A few cloth nappy questions....

24/7

Mummy to Sam & Abigail
Reaction score
OH and I are hoping to TTC very soon, and after reading this section I really want to use cloth, I like the idea of it being better for the environment, and that there is nothing nasty touching LO's skin, but tbh I don't really have a clue and I have a few questions....

1. Do any cloth nappies come all in one so you don't have to add liners? I've had a look and seen some itti's that are called all in ones, so does that mean there are all ready to go? If I had a heavy wetter would all in ones be able to have liners added to help?
2. OH is not so keen as in his words he doesn't "want the washing machine full of poo" :dohh: So how do you wash them?
3. How do reusable wipes work?
4. Are the much bulkier than disposable nappies?

If they exist I would prefer all on ones, as it all sounds so complicated. :blush:

I think thats everything for now, thank you girls!! :happydance: xxxx

you can get all in ones but they can take an age to dry.

poo in early days can be rinsed in the washer before your proper wash cycle. when weaning they come out the inside of the nappy easier and can be tipped into the loo.

my advice to you would be, don't invest in too many of one sort as they might not be right for your baby. i loved itti's but the fit didn't suit Q.

some nappies can be bulky they tend to be birth to potty nappies which are though. however once your LO has grown a bit they slim down Q wears flips alot and now he's 7 months they're no bigger on him than a standard sposie.

there are a few articles i've written linked in my sig, they may well answer many of the other Q's you might have.

Littlestar has it all covered I think, but honestly, they aren't difficult even if you end up using terry towelling flats!!
As for the poo thing - it's only milk, so it's really not offensive & I just bung them in the machine. It doesn't leave the machine full if poo or smelly, you wouldn't even know you'd had dirty nappies in there.
Oooh, good luck TTC!!xxxx

If you really arent keen on alot of poop in the washing machine then use biodegradable/flushable liners...they look like tumble dryer sheets and catch the majority of poop (not the whole lot) but enough. Also fleece liners can catch a little more, then you rinse the fleece liner instead of the whole nappy (rinse with the toilet flush is good).

My AIO ittis dried faster than the SIOs on the line...as i let the hourglass part hang out. Other AIOs can take a while though.

Pockets dry quicker and arent that much hassle imo! Most of my nappies are pockets :D

1. Do any cloth nappies come all in one so you don't have to add liners? Like the others have said you can get AIO's but they do take a long time to dry. Pocket nappies are also a good alternative, what I do when using pocket nappies is add the inserts to the nappies in the morning when I get up so all I have to do when changing a nappy is add a liner.

2. OH is not so keen as in his words he doesn't "want the washing machine full of poo" :dohh: So how do you wash them? I rinse the liners off down the loos with the shower if I am upstairs or down the drain outside with the hosepipe if I am downstairs and then pop it all in the nappy bin. I found disposable liners to be less than useless and to start the poop was so runny that my reusable liners did nothing but now they seem to do the job. Modern nappies and liners just need excess poo rinsing off and sticking in the washer, it honestly is not as bad as it sounds.

3. How do reusable wipes work? Re-usable wipes work much like nappy liners, you rinse any excess poo off and pop them in the nappy bin and wash with the nappies.

4. Are the much bulkier than disposable nappies? It depends on the brand, style and how they fit your little one. For example the two main types of nappies I use are birth-to-potty pocket nappies which are very bulky and totsbots two piece nappies which seemed massive at first (but then again my son was not massive at birth) but really are not that bulky now.

If they exist I would prefer all on ones, as it all sounds so complicated
I think it sounds compacted to everyone to start with but if you do a little reading up about it and keep your eye on this section you will get the hang of what is what with cloth nappies. I can not begin to tell you how much I read up about them and still felt overwhelmed to start with.

Good luck TTC! :flower:

Thank you all, it doesn't seem as complicated as I thought afterall!! :D xx

Hey hun, this time a week ago I thought I'd never understand it but with the help of the lovelies on here and general net research, we now have a nice little stash building up of a few different types and will see how we go with Missy and will then get some more of the ones that work for us :thumbup:

xxx

One more question.... :D
Do you dry them on an airer or can they go in the tumble drier? xxxx

either - there are some brands that don't recommend tumble driers (ie pop-ins i tumble the inserts and air the covers) otherwise most nappies are fine on low heat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->