A simple guide to wool!

Jetters

Reaction score
Clever mama's, can we have a simple guide to wool please?

Where do you buy yours?
How often do you need to lanolise?
What IS lanolising?! How do you do it?
Are wool pants suitable the summer?
Are they generally worn instead of a wrap, as trousers etc or as a night time wrap? Or do you need a wrap, too?
How do you wash wool?

I thank you!:kiss:

Not sure im such a clever mama but here are my answers lmao

Where do you buy yours? John Lewis or Snugglebots
How often do you need to lanolise? 3 times at first then maybe once a month, whenever it gets pooed on or starts to smell when dry
What IS lanolising?! How do you do it? dissolve a teaspoon of lanolin in a mug of boiling water, add some warm water to a washing up bowl along with a squirt of baby bath, pour in the dissolved lanolin and mix well, make sure the waters not too hot but not cold, leave it overnight, in the morning take them out, roll in a towel, stand on them a bit, then put them to dry, flat
Are wool pants suitable the summer? hmm im prob gna use soakers on leyla when were in turkey cos her legs will be bare and her arms and that, but maybe wouldnt if it was absolutely boiling, but then england never gets THAT hot lol
Are they generally worn instead of a wrap, as trousers etc or as a night time wrap? Or do you need a wrap, too? no you dont need a wrap too
How do you wash wool? it gets washed during lanolising :D

x

Where do you buy yours?

I get most of mine pre-loved, or from bums n roses, luscious little somethings, the nappy garden, soaring sheep, pixie knits, snugglebots, I think they all sell both wool and wooly clothing.

When you buy it, and if it smells of wee when it's dry. It will smell when it's wet, but if it still smells after air drying, it needs doing again. Or if it gets poo on it.

Use either solid or liquid lanolin (bought from the same places as above or your pharmacy or ebay or somewhere like that), soak the woolies in water with lanolin in from between 10mins - 8 hours.

Yep they are warm in the winter and cool in the summer. Much better than stuff with PUL in (like pocket nappies) as they are very breathable and less sweaty.

Are they generally worn instead of a wrap, as trousers etc or as a night time wrap? Or do you need a wrap, too?

When lanolised they can be worn instead of a wrap, and at night time. You don't need another wrap too.

How do you wash wool?

I do it before I lanolise it with wool wash I bought from Tesco. You can also buy wool wash from most nappy sites. I then rinse and lanolise.

:)

This info is great :thumbup:

A possibly daft question though, when sleeping in wool, does it not soak through where they're led on it all night?

The lanolin makes the wool waterproof so no different to a PUL wrap axcept it's more breathable x

Thanks looks like I'll be buying some wool as well then! lol

Where do you buy yours?
Preloved are the only ones I have atm. I am in the process of looking for nice wool to knit my own. I am going to buy some new pixie knits ones though I think...
New and approx once a month after that
What the other girls said. I just dissolve lanolin (solid) in hot water, add some cooler water to a tray with the dissolved stuff til it covers the wool and leave overnight.
Yeap, as has been said they are more breatheable than PUL stuff so it can actually be cooler. I am looking at getting more shorties for summer wear.
Instead of a PUL wrap. I used my wool mainly at night but during the day on the fitteds too :)
How do you wash wool?
handwash in wool wash before lanolising, easy peasy.

Just wanted to thank you for asking those questions and those that answered them. My Mum is going to be knitting some shorties and I was wondering the answers to a few of those questions myself!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->