A few questions for a newbie reverting to cloth

Poppy7

Trained BF Peer Supporter
Reaction score
Hi ladies,

So, I've been lurking for a while and trialling some BG V3's. I love them (even though I could only try pink on my LO :blush:). We have got on with them really well and have bought some preloveds today (14 BG V3's inc. liners, 6 bamboo inserts, flushable liners) for £110 including postage. I think I have got quite a good deal as they are only 5 months old and part of a huge stash so not worn much.

I was wondering if you could answer a few (some daft) questions for me? :flower:

• When you take a wet nappy off LO to change do you seperate the nappy? I am dry pailing and so far have been putting the wet nappies, still with their liners in straight in to the bucket. When I come to wash them I have been putting gloves on and taking the liners out (rather smelly! then. So do you have to seperate the parts to wash them or should I seperate them before I put them in the bucket?
  • What are bamboo inserts useful for (daft question)....
  • After using the nappies over night LO has looked a little bit red in the morning as he's not used to the wee being against his skin I guess. Are there any liners/boosters out there that would help with this or anything else as I don't want him to get a rash!
  • We had a little leak this morning which I expected as he fed a few times last night.
  • In the morning is it usual for the nappies to smell so strong of wee?! I guess I'm not used to it as disposables hide this? Hopefully I will become desensitised over time.....
  • Where is the best place to buy a wet nappy bag? I'm not after anything fancy or too expensive. It just needs to be functional and not too big (I don't want OH complaining)...
  • Do you wash your nappies at 60 degrees and on a wash load of their own?
  • Do you find you have to buy bigger trousers for LO (if wearing BG V3)?

Thanks in advance.x

* When you take a wet nappy off LO to change do you seperate the nappy? I seperate my nappies before putting them in the bucket and rinse of any really dirty ones under the shower on cold then squeeze out the water before putting in the bucket

what are bamboo inserts useful for (daft question)....they are a more absorbant insert so often people use them to add to a nappy at night or for car trips etc...
* After using the nappies over night LO has looked a little bit red in the morning as he's not used to the wee being against his skin I guess. Are there any liners/boosters out there that would help with this or anything else as I don't want him to get a rashYou will find either a bit more boosting or a fleece liner will help or perhaps trying a fitted nappy with breathable ( wool or fleece ) wrap overnight so the skin can breathe a bit more

* In the morning is it usual for the nappies to smell so strong of wee?! I guess I'm not used to it as disposables hide this? Hopefully I will become desensitised over time.....yeah it is normal as its more concentrated due to being in the nappy so long
* Where is the best place to buy a wet nappy bag? I'm not after anything fancy or too expensive. It just needs to be functional and not too big (I don't want OH complaining)...most nappy stores ( online ) sell wet bags as well or theres a few mums who make them
* Do you wash your nappies at 60 degrees and on a wash load of their own?mine mostly get washed at 40 in a load all by themselves lol or with other poop stained clothing hehehe, i wash at 60 about every 4th or 5th load
* Do you find you have to buy bigger trousers for LO (if wearing BG V3)? Nope not particulary, jeans can be a tight fit or slim fitting trousers but most of their stuff fits fine, i do need to get some vest extenders though

When you take a wet nappy off LO to change do you seperate the nappy? I am dry pailing and so far have been putting the wet nappies, still with their liners in straight in to the bucket. When I come to wash them I have been putting gloves on and taking the liners out (rather smelly! then. So do you have to seperate the parts to wash them or should I seperate them before I put them in the bucket?
I usually separate them as I put them in the bucket, or at least pull the end of the insert out of the pocket. They'll normally come out in the wash anyway but I like to give them a helping hand. If ever you have washed them and find one still in, don't worry about it, you can still use it - AIOs have the inserts sewn inside and they still get clean, they just take longer to dry.

What are bamboo inserts useful for (daft question)....
Bamboo (and hemp and cotton) are natural fabrics that are better at holding onto liquid for a long time. Microfibre, like the BGV inserts, is synthetic and is very quick to absorb but if it gets very full and then squashed (like a baby lying still on them for a while), it tends to leak. I use microfibre during the day and bamboo overnight. I've found a great combination for night time is a microfibre insert with a bamboo one underneath as then you get the best of both worlds.

After using the nappies over night LO has looked a little bit red in the morning as he's not used to the wee being against his skin I guess. Are there any liners/boosters out there that would help with this or anything else as I don't want him to get a rash!
You could try a bamboo booster/insert under your microfibre ones as that would draw the wee further away from his skin. Some people say you shouldn't use a fleece liner on top of a stay dry layer like the BGV3s have but I do overnight. Just a cut up piece of fleece blanket will keep him a lot dryer.

We had a little leak this morning which I expected as he fed a few times last night.
I haven't found pockets to be the best option overnight, but if they're generally ok you could try an extra bamboo booster and a fleece soaker/longies over the top instead of pyjama bottoms to provide extra protection against leaks.

