6 yr old girl, screaming fits?

jeslyn

Reaction score
Hi ladies :) I'm looking for some advice to keep my sanity. I have 6 yr old boy/ girl twins, and my daughter over the past six months has started throwing screaming fits. I'm literally at my wits end because its usually over nonsense. Its like nothing will make it stop. One thing doesn't go her way, and she's screaming at the top of her lungs kicking the door when i put her in her room.
The punishment has been to separate her from us, and i have been giving her a time out the next day for any night time occurrences. Help please! I can't take anymore!

Side note, her twin brother wants nothing more than me to be happy and wouldn't consider this type of behavior. He has even tried talking with her, but nothing helps.

I have no great advise hun... can you think back to when it started? Did something happen to trigger this behavior. It's most likely a "stage" but 6 mos... I can imagine how tough that must be on you all. If one person in a household is off- it can distrupt the entire family dynamic. She sounds very frustrated- but over what? If it's silly things, then there must be more going on I would think. I assume you've tried sitting her down when she's calm and discussing the "issue"... like what her feelings were, why she got so upset etc... maybe you can find ways to help find a better outlet. Or try another approach- instead of seperating her (I remember this just used to get me even more worked up as a kid tbh)- try re-directing her energy. Maybe get a snow globe- and teach her how to take deep breathes and focus on the globe (or something to help redirect her mind)- and have her count to 10 or count with her and take the breathes with her till she get's it more... then discuss her feelings, and make sure you validate her feelings are normal, but the behavior is not OK.

That's my best two cents... I read about the breathing thing in a book I read. So gonna try that out with my LO when she's a bit bigger- kinda wish I knew about it when my SD was younger- cause she had anxiety and would argue and push HARD when she wanted her way. It was tough! Lots of trial and error figuring out what worked for her.

Best of luck!

Btw- usually kids that age need us to help them recognize their feelings- allow them to try to explain, but help them along (if that makes sense)- like say it seems you don't like not getting your way... how do you feel (then explain that means they are frustrated etc...). If they can understand or recognize their feelings it's easier for them to communicate and can help diffuse a situation.

Thank u so much, those sound helpful, will try. I'm certainthis will be a process. I'm willingto try anything at this point. I am looking forward to discussing feelings ..maybe I can find or make a chart in case she can't vocalize. Thank you again ")

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->