I think it's awful. I stumbled across a youtube video of a young woman with a little baby on her lap, about 3 months old, and the baby let out this horrified scream as the gun pierced her ears and the mother continued to hold her down whilst baby was trying to kick and break free. That really affected me.

That's horrible :(
Who put it on YouTube, surely not the mum?!

Theres a video on there of a baby being circumcised without pain relief and breaking his heart. With his father laughing :nope:

One of my fondest memories as a child was going to the mall with my mother to get my ears pierced. Even though I knew it was going to hurt, I didn't care and felt so amazing and special when I left with her.

I don't want to take that potential feeling away from her, if that makes sense? I was old enough to take care of them myself and had been begging my mom for weeks to get it done.

With how difficult I found it (personally) to care for an infant, I definitely would not want to add to my workload caring for pierced ears. :lol:

Yes, earrings are a treat for a child/ older girl not a baby, i had to ask my mum aloooooot before i was allowed them done (eventually got them done at 13/14) this was in exchange for giving up sucking my thumb lol. i'm having a boy this time but if i ever have a girl i want to have that experience where my daughter asks me, then we go together for a nice girly day. in my experience it DID hurt, its a good learning experience, no pain no gain sometimes!! but if she knows that and wants to do it, fine. i wouldnt do this to a baby as they havent told me its what they want.

Im not into baby piercing, somthing just doesnt feel right to me about putting a hole and a foreign object in a babies flesh purely for looks.
To me personaly jewlery is an asfetic thing there for ment to be linked to sexual atrraction or show of wealth (as was its original meaning) and I dont realy understand associating that with a baby.
But like many things its one of those each to their own things and while |I think to myself "I dont like it" I would never say such to someone that has it done.

One of my fondest memories as a child was going to the mall with my mother to get my ears pierced. Even though I knew it was going to hurt, I didn't care and felt so amazing and special when I left with her.

I don't want to take that potential feeling away from her, if that makes sense? I was old enough to take care of them myself and had been begging my mom for weeks to get it done.

With how difficult I found it (personally) to care for an infant, I definitely would not want to add to my workload caring for pierced ears. :lol:

Yes, earrings are a treat for a child/ older girl not a baby, i had to ask my mum aloooooot before i was allowed them done (eventually got them done at 13/14) this was in exchange for giving up sucking my thumb lol. i'm having a boy this time but if i ever have a girl i want to have that experience where my daughter asks me, then we go together for a nice girly day. in my experience it DID hurt, its a good learning experience, no pain no gain sometimes!! but if she knows that and wants to do it, fine. i wouldnt do this to a baby as they havent told me its what they want.

I nagged and nagged my mum till she gave in when I was about 11 which I think is a reasonable age, I soon got fed up with them and left them out and made her go back with me again (more because I was scared:) ) when I was about 14.
She drew the line at coming with me to get my tounge pierced at 18 though and agreed that I could have a snake and a tattoo if I didnt get it done :)

I really do not see any possible positive thing to having a baby's ears pierced. Poor things don't know what the pain is for, can't ask for it, consent or deny consent, and can pull at their ears and hurt themselves... :nope: Just not good.

My mum felt really strongly about having piercings though (she had 2 piercings in each ear lobe, 1st ones done when she was 18 and the 2nd ones done when I had my first ones :lol:). I begged her for YEARS to get mine done and eventually she took me to have them done at 13. By 15 I had gone a bit mad and had several facial piercings, belly button and even a nipple :shock:
Sorry a little bit of a tangent there, but my point is that I think my mum went a bit too far in the direction of making me wait - I just ended up rebelling and overdoing it as soon as I realised the piercing shop evidently thought I looked old enough to go in on my own.

As far as my daughter is concerned, she is 5 and has never shown an interest in having her ears pierced (or any other part of her anatomy for that matter). If she does show an interest, I will go over the realities of it (i.e. it will hurt, need lots of cleaning etc) and let her decide.

