A few questions about new baby..

missjacey44

Jacey & Baby Tye
Reaction score
Hiii :)

Is it ok to give baby a newborn dummy? (hes 3days old) He keeps wanting to suck everything and wont settle unless hes sucking on something, usually my finger! Only while i was in hospital one midwife said No definitely no dummy for 6weeks and another said yeah i dont see why not :S
So just seeing what you guys recommend or did/do.

And one midwife in the hospital said make sure his nappy doesnt go over the cord.. But then one changed him and put it up over the cord?! These things make me so confused, I thought they are meant to know stuff yet different midwifes do/say different things!!!

Caitlin had dummy from word go ...in fact I've never heard that I've heard it can prevent cot death tbh!

Nappy - never told that either ...nappy needs to go on as it goes on obvioulsy if it reaches around the belly button area to have it looser! You'll know hun you won't let you baby be uncomfy which comes natural not as a rule.

If you are not breatfeeding then give him a dummy, if you are they recommend leaving it for about 4 weeks so Bf is established.

You will find that Midwives contradict eachother, just change his nappy as you want to. :)

The pic in my avatar is Lola,2 days old with her dummy.So it's your decision when you'll gove him one.

As for the nappy,I've never been told that...I just kept her diaper looser before it fell off.

:hi: huge congratulations again :)
yep i'm remember the bf advice, no dummy if bf for a months to help prevent nipple confusion. however i gave maddi a dummy as soon as we come home for the cot death reasons as wobbles said.
i too was confused about the whole cord thing, i think in the end i tucked it in as it seemed more comfortable and easier. you'll no whats right :hugs:

Ah I never knew the BF thing - Maybe thats why then :D

My hv said not to use dummy's cause of cot death.. although I had no intention of using them and Tom doesn't like them anyway so guess it's down to personal choice

My mum breastfed and we all had a dummy, and when i was working at the infant school evan the breastfed babies took dummys. If you bf I was told babies still need the feeling of sucking so after BF you can give them the dummy.

i have 4 dummies for him but i dont use them, it's mil who bought them
anyway, LO used to suck everything too and she gave him dummy to put him to sleep but as soon as he was asleep his dummy fell off his mouth and he started crying again, it went on and on, so decided not to use it because his sleeping was interrupted. But that's me

and when he;s awake i like to talk to him and he makes some noises like talking to me, that's another reason i don;t give him dummy

Now he;s much better for going to sleep,i hardly use it unless it's emergency ; like if he cries for no reason and i do everything to cam him down but nothing work i use dummy ( never worked though )

Do what you feel comfortable and congratulations on your newborn baby !!

I gave both of mine a dummy right from the beginning so I would do what you feel is right as his mother.

In regards to the nappy issue...I made sure it was loose but over the cord. I was worried that I might put my baby in a position(sitting up in car seat etc.) and the nappy would be underneath the cord,get caught and rip it off too soon.

Congrats on your little one!!!

I am assuming a dummy is a paci here in the US? With my older DD because I was so out of it and they didn't know I was BFing they gave it to her the first night. It was with my second that the lactation consultant met with me right away because of so many issues with older DD, and she made certain they did not give her one. I believe it is personal preference, but almost any LC I have talked to will tell you not to give them one in the first weeks if BFing to help establish their latch and so that they learn breast=food, paci/dummy=comfort.

I hadn't thought about whether I'd use one or not, but on day 2 my LO was unsettled and they suggested I give it too him and it made him so much happier and I never had a problem with him latching! Now at 5 months he only gets it every now and again. If he is overtired then he needs it to sleep otherwise he will go sleep without it.

I forgot to add that my younger DD did get one still in the hospital at a couple days old and only took it for a few times after that and is still BFing, so I dont believe what LCs might say, but figured maybe it was why the midwife said not to give one.

My hv said not to use dummy's cause of cot death.. although I had no intention of using them and Tom doesn't like them anyway so guess it's down to personal choice

Are you sure she said to NOT use them cause of cot death? Cause it has been proven that it helps reduce the risk of cot death? I think your Health Visitor is wrong??

Are you sure she said to NOT use them cause of cot death? Cause it has been proven that it helps reduce the risk of cot death? I think your Health Visitor is wrong??
I would think the same think, one would think with the constant sucking motion they would continue to breath and not stop and/or forget had it not been there.

You can get newborn dummies from boots that are tiny. If you are bf I'd leave it for a couple of weeks though. Although the midwives said to me that it was ok to use it after I'd been bf only for a week (Ally was 2 weeks then as he was tubefed before that). I have a 'sucky' baby and giving him a dummy did finally get him off to sleep when I was having an awful time with him!

oh and the cord question - we folded down Alasdair's nappy so it wasn't covering the cord but at the end of the day, something's going to be covering it (clothes or nappy) so I wouldn't worry too much. Obviously if it's looking like it's not healing properly it might be best to make sure you air it but you'll know if it's not looking quite right!

both my kids had dummies from day one, even callum who was bf.

we were advised to fold down the nappy a bit, supposed to help it dry out and not get damp?? but to be honest i didnt always do this, and the nappy did cover it a lot of the time and it dried up and fell off ok, all is healed now.

As for the dummy-we've given elliot one as he has a tendency to suck on my top for comfort (he must remember me b-feding him to begin with) and so gave in. He doesnt have it all the time, and doesnt go to bed with it very often. Usually just helps settle him if hes restless or has been sick etc.

Rihanna had a dummy from day 1 and hospital was fine with, as others say it helps prevent cot death??? As for the cord n nappy.... no one said anything apart from bathe it with a little warm water each night and dry with cotton wool. Hers dropped off after 6 days... x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->