If you want to go to university you will either need A levels or you could do an Access to HE course at college, which is only a year long. Most colleges do an Access to Social Work course so you could do that, and if you apply now then there may still be spaces for September. I did an Access and it was hard work but definitely worth it as a fast track to uni. Good luck!

Doncaster college do an access to social work course and i think rcat do a similar one aswell

Is social work classed as a health proffesion? Im doing an access to science in september and from that its says you can go on to uni to do nursing, midwifery, science and most health proffession courses

Dont know if your wanting to go to uni but just looked on sheff hallam website and for social work they accept access to nursing, access to science, access to health proffesions, basically any health related access course. The access to science im doing you cover allsorts from biology to sociology

i thought for social work, you needed 6 months min exp... i dno where i heard this :) just be something worth checking! but yeah you can do an access to social work course.. unless you live in a lame area like mine where they only offer the one standard access course and u need all C grade Gcse's to get onto it because its highly subscribed! .. i couldn't get on as i didn't have a math Gcse... even tho u can take it as part of the course i believe ?! .. sorry to side track lol x

I had to get a C in english and maths to do the course and i had to have them before i started

I think its fair anuff if it was the same everywhere but some people in some areas of the country needed no gcse to get on the course but on ovas you did.... I know its up to the college but ughhhh lol

Yes i am in the process of applying to start next september and you also need a minimum of 6 months relevant work experience to even be considered for an interview.

I am absolutely no help as I am in the US but just wanted to say: Go Social Work!! I will be graduating with my BSW this December. I start my final semester which is an internship this coming Monday (29th), cant wait!

Yes i am in the process of applying to start next september and you also need a minimum of 6 months relevant work experience to even be considered for an interview.

Is that in England?

I study social work at uni in Scotland they prefer some experience but it isn't necessary.
Why? Because they would rather have candidates with potential than some with lots of experience but aren't going to put much effort in etc.

They ask you have Higher English (erm A level?) and instead if an interview I was gven a case study with questions which we had to answer.

I'm at one of the top unis for social work in Scotland so although t sounds a weird process it seems tm work.

Try Health and Social Sciences /. social sciences and maybe even get a few days of experience in different settings :)

can you study social work at open university? [from home] does anyone know?? xxxx

Yes thats in England at all the universities i want to apply to in London!

Leafy I don't think so but not sure as you have to do set amount of placement.

Babyno9 aww that's so weird that youvnto have experience!
Good luck!

leafy you can if you are sponsored by an employer for placement reasons i would imagine, i assume its a really hands on degree :) x

Hi girls,

I'm a social worker and I had no experience when applying for my degree and was able to get in. It would probably help to have experience or have done some voluntary work but don't think it's necessary.

I also don't think you can do an Open Uni degree in social work as the placements are generally through your Local Health Authority, or a charity

i'm ok GSCE wise :) got all C's and above, I might look at doing access to science then :)

Hey did you enrol onto a course? im wanting to study social care and would be looking at rcat as its close to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->