6 months and not interested

tinyme77

Reaction score
Hi,
My LO is just over 6 months and I can't get him to eat. In the past he has had a spoonful of baby rice and tasted a few other things but now he rejects the spoon. I don't want to make eating unpleasant for him so don't want to force him but he needs to start eating now. He isn't showing any signs of being interested in food. I've tried BLW but he messes around with it rather than eats it. i've tried eating next to him but it doesn't change his behaviour.
He's just started nursery and they are having a bit more luck but i wasn't impressed with their technique. The lady said that he was screaming and that she put the spoon in and scraped it across the top of his mouth so the food fell in and he ate it. I don't want to use this technique as i want him to want to eat. Any tips appreciated.
x

Hi,
My LO is just over 6 months and I can't get him to eat. In the past he has had a spoonful of baby rice and tasted a few other things but now he rejects the spoon. I don't want to make eating unpleasant for him so don't want to force him but he needs to start eating now. He isn't showing any signs of being interested in food. I've tried BLW but he messes around with it rather than eats it. i've tried eating next to him but it doesn't change his behaviour.
He's just started nursery and they are having a bit more luck but i wasn't impressed with their technique. The lady said that he was screaming and that she put the spoon in and scraped it across the top of his mouth so the food fell in and he ate it. I don't want to use this technique as i want him to want to eat. Any tips appreciated.
x

You really need to TELL the nursery not to do that - its an awful way for a baby to learn about food! Its better for them to give him milk than try like that.

Have you tried to give him bits of food in a less relaxed/more normal environment? What I mean is rather than sit him in the chair put a bib on etc...try giving him bits of food to much on for example when he is sat with you on your knee, or in a bumbo maybe?
I know Izzy wasn't great taking things with her hands when I put them on the tray in front of her...but one day I gave her either a bread stick or a biscuit not sure which when she was sat in the bumbo watching a bit of TV - and she ate it, she then seemed to twig it was for eating and started to get better!

The other morning I gave him a piece of the toast that i was eating and he seemed to enjoy sucking on it but i tried the next day and he just wasn't interested. I'll try again tomorrow as it worked in the living room sat on my knee and failed in his high chair. You're right about the nursery. I'll speak to them on Monday.

Just playing with the food for a while is normal at the start of BLW. It doesn't sound like he likes being spoonfed, many babies don't, especially 6 months +.
We do BLW and Ruby just messed with, or ignored her food until 7 months, at which point she started to eat a good variety of foods very well indeed!
What you need to remember is just because he has turned 6m, it doesn't mean he suddenly needs food! It's perfectly fine and good to start solids very slowly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leoniee
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->