A Super Speedy Delivery and a Bit of a Farce...

Reaction score
After a 3 hour labour with my first I hoped my second would be quick too- but not this fast!

My little girl made her entry into the world on 28/01/10- one week early.

The Delivery

At about 3.30am I started feeling some vague cramps in my lower tummy, went to the loo and had a touch of an upset tummy:blush:

I timed the cramps in case they were contractions and they were really irregular- between every 3 to 20 mintues apart. Just in case it was the real thing I rang up labour ward, the midwife there said it was unlikely to be labour as the pains were irregular. She timed a couple of contractions which were only about 25 seconds long "which is nothing". She told me to take a couple of paracetamol and go back to bed- it was probably a tummy upset.

A little while later I was still getting the pains, so I woke my husband and said I didn't feel good. I rang labour ward again and they said I could go in and get assessed. I rang my parents to come and look after my little girl and got ready to go to the hospital.

My parents only live 10 mins away, and they came straight over. The minute they arrived I felt an overwhelming desire to push and my waters broke. My husband rang the hospital who paged for an ambulance. My dad ran upstairs to see to my daughter.

I panted through a couple of contractions but couldn't take any more and just HAD to push. My husband was on the phone to the hospital who kept him calm and told him to get some towels- I was going to have this baby now. They told him that if I really needed to push I had to go with it and push. There's no way I could have done otherwise.

Instinctively I was on my knees leaning over the arm of the settee, my mum pulled off my clothes and I gave two pushes. I felt a burning sensation then the baby came out. My poor mum caught it without even having time to get her coat off. I couldn't move and due to my position I couldn't see my baby, but I was so relieved to hear her cry. My mum wrapped her in a towel. Afer about 5 minutes we calmed own a little and checked the sex- no one thought of it at first.

The Farce

The ambulance took another 20 minutes to arrive- they thought it was a lady needing transportation to hospital and were surprised to see there had been a birth. :dohh:They cut the cord, gave me gas and air and I tried to deliver the placenta but couldn't. They went to put me in the ambulance but once outside realised they had locked the keys inside the vehicle. I went back to the house to wait until they could open it.:dohh: Eventually we went to the hospital, about a 20 minute drive away. After what felt like ages the paramedic said to me "do you think we should be there by now?" They had got lost on the way there and I had to give directions. My husband was in another panic now as he set off after us but arrived first:dohh:

After arriving at the hospital I had an injection and delivered the placenta. We had to stay in overnight as there were no medical professionals at the birth so they wanted to make sure everything was as it should be.

My little girl and I are doing fine, my husband has just stopped shaking and my mum is very proud of the fact she was a midwife for 5 minutes.

Wow! Amazing stuff. Congratulations to you and glad you both were ok. Now, what about number 3? :wacko:

xxx

xxx

Wow what a story, CONGRATULATIONS, what time was she born?

Amazing! Congrats :hugs:

Amazing story! So glad all is well despite the 'comedy sketch' that followed the birth. Well done to all of you! x

oh my gosh! Congratulations!

Wow congrats..and well done your mum!! I bet Corry couldn't beat that story :lol:

Oh my! Talk about my dream birth! How wonderful! Good fr your Mom!!! Did you have any tearing? How big was the baby?

Wow, amazing birth story. Congratulations hun xx

Wow! That's amazing, congratulations!

If only all of us could have such a speedy delivery,
enjoy your new baby.

Thanks everyone for your congrats!

In answer to some questions-

The labour was actually recorded as an hour and a half total, with the "pushing stage" (when we rang the ward) exactly 19 minutes. Delivering the placenta took ages though. After popping a baby out for some strange reason I clammed up and just couldn't push a placenta out!

My little girl weighed 6lb 2oz, so she was pretty small. That was a relief obviously because of the circumstances and also according to growth charts in pregnancy it looked like I was on course for a 9-10lb baby!

I did tear a little- it was exactly the same place as I tore when I had my first daughter so I guess it was a bit of a weak spot. Like the first time I didn't feel it though, and it was too small to need any stitches.

I know it looks like I got off pretty lightly when you read some traumatic birth stories but it was really scary at the time. Now I look back I keep thinking "what if...?" because it was so fortunate there weren't any complications. None of us can believe the way it happened. It's put me off having another- I'll probably be ringing the hospital for every twinge. But I guess every mum feels that way straight after a birth, no doubt I will forget in time!

oh wow! congratalations!!! and very well done to your mum :)

what an amazing story. hehe, made me giggle that the ambulance people were so dopey. xx

WOnderful birth and a story to tell the lo when they are older

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->