A little confused about when to go to hospital when in labor

Katy Bug

Reaction score
I know they say to wait until your contractions are like so many minutes apart to go to the hospital, but if I want very little medical intervention, should I wait it out as long as possible or go to the hospital right when my contractions are closer together?

How far apart do your contractions actually need to be?

I would wait until you can no longer talk or communicate with anybody during a contraction. If you can say with giddiness, "oh! I'm having a contraction!" then it's probably too early to go to the hospital. You could wait until you start to feel pushy...but then you might deliver in your vehicle. As far as how far apart the contractions need to be...I think it is different for everybody!! I believe 3-5 minutes apart is typical for active labor. Good luck!!

I went when my contractions were 3 minutes apart. It took 20 mins to get to the hospital and I arrived 8cm dilated and only 3.5 hours later I had a baby in my arms. I had a completely natural birth with no pain meds or intervention. So I would advise you to stick to the 3-5 minute thing. Every woman and labour is different and just because you don't plan on medical intervention doesn't mean you might not need it. I was very lucky to get the birthing experience I wanted but not everyone is.

There are great apps online and for cellphones to record your contractions so all you have to do is push one button when they start and when they finish and the app tells you everything about the length and timing of your contractions so you don't need to try calculate anything or remember times. Its great. I used contractionmaster and it was awesome.

Good luck:flower:

Mine were 6 mins at 7cm still! Basically when you ignore everyone, close your eyes and groan through a contraction you're good to go. I got there 8cm dilated :) x

My OH rang the hospital as my contractions were literally back to back but he was told as my waters hadnt gone to take our time. We left for the hospital anyway with me barley able to walk, got there and it was all systems go as baby was almost there.

Everyone varies so much. They can assess you over the phone to a certain degree. I guess it depends how keen you are to avoid interventions. If you want to avoid them then get their when you're really cracking on :)

I know they say to wait until your contractions are like so many minutes apart to go to the hospital, but if I want very little medical intervention, should I wait it out as long as possible or go to the hospital right when my contractions are closer together?

I was reading "birthing from within" and it talked about a midwife who would recommend baking cookies while in labor and to come in when you started burning the cookies as a result of the inability to concentrate on them well enough. Of course if you're no good at baking, this could be a problematic strategy! I have never been in labor and have no idea how realistic this strategy would be, but I found it interesting.

I was reading "birthing from within" and it talked about a midwife who would recommend baking cookies while in labor and to come in when you started burning the cookies as a result of the inability to concentrate on them well enough. Of course if you're no good at baking, this could be a problematic strategy! I have never been in labor and have no idea how realistic this strategy would be, but I found it interesting.

mmm... and then you would have cookies to come home to! (all except the last burned batch, lol)

It all depends. I have a feeling I am going to try to leave ASAP after my first contraction or my water breaks (this is my 4th and my last labour from 1st contraction to babe in arms was 2hrs 23min.) with my 1st they were 5 min apart but didn't hurt too badly I could have waited longer to go. There was a change from regular and uncomfortable to regular and bam very painful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->