8 week check up and immunisations

isil

Reaction score
Hi all,

Ally had his jabs and check up this morning. Everything was generally fine...he has a couple of common problems that have to be followed up though - a hydrocele (spelling! - some kind of liquid sac thing in his testicle?) and then his kidneys which we're seeing the consultant for on bonfire night!

His weight and length correlate (91st percentile for both!) BUT his head circumference is 50th percentile. I asked if that was okay and GP looked at me like I was stupid and said that it was perfectly fine but then said later on that they'd need to keep an eye on it?!

Then his jabs. He's had a temperature the past couple of days. I asked the nurse if that was okay and she took temp again (slightly high still she said) but then proceeded to give him his jabs?! I thought they weren't meant to do that. So now I am completely paranoid that he's going to actually get really ill and I won't notice as much as I'll just think it's him having a normal reaction to the immunisations.

Nurse then made me feel awful for not exclusively breastfeeding but...whatever.

Ah well, that's one milestone down I suppose!

They made you feel awful for that? Why? What did you say? When I say both they generally look quite impressed!

She asked if I wanted to boob him after he'd had his jabs and I said 'no, he's got a bottle and I don't want him to use the breast for comfort'.
her - oh...why aren't you just bf him?
me - (thinking why the hell should I explain myself to you...) well...he is quite a big baby and we had problems in hospital.
her - but the more you feed the more milk you'll make and yes he is big but you're perfectly capable of feeding him.
me - to be honest I don't enjoy it.
her - oh....*insert disapproving look* but why?!
I just ignored her! Seriously, like a kid who just keeps repeating 'why'....
Then, after I put him in his pushchair to take him out she started going on about how he didn't look v.comfortable and needed to have the blanket around him more (hello, he's hot and bothered and has a temperature!) and she started fussing him making him more upset.

The Dr (who is usually a bit disapproving of me in general lol) was really happy with him taking both and agreed with me that it's better that I'm happy with his feeding and that it's really good that I'm still managing to bf at all.

I wouldn't worry about the nurse. As long as you and Alasdair are happy then you are doing great, and even some boobie will be good for him in the long run.
Colton had the same problem at his 2 month with the water in his testicles. His pedia said it should go away by 6mo, and I think it has. They told me sometimes it wont look like it's there and thats because it will go up into their abdomen through a little tube that connects the two; and it should close by 6mo so the water will stop coming down into their testicles.

Thanks Marchbaby! The info about the testicle thing is really interesting! I've always just been so concerned with his kidneys that I haven't thought about it but I suppose I should've wondered exactly what was going on!

Oh for heavens sake! Does this woman have nothing else to worry about.

You're doing a great job

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->