9 months and only 10-12 oz's of milk a day?

mum22ttc#3

Mum of 3
Reaction score
Dd3 is BLW and absolutely loves her food, she eats anything and everything we give her, the problem we are having is we are lucky if she will drink 10-12 oz's and even when she does it's a real struggle.

We always offer her milk first and wait for at least 1.5 hours until we offer solids yet she will only ever take 2-3 oz's. Lunchtime and dinner are the same and I usually offer her milk for each in two sittings.

Her weight has dropped nearly a centile line which the HV wasn't concerned with but does want her to go back next month.

I'm just wondering really if anyone has had the same and how you managed to get their milk intake up. I am giving her 2 yogurts a day which I think class as 2 oz's each and cheese now as a snack and usually at lunch so that that adds a couple more ounces. I've also just switched her breakfast to wetabix from toast so that that will be a few more.

I'm just worried as the rate she is going it looks like she will totally refuse milk soon.

I would say that's okay. As long as you're offering it first and you're making an effort to get other sources of dairy in her diet, I'd just go with what she's telling you and not worry about it too much. If she doesn't want it, she doesn't want it. If you haven't already, I'd consider adding a vitamin supplement to her diet so she's getting some extra nutrients she won't be getting from the formula, and also make sure she's offered water to drink regularly too. If there is a concern about weight gain, you could try upping the calorie content of her meals. Sneak butter in anywhere you can, make sure you're using full fat milk, offer peanut or another nut butter, etc.

Alani is 10 months and she will eat anything and everything.
I offer two 5 oz bottles and a 9 oz bottle at night. So, out of 19 oz, she will only drink around 10 oz.
She refuses juice and water, so I try and get her watery fruit like melon.

Babies eat and drink what they want. I wouldn't worry

Thanks. It's actually worse now then when I first posted. I still offer at both morning and night but she will usually only drink about 3 oz's in the morning and 1-2 at night.

I'm trying not to worry to much as I'm due to take her back to be weighed in 3 weeks or so, so will just see what they say then.
I've also been giving her a lot of dairy, cheese for both lunch and snacks and yogurt at both lunch and dinner, she probablly eats about 8 oz's worth of yogurt in total. I've swapped her toast in the morning too to weetabix so again it's a few more oz's.

For her weight I'm trying to give her things like bananas and advocados along with the above as I've read these are good for weight gain in babies.

Just hope it all helps, I'm going to speak to the HV to about maybe swapping formula? Not sure if it will make a difference but am thinking it could be worth a try?

Thanks again :)

I could have written your post as that was what I was dealing with concerning my LO when she was 10-11 months. 10-12oz in formula for a 24 hour day.

What we do is ALWAYS offer bottle before meals. Otherwise she is not getting enough liquids and then is not wetting enough diapers and is constipated. Because her water/milk intake equals MAYBE 4 oz max in 24 hours, but generally maybe half that on average. So my general rule of thumb is that she consumes a bottle before a meal, period. That has turned into sometimes waiting an extra half hour or even an hour for meals, but so be it. She generally consumes 5-7 oz at least 3x per day this way, along with a pretty decent amount of food.

I offer 3 6-7 oz bottles morning, afternoon, and before supper, and then wait half an hour for the meal if she's consumed the whole thing, and 15 minutes if she's consumed 4oz (which is rare). We have been doing that for about 3 weeks, and her formula intake along w food has increased on average 6-8oz per day! Sometimes she has even taken 20+ oz per day along w 3 meals of food!

Good luck (and I promise that has worked well for us!)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->