A question about expressing

Penfoldrocks

Mummy to Finn
Reaction score
Hi :flower:

I have recently started expressing some of my breast-milk, for two reasons, one - so as my husband can give my LO the occasional bottle, and two - so as if/when we go out I have something to leave my LO.

I have read a lot about oversupply issues, and was wondering how often is it best/advisable to express? and what time of day is it best to pump? I would be grateful for some advice, or to find out what works for you. I am terrified of having mastitis as I have suffered with this previously. (was not expressing at the time) But I also want to make sure that I am able to express something for my LO when needed.
Would expressing every other day help not to encourage my body to produce too much milk??

Many thanks in advance :thumbup:

Morning seems to be the best time to express for me as that's when I have the most milk. Except for during growth spurts, Clara's first feed of the day is just from one breast and then I pump the other one and can usually get 3-4oz. I have no experience with mastitis so I can't comment regarding that. If you only want the occasional bottle then I would just express on an as need basis, but if you want to get a small stockpile for your freezer you could do it everyday (I pump twice a day everyday, once in the morning and once a few hours after she's gone to bed). If you do it everyday your body will adjust to that need and should supply just enough milk for your regular feedings plus that pumping session. Hope this helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->