby so I'm not exactly sure what labor and early labor feels like but part of me is convinced I'm in early labor.

I'm the same as you. When I was monitored on Thursday for lack of movement I had 4 in 20 minutes. Been steadily getting more and more since then. I was having a lot of pain yesterday so rang labour ward but they didn't seem to interested, they wouldn't let me go into be checked, they said since I've had the pain for 4 days I'd have a baby by now if it was labour. I disagree with this since it could be slow labour. But they know best I guess. They just said I was having Braxton hicks. Luckily today mine seem to have eased off.

I'd call up and go get checked again if you are that concerned, don't let them fob you if just cause it's your first.

Anything is possible. Maybe ring your mw and ask her advice.

Keep an eye on things if you start contracting more regular, for longer for an hour to point you cant talk could be labour.

That being said you can go through false labour a lot from now till 40w with it being your first.

Definitely keep track of them [they have tons of free apps for your phone so you can track them easily].
I had GH [gestational hypertension] and had NST 3x weekly. I had 22 contrations in 30 minutes. They weren't terribly painful but I did feel them. I was a finger tip dilated and they did not seem to care. As long as she was moving, had enough fluids and my blood pressure wasn't extremely high, they said the contractions were nothing to worry about :wacko: I figured, in the long run, they were just BH's. Since they can act/feel the same as real contractions. I do think it's rediculous that they aren't going to monitor you again til 40 weeks.
Just listen to your body and call/go in if you feel like labor is coming on/if you lose your plug or your waters. GL and I hope baby stays put for a few more weeks! :hugs:

I had a NST last week for reduced movement and saw a few contractions register and couldn't even feel them, the midwife asked if I was getting any pain, and when I said no she said they must be braxton hicks. On the way home I started to feel them, but it's more uncomfortable pressure than pain, so I'm not worried yet. I remember my first labour and at first I wasn't sure if they were true contractions but they still hurt, enough to be likened to bad period pain, so until I'm in pain I'm not concerned!
Like yours, mine have gotten more painful over the last week, but I'd say they're still stronger braxton hicks as opposed to labour contractions, like I say, with those they hurt from the first one, maybe not agony, but definitely more than these.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->