a question about a sweep

mickey

Reaction score
hello there,

I am coming to this section now, as I delivered on the 18/11/07.

straight after giving birth, I have questions already :dohh:

my waters were broken, I went to hospital to get it checked, everything was fine, and my contractions came on naturally about 10 hours later.

I was told I have to come in every 12 hours for check up of babys heartbeat.

so I did and when I came back after 12 hours I was told, I tighten every six minutes (does this mean, I am contracting every 6 minutes???)
everything was fine again!

about 10 hours later, I felt like I have to go to hospital as contractions came in quite short intervalls already.

I def think, when I came to hospital again, I was in established labour.
the midwife on duty came, examined me and said, I was 2cm dilated, what I could not believe!

she put me on the monitor again to check on babys heartbeat and it appeared there to be a lapse in the heartbeat of the baby.

so she left me on the monitor for the entire time :evil:

she came about every 15 min, smelling of cigarettes, chewing on her fruit chewing gum and checking the monitor :evil: :evil: :evil:

after probably 30-45 min, I do not why - might be cos of the lapse (???) - she told me she has to give me a sweep and before I even could react she was in there already!

does she not have to ask me, if I am happy with it???

contractions came on so hard after, that I was out of the world :wacko: :wacko: :wacko:

and about two hours later bubs was out!

she was not there when I had the urge to push, I nearly wanted to rip off this monitor thing an go to the loo, as I felt like, I had to poo.
I would have pushed out the baby in the loo, if not like a miracle the midwife came, who took over the shift from this silly cow :hissy:

she examined me straight away, asked me immediately, if I feel like I have to push, I said "YES", she adviced me on what to do and after three pushes bubs was out!!!

sorry, this is rather long, but in my head all the time, as I wonder why she gave me this sweep???

any ideas?

and does she not need to ask for my permission???

thx for answering!!!

ps: baby had an apgar score of 9 straight after birth, and one of 10 5 minutes after birth! I really wonder what should have been wrong with the heartbeat of the baby then!!!

hi congratulation on your little one x........

when i had Abbie, every little thing they did to me, they would ask me, i had 2 sweeps, but i asked for them....... my waters were still in tact, when i was in labour, and she asked me if i wanted my water broken, i asked them questions, about it, but they never did nothing without my aproval.......

im sure that when my waters broke the midwife gave me a pretty rough internal, she didnt ask me if it was ok!

my community midwife said she wouldn't have done it without a reason!

I think I was just a bit shocked for the first moment, because she didn't explain properly what was going on and my contractions came on so harsh afterwards.

but, never mind, unleast it was quick :baby:

it only took about three and a half hours labouring in hospital and three pushes :baby: :baby: :baby:

You should have definately been asked if you wanted a sweep, but then if there was a problem with baby?!! I dont know!

I was left for hours when i had my first, i felt the urge to push for ages, but having never been in labour before just thought i needed a poo and when the midwife decided to check on me, i was actually fully dilated and they were like "have you not wanted to push!!!"

I was the only person in at the time aswell, so it wasnt like they were stowed off!!

She should have asked your permission before doing anything like this! I would be complaining if I was you, it was a gross invasion. Even if it was vital that it happen, she broke the law by doing this.

I was wondering what the law would say!!!

is there something written somewhere I can refer to???

I def will write a letter of complaint!

thx for answering :hi:

I doubt that there's something specificaly written down about sweeps, but I expect that things like the patient's charter etc covers performing medical procedures without proper consent. Get in touch with the citizen's advice bureau for some advice.

I will look into it, thx Marley :hi:

Congratulations on your arrival!!! :happydance:

You was probably given the sweep to speed things up a little, which it obviously did seem to do.

As for being asked, you should have atleast been able to discuss it with her and been aware of her reasoning behind this.

I went thru a rough second labour where everything was taken out of my hands and things was not discussed with me, I may as well not been there. I felt angry, scared and un-involved (like you would think that was possible with ME being the one in labour), It took me a while to get over it, but it has made me very aware of what I will be telling them I am expecting out of my next labour (one day)!

Hope you are feeling a bit better now babe! :hugs:x

Hi congratulations! Sorry you didnt have a very pleasant birth experience chick..if its any consilation, mine wasnt any better! Funilly enough i found myself asking the same question...i went into labour on a thursday although they didnt actually realise this until fri morn (despite me tellin them i was having contractions and being told they were just hicks!!) Anyway, my consultant gave me an internal examination and said i was 4cm dilated had a fiddle around. When she had done, she said "there you go, ive just given u a sweep to speed things along...!" I was like..do u not need my permission??! Did i ask for a bloody sweep??! lol It has really wound me up!! x

Hi sweetsammi,

congrats to you as well and thx for your reply :hi:

as time passed things have settled 'bout this sweep experience at birth and I must say now I think possibly 'cos of this sweep the birth of our daughter was really quick (only two and half hours labour and three pushes!!!), without any pain relief and complications.

so maybe those sweeps weren't as bad for us at the end :baby:

Thanks chick. OOOH lucky u hun! I was in labour for 15 hours and didnt have pain relief either- and i can honestly say i am now too afraid to have another baby! lol. My gosh 3 pushes was all it took?? Wow. You're lucky! Felt like i was pushing for hours lol. xx

yes, I can't believe it myself!!!

two and a half hours were stated on my hospital notes, early labour is not calculated though!

yes, but only three pushes and she was out :baby:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvi.H.
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->