In the morning is it usual for the nappies to smell so strong of wee?! I guess I'm not used to it as disposables hide this? Hopefully I will become desensitised over time.....
It is really, although it will smell stronger during teething or illness and especially if the nappy is very full. One thing you probably haven't noticed is how much disposables smell all the time. Sniff one in a few weeks when you're used to cloth and I bet you'll find the warm chemically, almost poo-like smell worse than the wee smell in the morning. Lots of us who use cloth find that we always think our LO has pooed if they're in a sposie!

Where is the best place to buy a wet nappy bag? I'm not after anything fancy or too expensive. It just needs to be functional and not too big (I don't want OH complaining)...
There's a good selection here - https://www.cheeksandcherries.co.uk/acatalog/Buckets_and_Bags.html. I know they're expensive but I prefer Monket Foot ones. Draw string bags are cheaper and ok but a little less leak proof!

Do you wash your nappies at 60 degrees and on a wash load of their own?
I normally wash at 40 and yes, in a load of their own. I just wait until I have a full load worth, but if I needed some clean I would be ok washing with baby clothes but you need to use only a bit of detergent and no softner.

Do you find you have to buy bigger trousers for LO (if wearing BG V3)?
I find BGV3 quite trim. Sometimes pulling trousers up is a bit harder but if you squish the nappy so the waistband goes over it, normal trousers fit fine for us.

In the morning is it usual for the nappies to smell so strong of wee?! I guess I'm not used to it as disposables hide this? Hopefully I will become desensitised over time.....
It is really, although it will smell stronger during teething or illness and especially if the nappy is very full. One thing you probably haven't noticed is how much disposables smell all the time. Sniff one in a few weeks when you're used to cloth and I bet you'll find the warm chemically, almost poo-like smell worse than the wee smell in the morning. Lots of us who use cloth find that we always think our LO has pooed if they're in a sposie!

This is so true and I didnt believe it untill I had experienced it for myself, sometimes if Avalon has a sposie on for night times,as we havent cracked them fully just yet, I find myself checking her for poos more often. Then I realise its the chemicals in the nappy causing the smell iiiiiccccck! :nope:

Hello- yay for a new fluffy bum! :happydance:
I LOVE BGs, i'm a very loyal fan, so I think you've made the right choice and got a good bargain on the bundle you bought!

When you take a wet nappy off LO to change do you seperate the nappy?
I don't.. I stick gloves on and do it all when I put a wash on. That's just because Kia's dad and grandad are both incapable if closing velcro tabs/ removing inserts it seems, so it's easier for me to just do it all myself!! :dohh:

What are bamboo inserts useful for (daft question)....
boosting! They are thirsty. So i'd get some and shove some in there when you use them overnight.

After using the nappies over night LO has looked a little bit red in the morning as he's not used to the wee being against his skin I guess. Are there any liners/boosters out there that would help with this or anything else as I don't want him to get a rash!..
see above! The most you boost the better really. And get some good fleece liners- I really recommend Junior Joy ones (you can get them from Cheeks and Cherries, or on ebay!) cos they are lovely and thick and the perfect size for BGs- they keep my bubbas booty completely dry.

We had a little leak this morning which I expected as he fed a few times last night...
boost, boost, boost.

Yep! You do get used to it a bit though. Disposies do hide it! I gag in the mornings sometimes cos it's so strong
:dohh::haha:

Where is the best place to buy a wet nappy bag? I'm not after anything fancy or too expensive. It just needs to be functional and not too big (I don't want OH complaining)...
another vote for MonkeyFoot here- they are a bit more expensive than other brands BUT they are fab, keep all smells in, never leak, mega strong, and pretty. :)

Do you wash your nappies at 60 degrees and on a wash load of their own?
I always wash my nappies alone. I do a 30 min cold rinse, then a wash on 50, then another 30 cold rinse.

Do you find you have to buy bigger trousers for LO (if wearing BG V3)?

Not really- jeans wont fit over him bum but all other trousers will! I think BGs are one of the slimmest one-size brands that I tried.

Most questions have been answered, but I'd just like to mention vest extenders which are great for stopping compression from popper fastening vest. They just pop onto the crotch poppers of the vest, and make SUCH a difference!

Thank you so much everyone!! I can't wait for my nappies to arrive now (hurry up Postie!!).

Thanks for all of the info about boosters. I ordered some fleece liners today but went for the Tots Bots liners instead of the Junior Joy. I hope they fit! I chose them as they were more expensive so assumed they were better :dohh:

I did treat myself to a Monkey Foot large bag in "linen morning glory" and 2 mesh nets.

OH is still being rather negative...I'll turn his view around when he sees how well it is going :thumbup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leoniee
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->