8 week old sick after every feed :(

Leafy

Reaction score
After every bottle, my 8 week old will bring alot of it back up over the period of 30-60 minutes. Im having to change her moses basket sheets constantly and her clothes.

She used to have aptamil 1 which she wasnt sick much on but rarely fnished her bottles, would fuss throughout the feed and only drink about 2-3oz if we were lucky. We also had trouble winding her. We changed to aptamil comfort and she now finishes 5oz and seems to enjoy the milk more, but she is sick all the time now!

We keep her upright after feeds and always burp her. She will eventually fall asleep usually after her feeds but when we put her down, within half hour she is sick.

Anyone else been through this? Is it the comfort milk? It is supposed to be gentler on their stomachs? :shrug:

Sounds like reflux to me, maybe speak to your health visitor?.:flower:

Yes! I have dealt with this now for 6 months +. She used to throw up all the time when I was breast feeding her and then she'd be constantly feeding cuz she was hungry again so I put her on formula. SMA 1 she kept puking up n didn't seem to fill her up so we tried SMA extra hungry. She was brill on that for a few months but eventually started throwing up again. Tried SMA 1 again and no luck. Tried SMA reflux milk and while it did help her puking, we were finding it hard to come through the teats and the bigger teats were too fast and she got constipated. Now she's on 3 meals a day and has 4oz of follow on milk in between and does really well with it but still pukes now and then. Sorry for the essay!

I've spoke to the doctors and my HV several times about it too. They won't prescribe her anything because they don't think she has the classic symptoms of reflux. Apparently she's just a sicky baby. But she does seem to be a bit better as I said on the follow on milk.

Thanks, im seeing the HV tomorrow so will definitely be asking about it. Can they prescribe anything? Or will she have to see the doctor? x

I had to TELL my doctor she had reflux at six weeks and she prescribed me infant gaviscon there and then. She still spits up but doesn't have the stomach emptying episodes. They do grown out of it but for now the gaviscon thickens the feed enough to keep most of it down. E is exclusively breast fed so I express a bit and mix it with that and give it in a bottle.
Good luck, I know how awful it is xxx

If it's not bothering her and she's gaining weight okay then it's probably not a big deal. A lot of babies that age spit up frequently, but unless they're having other symptoms they're usually just "happy spitters" and it's a laundry problem rather than a medical one. My LO had bad acid reflux and she would vomit 3+ times after each feed in addition to being very fussy during and after eating - it was clear that she was unhappy and uncomfortable.

She probably has acid reflux my lo was just put on Zantac today for reflux. I haven't gotten it yet but I'm hoping it helps! We had to change his formula twice and he's on nutramigen now which really helps with everything else he was dealing with but the reflux just keeps getting worse.

My LO used to spit up to a dozen times after a feed, especially the first one in the morning...big splats on the floor the diameter of my foot! However, she was gaining weight just fine and didn't seem too distressed about it. I believe she was just eating too much and then puking up what wasn't going to fit into her stomach. Around 5 or 6 months, she pretty much got over it. She only spits up about 5 or 6 times a day (better than 3 to 4 dozen!).

Doctors here won't prescribe medicine unless the baby isn't gaining adequate weight due to reflux.

Is your LO gaining weight properly? I only ask because around 7/8 weeks our LO started projectile vomiting and he hadn't gained weight since 6 weeks and he had pyloric stenosis which meant a little operation, but if your LO is gaining weight and isn't dehydrated or anything it sounds a lot like reflux, in which case you could try SMA stay down?? Our health visitor recommended it to us when they thought LO had reflux x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->