my mom was in labour with me for 34 hours..
i'm not sure if that's considered like "active" labour or what...
i'm assuming she means from the first contraction before they started getting closer together type thing..
i should ask, cause i'll die if i'm in labour for 34 hours.

It's called slow labour isnt it? my friend was in slow labour for 3 weeks...contractions every 3 hours

Slow labour can go on for weeks and is more like period pains
labour is when you're in contractions and can go on for 24+ hours
established labour is when you're 3cm+ dilated and after I *think* 12 hours they will intervene.

Most people who go into labour don't have prolonged ones, as as contractions are usually a gradual build up it's not like you're in immense pain for 2/3 days.

I was in labour from 7pm-9am so 14 hours, THEN established labour from 9am-4:15pm so 7hours 15mins so in total it was 21 hrs 15mins.

I was in Labour with layla 3 days !!! .
Thats active labour i was 3cm dialated , The Midwives kept me in as i was classed as active labour .
So yes hun very true . x .

Yes it definiatly can happen! My friend was in active labour for 3 days and they wouldn't allow her to go home because she was classed as active labour!

Usually if you have a long latent stage of labour (slow labour) it's your body trying to get your LO into a good position for labour. A poorly positioned baby can also lead to a long active labour stage, and is one of the reasons why it's better to keep active during labour.

marley's right. Positioning can prolong labour, which is why most maternity units now encourage active labours.

Established labour usually isn't more than a day, if it is it is usually due to complications. Lots of women find that they tense up in hospital, when adrenaline is released it will usually halt labour as the body thinks it isn't safe to deliver and will wait until you get somewhere safe and comfortable again.

Yes I am with everyone else!!

I was in slow labour for a week, and active labour for nearly 40 hours. it was pretty damn horrific as you could imagine!! It was due to having a 10lb3.5oz baby who was lying back-to-back though. 'Normal' positioned babies generally come out faster!!

I dilated 1cm every 4hours instead of the wished for 1 hour, and due to my ds's HB dropping at the begining I spent most of the time hooked upto a monitor in bed which didnt help the positioning. I should have been given a c-section but it never materialised as the staff kept changing and opinions changed along with them.

Im hoping for an easier ride this time!!!! Fingers crossed for me eh!!

xx

Thanks Nikki! I need all the luck I can get!! haha..

You should come over to July buddies. There are a few of us with simialr due dates and we all have a natter about general pregnancy woes. You could share some of your wisdom as you've had 2 children and some of the girls are first time mums to be.

xxxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->