7 week scan,no fetal pole .... advice needed.

DanielleTTC

Reaction score
Yesterday we had a scan at 7 weeks ( my dates are exact, it's an ivf cycle). So they found the sac and the yolk but found no fetal pole - my womb is retroverted, don't know if that makes any difference.
So we are pretty much lost hope that this pregnancy would carry on , we had bloods done yesterday they results came back today you hgc levels are in the 27000. So now I'm confused and don't know what to think.

Has anyone experience this and successfully carries on my a pregnancy? We have a scan on Tuesday.

I've not been in this position before but didnt want to read and run. I have seen quite a few stories online of women with retroverted uterus who haven't been able to see anything on an early scan, so there might be hope and your hcg levels are good too. Are they taking more bloods to see if they're increasing?

The other thing to prepare yourself for is a blighted ovum but I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you xx

Hey hun, I just wanted to say its not over some babies just take there time showing up especially with a retroverted uterus. I have one to and it makes early scans a bit more difficult. The fact that a sac and yolk sac present are a good sign. Was it a vaginal or abdominal scan? Are they going to repeat the scan?

Thank you both, my next scan is Tuesday and I think they will do bloods again then. I was vaginal scan and was hard to find at first it just looks like a big black open space then right at the too early the sac and yolk.

I can only give you my own person experience, but a very similar thing happened to me recently. I had a scan at 8+3 and baby measured 5 weeks, there was a fetal pole, but very small, nowhere close to what it would be measuring at 8 weeks. I also have a retroverted uterus, but that should make no difference. A retroverted uterus can make it tougher to do an abdominal scan, but they should be doing an internal scan to date anyway at that point.

There is always a chance with these that your dates could be off, but if you know your dates (I knew mine exactly, and actually had gotten a positive test 5 weeks before, so there was no chance I was only 5 weeks pregnant), unfortunately, I'm sorry to say, it means that baby has stopped growing. Your hcg levels will still be high and could even increase as your body believes things are moving along as they should even when they aren't. I had a d&c 2 weeks ago (6 weeks after baby stopped developing) and even now 8 weeks later, I get a positive on a test. It's not accurate. It's just a weird thing your body unfortunately does.

They will have you come back in for another scan though in about a week or so just to check again as they will want to make sure they are giving you the right information. And then they can talk to you about what your options are for moving forward and what you want to do next. That's not to say to completely lose hope, but if you know your dates, it's very likely unfortunately that the scan is accurate. In the meantime, hang in there and take care of yourself. It's such a tough thing to go through, especially when you're hanging in limbo like this. I found that one of the most difficult things, just not knowing what was happening. I found talking to other ladies who had experiencing the same, including several close friends, was really helpful. :hugs:

I can only give you my own person experience, but a very similar thing happened to me recently. I had a scan at 8+3 and baby measured 5 weeks, there was a fetal pole, but very small, nowhere close to what it would be measuring at 8 weeks. I also have a retroverted uterus, but that should make no difference. A retroverted uterus can make it tougher to do an abdominal scan, but they should be doing an internal scan to date anyway at that point.

There is always a chance with these that your dates could be off, but if you know your dates (I knew mine exactly, and actually had gotten a positive test 5 weeks before, so there was no chance I was only 5 weeks pregnant), unfortunately, I'm sorry to say, it means that baby has stopped growing. Your hcg levels will still be high and could even increase as your body believes things are moving along as they should even when they aren't. I had a d&c 2 weeks ago (6 weeks after baby stopped developing) and even now 8 weeks later, I get a positive on a test. It's not accurate. It's just a weird thing your body unfortunately does.

They will have you come back in for another scan though in about a week or so just to check again as they will want to make sure they are giving you the right information. And then they can talk to you about what your options are for moving forward and what you want to do next. That's not to say to completely lose hope, but if you know your dates, it's very likely unfortunately that the scan is accurate. In the meantime, hang in there and take care of yourself. It's such a tough thing to go through, especially when you're hanging in limbo like this. I found that one of the most difficult things, just not knowing what was happening. I found talking to other ladies who had experiencing the same, including several close friends, was really helpful. :hugs:

This is the third time it's happened, we just never had high hgc levels before. We haven't got our hopes up because we sort of know it's no use to hope for the impossible. Thankyou for your advice

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
queenmom14
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->