7 weeks into breastfeeding - 2nd time mastitis - should I give in

Kmx

Reaction score
I'm in agony since Friday started antibiotics on Saturday. It's my second time having mastitis. Didn't sleep at all on Friday night due to fever then shivering and sweating. I'm so exhausted. Not sure what to do. I feel like an awful mum to my 5 year old as I'm so sore & tired. Didn't leave the house all weekend just lay on the couch feeling awful. She is refusing a bottle so I had to look after her even though feeding and lifting her was so sore.

I've been losing my patience with my OH too as I'm so sleep deprived and sore.

Just don't know if it's worth it anymore. I really really seen myself BF long term but I just don't seem to be feeling any better 3 days later and then what if I get it again in a few weeks time.

And then there's the thought of not being able to leave LO with anyone. I don't have the time to keep expressing so it's difficult to keep trying her with difficult bottles everyday. If I find one she'll take and then I don't have the chance to keep trying her with it I'm worried she'll stop taking that bottle too.

I was BF thinking I was being the best mum I can be but i just don't feel like a good mum anymore as I can barely leave the couch.

You poor dear! Bug hugs to you. Are you dealing with oversupply? This can definitely contribute to clogged ducts and mastitis. If you want to keep breastfeeding I highly recommend going to see a lactation cpnsultant, they are so helpful and saved me from giving in after a myriad of troubles with my first. There are supplements you can take yo help your milk from clogging. Hopefully someone can chime in.

Ultimately it's up to you but I promise this is a lousy bump in the road and eventually things will get a whole lot easier. For now, take good care of yourself, rest as much is possible, eat well and get better!

Thanks so much. I really do want to BF but I just feel so drained by it. I'm not sure if I have over supply, she often chokes on my milk and she sometimes makes a clicking noise when feeding which I've read can be signs of over supply but I'm not sure. When I try to express sometimes nothing comes out other times 1 or 2 oz comes out then rarely 3-4 oz. It's a manual pump I have so not sure if that means I don't have an over supply!

Seems light a switch has flicked in my brain regarding BF and I'm almost convincing myself to stop (maybe cos I'm so tired) but until this weekend I had imagined BF until 6 months at least as I was finding it so easy. I stop with my son at 3-4 weeks as I was struggling but she's been so easy. Just the masitis is & bottle refusal is really getting me down. There's a BF support in my town on a Monday morning so I've missed that today but I may call the helpline I got in hospital to see what they say.

Firstly, big hugs! That sounds horrible. I agree with the other poster.. It doesn't feel like it now but it really does get better and easier. Also I wanted to say to make sure you don't rule out oversupply as being part of the culprit due to how much you can get pumping. That really doesn't tell you how much you produce.. The baby is able to get a lot more than a pump. I hope you feel better soon :hugs:

I had mastitis twice with my first and gave up as a result. We had had a rough time as I had to express as he wouldn't latch. My supply was so poor he was only getting a bottle of my milk a day, the rest was formula. After getting mastitis for the second time, it just wasn't worth it for a bottle of milk a day. I don't know if I would have given up or not if I had been EBF, I honestly don't know. Mastitis is horrible though, so if you do give up, please don't feel guilty.

Thanks for the support it really helps. I've noticed a pain in the OTHER boob tonight and had a feel and there's a lump in that one now & the skin is all red. I can't bloody believe it! Can it be connected to the other infected boob or is this one separate and blocked by itself?

Even if I do want to stop my baby is currently refusing the two bottles I've tried so far (MAM & Tomme tippe closer to nature). I feel so annoyed as I had no idea that the chances of baby refusing a bottle was quite high and the chances of getting sick because of breastfeeding was high. I feel so trapped & that's not what I want as I feel forced to breastfeed rather than making the decision freely. I think deep down even if she did take a bottle I don't think I'm ready to stop I just hate being forced into that decision :(

I'm so so sorry :hugs: it does sound like it could be on the other side as well now. I understand feeling trapped and it's not a good feeling. I ebf this baby but to get a breather I would pump here and there and let someone else feed her. She wouldnt take a bottle from me though. I had to hand her over to someone else.. My mom managed to coax her into taking one after a few tries and after that she would sometimes take one from me but mostly others lol if you need a break here and there I would recommend having someone else work with her to try. Good luck!

Hi,

I didn't bf, so this might be slightly different, but when we were trying to wean our son off his bottle and onto his sippy cup, he initially refused the cup. Each day, at each meal, he would just scream until we gave him his bottle. We decided not to stress over it, but rather, just keep calmly trying to offer him the cup. Then one day (maybe a week or two after gently offering) he just suddenly took the cup and drank from it like nothing.

So maybe just casually keep offering your baby the bottle and see what happens? They might suddenly just be okay with it. I think the "casually" offering is the key part, as I think they sense and react negatively when we feel stressed/anxious for them to do something.

good luck with whatever you decide!

I only have a minute to post but here's a great tip for clogged ducts: get in the shower and apply very hot water to the affected area. While the water runs massage the heck out of it (yes, this will hurt!) as long as you can.After you shower apply a hot water bottle/warm compress and continue to massage periodically. Last resort: look for a physiotherapist in your area who does ultrasound for clogged ducts. This can also really help! I'll write back later...

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->