A couple of random BLW questions

Kitten

Mummy to Theakston & Nyah
Reaction score
A couple of random/pointless questions...

- He doesn't seem at all interested in pasta, won't even put it to his mouth to try it. I'll keep perservering but I thought they were supposed to love pasta. I've tried pasta tubes, tagliatelle, spaghetti. I've tried tomato sauce, plain, pesto, cheese. No joy. I figure he maybe doesn't like the feel but any tips/ideas?

- What do you do for breakfasts? The bible says to keep it varied, so far we've just had buttered toast. I don't want to waste the free tubs of puree we've had until he's actually 'eating' more iyswim? I know the bible recommends rice krispies and corn flakes but I've also read that both of these contain the most salt of any breakfast cereals and it's a common misconception that they're better for children than other alternatives. Also, can you freeze yoghurt? I was going to try giving him cereal or fruit in natural yoghurt but it comes in those MASSIVE tubs and goes off within 3 days so was thinking of freezing little portions in weaning pots I've been given by people who didn't know I was BLW but wasn't sure how I'd defrost it etc.

- Is it OK for us to be hit and miss or should we be consistent? He's been ill so I dropped the concept for a day or 2 as he didn't have the patience and just needed the milk so thought it easier for both of us to have him solely on boob. Depending on what's going on I sometimes don't offer him anything for breakfast or lunch and just offer him a bit of my tea as I eat differently to him breakfast and lunch and so it involves preparing something seperately and there isn't always time. Will this confuse him or is it OK to just offer it when convenient? We don't have access to our dining table and highchair at the moment so I'm having to eat on the floor with him in his bumbo and he doesn't have a tray so it's quite difficult as I keep having to pick his plate up and offering it to him while I'm eating so it's more hassle than it's worth at the minute.

TBH my LO isn't over interested in pasta, he picks it up and tastes but drops it and doesn't go back to it. However we tried noodles tonight and he loved them ...strange! So no tips... other than go back to it in a few days week or so. As my Lo would not touch baby corn at all, but we gave him tonight in stir fry and he tried it!

breakfast...we've done rice krispies with yogurt (figured he eats such a little amout they are fine) ready brek and weatabix. weatbix is his fave. Toast. Fruit and yoghurt!

I think when you first start it is okay just to offer when convient, if joshua was napping or we were out wouldn't stress about not giving him any. We start at 5 and a half weeks so I wasn't bothered. We gradually got more consistent over the weeks and now we make sure we offer him 3 meals a day. Some days he's keen others not.
Also I would say with him being poorly I'd have done the same. We had colds last week and he wasn't over interested!

Sounds like your doing fabby :)

I guess all babies are going to like different things, he's just getting to know what he likes and doesn't like. Having said that, he could change his mind next week! Could it be that he's finding it a bit difficult to pick up? Pasta was hit and miss for us until we started using the pasta bows which are much easier to pick up and others have had success with the shells.

For breakfast, to be honest we do porridge just about every morning. She likes it, it's good for her, it sticks to the spoon so she can feed it to herself easily so it's good. I have done rice krispies with yoghurt and I'll do it again but she was hungry quite quickly after - obviously less filling than porridge. So I think I'll stick to porridge unless i know I'll be at home and able to give her snacks easily.

At the start it was a bit hit and miss and traditionally weaned babies wouldn't tend to have 3 meals a day at the beginning. Over the next few weeks though it'll become more important for him to have 3 meals.

Sounds like you're doing really well! :D

We've only just started so don't have any advice on the pasta (we haven't tried that yet). So far for breakfast we've done- baby rice (coz i had a free packet) but i gave him the spoon rather than feeding him (mostly he wore it and didn't eat it!), baby cereal (more freebies, same thing happened!) race cake with fruit puree, a mini pancake (those little premade ones) some scrambled egg (he threw that one overboard tho) and various bits of fruit. slightly baked pear went down well (i baked it with cloves so its slightly soft) and i gave him some baby yogart (this sugar and sweatner free stuff) and a spoon which he made a massive mess but if i gave him a loaded spoon he ate quite alot. And he's a fan of toast any time of the day :p

i think porridge might end up as one of our favourites tho coz its hard to find very many 'natural' suger free breakfast options.

I rotate weetabix, oatibix, and yoghurt with rice krispies. Also Porridge (plain oatso simple with fruit spread stirred in) we had porridge this morning, she ate a lot but whinged all the way through it so don't know what that's about.

I know weetabix and oatibix have small amounts of added sugar and salt but she only eats small amounts of both because they are very filling, and they are literally the only things I ever give her that have added sugar, I'm quite strict about avoiding added sugar.

About the pasta - i would just keep offering, one day he'll probably eat it. He probably is just unsure about what it is. Ruby is like that with meat, she picks it up but won't put it into her mouth, it's the texture I think, it obviously seems odd to her at the moment. Either that or she's decided at the age of 8 months that she wants to be a veggie!

Cheers ladies. I'm going to keep offering things when convenient this week then get some stuff in when I go shopping on Saturday and try and get a bit more routine/consistency happening next week.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->