Just a little extra reading on piercings done using those 'guns' :

https://www.homiegfunk.com/gunssuck.htm

i think it is a cultural thing. here it is the norm to pierce girls ears. my DD had hers pierced at 1wk old and she cried a bit but was fine straight after. she has never had an infection. i had my ears pierced by the mw in hospital, that was the norm and this only stopped happening a few years ago. it was done professionally, not using a 'gun' but with sterile needles. i dont know anyone's LO's who have had an infection or hurt themselves as a result. they will only do it if LO is under 10 days as then they dont realise that ther were never there in the 1st place.

i think it is a cultural thing. here it is the norm to pierce girls ears. my DD had hers pierced at 1wk old and she cried a bit but was fine straight after. she has never had an infection. i had my ears pierced by the mw in hospital, that was the norm and this only stopped happening a few years ago. it was done professionally, not using a 'gun' but with sterile needles. i dont know anyone's LO's who have had an infection or hurt themselves as a result. they will only do it if LO is under 10 days as then they dont realise that ther were never there in the 1st place.

1 week old? :shock:
i really don't mean to be rude or to offend you but thats awful.
i couldn't stand my LO having her vit K injection never mind having her ears pierced lol x

Not for me, I dont like the way it looks on babies at all, and the thought of putting them through pain for something that isnt needed, well i just couldnt do it. My OH hates the way it looks too.

We have a friend who did it to her daughter quite young, her family were tradionally travelling people, but she now lives in a house, but everytime my OH and I see them in ther tiny daugter we cringe.

But each to their own, everyone is different.

I agree. Getting my ears pierced was a rite of passage and I wouldn't want to deny my daughter that by having them pierced as an infant.

against it. i just dont see the point. x

I think there is also a degree of differance as well though, having studs on a baby while I dont realy like it is one thing but I saw a baby a few months old the other day with little claddagh hoops in and I think thats going too far.

Mine were done when I was 1 week old. It's cultural. I dont remember it, & i'm glad they were done when I was a baby. I still have the same ones & I never had any more piercings. I dont wear earings unless I'm going to a party, I heard that the ones done at a very young age don't close (not sure). I love to wear earings but I'm allergic to any types of earings. This is why I dont wear them unless I'm going somewhere special. Those dont close, this is why I like them.

It's common where I come from this is why I'm not with or against it.

My parents had my ears pierced when I was a baby. I like having them pierced. However, I would not pierce my child's ears until they were old enough to understand, and to take care of the piercings.

I don't think anyone is a bad parent for having it done, it's just not for me & my (future) kids. I think it's along the same lines of circumcision. I just wouldn't poke holes in or cut off pieces of my baby.

EDIT: I wanted to add that I do see a lot of babies with pierced ears in my area, so I guess it's pretty popular. But it sucks going to Walmart and having to hear someone's baby or small child screaming and trying to get away when the parents are getting the child's ears pierced.

I don't agee with piecing babies ears, due to the fact I think they should have a choice and they have an immature immune system.

Babies immune system is not fully developed and is vey immature, so having a babies ears pieced is putting a strain on a very primative immune system. An immune system that is already trying to deal with the world around it and all the bugs babies come into contact with. I also think children should have a choice and they should have it when they understand pain, the risks and how to care for the piercing x

Mine were done when I was 1 week old. It's cultural. I dont remember it, & i'm glad they were done when I was a baby. I still have the same ones & I never had any more piercings. I dont wear earings unless I'm going to a party, I heard that the ones done at a very young age don't close (not sure). I love to wear earings but I'm allergic to any types of earings. This is why I dont wear them unless I'm going somewhere special. Those dont close, this is why I like them.

They can, i think it all depends on your skin etc, i had mine done at 6 and mine havent closed up, and like you, im allergic to earrings so dont wear them often <3

They can, i think it all depends on your skin etc, i had mine done at 6 and mine havent closed up, and like you, im allergic to earrings so dont wear them often <3

I had mine done at 13, and have never closed and i dont wear earings for years, the last time im sure was my wedding day back in 2007 and they still havent closed. Kind of wish they would, i like you guys have problems, and they hurt so i dont wear them.

Mine have not closed and I got mine done at 12, sometimes I dont wear earings for months on end x

I am anti-piercing. I could never hurt my child like that just because our society thinks that self mutilation looks pretty. It's beyond primitive.

its cruel and looks horrendous. Why would you want to pierce holes through a tiny innocent babies ears?
wait until they are old enough to make their own choice

Mine have not closed and I got mine done at 12, sometimes I dont wear earings for months on end x

Me too, I rarely wear earrings (I have 2 on each ear), and they haven't closed up. I got the first set done when I was a little baby, and the second ones I got at 8 yrs old.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->