A doctor who doesn't believe in progesterone.. what?

breakingdawn

Reaction score
Sigh. I have had the same doctor for 15 years. I really like him a lot. But some things we do not see eye to eye on. In August I had a super early m/c at 4 weeks so it was likely a problem with the sperm/egg something. Now I am pregnant again. Yesterday I went in for an emergency scan due to spotting and being an ectopic risk. We did see a baby in the uterus with a heartbeat even. But I still have spotting. What scares me is if it is a progesterone issue which I know can lead to early miscarriages all the time. My doctor checked my progesterone once for my very first blood work around 16DPO.. my HCG was 521 and progesterone was at a 17. He has not done it since because he feels if the pregnancy is destined to fail, progesterone won't help. Well I know for a fact it has helped a few of my friends who would have otherwise lost their babies without progesterone. I called again today regarding my spotting issue because now it is more of a pink than the light brown it once was. Of course he already left for the day so I have to wait until tomorrow morning. But I ask you ladies, what is the harm in just prescribing me progesterone if only to make me feel better? I mean if something is genuinely wrong, I will lose it regardless. But why not at least try? I am so lost and confused.

Have you asked your doctor what the normal range for progesterone at that point is? Doctor Google seems to suggest that 17 is in the normal range although I have no experience researching that one. Perhaps your spotting is for a different reason?

I think anywhere from 10-29 is considered normal around that time. But I know it can change and drop quickly. I just don't understand the reason for all the spotting. :(

It seemed like when I googled most ladies reported having around 25, some much higher. So while 17 is normal, is seems like it could still be in the at risk range, especially if it dropped rather quickly.

There is so harm getting on it, but there seems to be a lot of disagreement about it's usefulness and timing. Some OBs believe it will only help if you start it right after ovulation, others think it can help if you start it right after getting a bfp and others don't think it helps at all. I had low progesterone (mine was a 7) with my first pregnancy/miscarriage, and then my other 2 miscarriages as well, so did a lot of research. Fortunately, even though it didn't help, I had an OB who would prescribe it because he said it can't hurt. I don't understand why any OB wouldn't do that if the woman asked for it.

I wonder if he would run your progesterone number again just for peace of mind? He may be like my OB, who believes that once you are far enough along to see baby on a scan, then the scan gives you much more info than blood tests. It wouldn't hurt to ask though. And tell him you are worrying yourself to death and it would help so much to have a progesterone prescription even if he doesn't think it helps at all it would put your mind at ease. Good luck!

Well, how about BD? Have you been doing any of that with your partner? If so, it could be irritating your cervix.

Aside, I don't know why your doctor might not 'believe' in progesterone. Maybe he's read some research or not read some research. Maybe he goes by an old school of thought. Medical knowledge, particularly in the area of female reproduction, has radically changed over the past several decades and it's possible he hasn't kept up, particularly if he's a GP.

My suggestion would be to consider finding a different doctor to manage your reproductive care if you lose this pregnancy, as I can see where it would be difficult for you to trust him again.

Scout - that is good sound advice thank you. Do you think a progesterone of 17 was okay? I get so discouraged when I see all these other women who start out much higher. Also, would an increase in progesterone by chance cause all the breast tenderness and tiredness? Because I have a lot of that. Just trying to find some hope.

Arturia - No BD whatsoever since my bfp because I've been too paranoid. The only issue down there is a mild UTI which I'm now on medicine for.

My doctor didn't even ask if I wanted it, they just put me on it. I don't think that there is any harm in taking it even if your progesterone is not low. I know that I told my doctor that I wanted to take Aspirin. He said that although he doesn't believe it can help, it can't hurt so he had no issue.

My RE wants a 20 or higher for progesterone. Yours is a little low based on their standards. I would get on some ASAP. You don't want to risk anything happening when you could of just started using progesterone. They have vaginal suppositories that are really easy to use. I think you should demand a RX for some! Especially with your past early losses. I believe that my 2 failed FET cycles didn't work out because my progesterone was low. I had a chemical for my first FET and I really believe it was due to low progesterone.

And, Yes, the medication works, I saw my levels increase in my BW when I increased my progesterone amounts during my FET cycles because it was too low. Some women even stay on it during the last half of the pregnancy because of a short cervix, it helps with cervical length also. I am saying this because one of the gils mentioned that some dr's don't think it works, well yes it does. Just jump on the Assisted conception boards and ask!!! Other girls will chime in!!!

Sorry I am not trying to scare you, but I also want you to do what is best for your pregnancy so you are sure to have a H&H 9 months!!!! Big hugs to you hun!! :hugs::hugs:

My progesterone was at 16 and I now have a nearly 15 month old. My doctor wouldn't give me progesterone either as she said it was within normal ranges. I used npc to make myself feel better. Did it help? I don't know. Would dd have been fine without it? I don't know.

But you can have a successful pregnancy with progesterone at that level.

I've never heard 17 was low. :( Just anything below 10 was low.

I convinced my doctor to let me get my levels checked yesterday and I got the results this morning, 25.5. They said it's right where they want it to be and now just a wait and see.

Great news hun! I am so glad that your levels came up!!! :hugs::happydance: H&H 9 months to you!! Try not to worry and enjoy the pregnancy, although I know that is easier said than done!! :hugs:

Just ready for the spotting to go away! It seems to have gotten better though.

oh good!! I hope the spotting stops soon! :hugs: I had light spotting with my first pregnancy but everything was just fine with my twins!! It can be very common early in pregnancy!! Big hugs to you!! :hugs:

Thanks! I know a ton of people say it happens but when it happens to you it's way different, haha!

Oh hi breakingdawn! I remember being in a thread with you way earlier this year. Congrats! I'm glad your progesterone level is nice and high now to help put your mind at ease. I'm going through kind of the same thing with some spotting. I spotted with my son too and even though it can be normal it's never easy to go through and you can't help but worry.

Hey weebles and thank you. :) I have many friends who have had spotting too. I think maybe some people have a more sensitive cervix than others? I also was dealing with a UTI for a while so maybe that is some of it. Hope yours goes away soon! Mine seems like it is finally tapering off. I hope.

Hello i have had spotting and some big bleeds in my last 3 pregnancies, i am in the uk so they don't test progesterone levels, just wanted to say some people like me just bleed xxxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->