• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

6 weekold - dr browns bottles, which teat size for colic?

_Nell

mummy
Reaction score
I'm a bit confused. Some books say a teat that baby has to work too hatd with is worse for colic as baby inhales more air in their efforts. Other books say if the teat flows fast they guzzle and gulp making colic worse.
how do i know which is right for LO?

Size 1 she sucks hard at, seems to almost have a blister on her top lip. A 5-7oz feed takes her overhalf an hour.
Size 2 she managesfine on, feed takes around 15 minutes or so but i can hear her gulping fast and dr browns say size 2 is for 3 mths plus.

We had the same problem around that time with my little guy. He would attack his bottles like he was starving! We moved him up to size 2 nipples for a short time, but after his growth spurt the flow seemed too fast so I started using the size 1 nipples again.

I don't think the size nipple made as much difference to the amount of air little guy swallows. I just had to make sure to burp him really well after a couple ounces (he would NOT burp any sooner, just screamed!).

I'd say stick with the size 1 for now. My lo is still using size one nipples on Dr. Brown's bottles. Even though it seems like she's sucking hard, because of the way those bottles are, the milk sort of keeps dripping out even if baby isn't sucking (but just water in one and tip it over the sink, you'll see what I mean). I think the gulping fast with the size 2 would be worse on her tummy.

Hi,

I put my Son on level 2 teats for colic. I had visited the maternity ward for something else and spoke to the midwives and they told me and also showed me the aptimal newborn bottles which I used to feed my Son when in hospital ( I was there for a few weeks) and they were equivalent to a level 2. I was gobsmacked. He seemed to be working too hard on the level 1 teat. He gulp it at first but after a couple of bottles he got used to it. At this point he was about 7 weeks old.

BG

I really think you need to pick one size and stick with it so your lo is not confused. I think you should just use the #2. Don't go by age, go by skill. She finishes timely, without a lot of "backwashing" and making a mess, and the gulping is only because the flow is faster. Your lo just has a more advanced suck-swallow relex is all. My son was in the NICU and some nurses were using the toddler (largest) nipples on him, while I used the newborn size. He had many feeding problems until he got out and we only used one bottle (Dr. Brown's) and one size nipple. He has had a slower suck-swallow relfex development, and at 3 1/2 months had only moved to a #2 nipple and was struggling with it. It took about two weeks for him to get it down. I was also still using the #1 at night when he was really sleepy and not concentrating as much on feeding. BUT-- we just started him on solids because he is advanced in that area.

Thanks everyone, i think we'll stay on the size 2's, it's been a few days since we switched and she only gulps on some feeds, no spillage so seems to be coping fine - we used the aptamil instant bottles in hospital too, so reassuring thry are the same.
We've had a really bad few days with the colic, so trying not to make a false link to the teat size making it worse!

Try vari flow, Boots vari flow teats work with dr browns they have been great for us

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
irenetta
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->